Glee: Season Four Ratings

Glee season four ratingsThe ratings for FOX’s Glee series have been dropping for awhile. Will they fall low enough to see the TV series cancelled? That’s the real drama.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Glee is going to be cancelled or renewed for season five.

The fourth season of Glee typically airs Thursday nights at 9pm on the FOX network. The large cast includes Amber Riley, Chord Overstreet, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith, Darren Criss, Dianna Agron, Harry Shum, Heather Morris, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Jenna Ushkowitz, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Mark Salling, Matthew Morrison, and Naya Rivera.

Final season averages: 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.86 million total viewers.

Episode 04-22: Thursday, 05/09/13
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 5.92 million (+14% change).
Season averages: 2.21 in the demo with 5.86 million.

Episode 04-21: Thursday, 05/02/13
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 5.19 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.22 in the demo with 5.86 million.

Episode 04-20: Thursday, 04/25/13
1.8 in the demo (-14% change) with 5.24 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 2.23 in the demo with 5.89 million.

UPDATE: FOX has renewed Glee for two more seasons.

Episode 04-19: Thursday, 04/18/13
2.1 in the demo (-13% change) with 6.14 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 5.92 million.

Episode 04-18: Thursday, 04/11/13
2.4 in the demo (+20% change) with 6.67 million (+13% change).
Season averages: 2.27 in the demo with 5.91 million.

Episode 04-17: Thursday, 03/21/13
2.0 in the demo (0% change) with 5.91 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 5.87 million.

Episode 04-16: Thursday, 03/14/13
2.0 in the demo (-17% change) with 5.37 million (-20% change).
Season averages: 2.27 in the demo with 5.87 million.

Episode 04-15: Thursday, 03/07/13 (special 9:30pm time)
2.4 in the demo (+41% change) with 6.72 million (+31% change).
Season averages: 2.29 in the demo with 5.90 million.

Episode 04-14: Thursday, 02/14/13
1.7 in the demo (-23% change) with 5.13 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 2.29 in the demo with 5.84 million.

Episode 04-13: Thursday, 02/07/13
2.2 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.03 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.33 in the demo with 5.89 million.

Episode 04-12: Thursday, 01/31/13
2.1 in the demo (-19% change) with 5.48 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 2.34 in the demo with 5.88 million.

Episode 04-11: Thursday, 01/24/13
2.6 in the demo (+30% change) with 6.79 million (+29% change).
Season averages: 2.36 in the demo with 5.92 million.

Episode 04-10: Thursday, 12/13/12
2.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 5.26 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.34 in the demo with 5.83 million.

FOX TV show ratingsEpisode 04-09: Thursday, 12/06/12
2.2 in the demo (0% change) with 5.43 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 5.90 million.

Episode 04-08: Thursday, 11/29/12
2.2 in the demo (+47% change) with 5.39 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 2.40 in the demo with 5.96 million.

Episode 04-07: Thursday, 11/22/12
1.5 in the demo (-29% change) with 4.62 million (-12% change).
Season averages: 2.43 in the demo with 6.04 million.

Episode 04-06: Thursday, 11/15/12
2.1 in the demo (-13% change) with 5.22 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.58 in the demo with 6.27 million.

Episode 04-05: Thursday, 11/08/12
2.4 in the demo (-8% change) with 5.68 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 2.68 in the demo with 6.48 million.

Episode 04-04: Thursday, 10/04/12
2.6 in the demo (+8% change) with 6.07 million (+5% change).
Season averages: 2.75 in the demo with 6.68 million.

Episode 04-03: Thursday, 09/27/12
2.4 in the demo (-17% change) with 5.79 million (-22% change).
Season averages: 2.80 in the demo with 6.89 million.

Episode 04-02: Thursday, 09/20/12
2.9 demo rating (-7% change) with 7.46 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 3.00 in the demo with 7.44 million.

Episode 04-01: Thursday, 09/13/12
3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers.
Season averages: 3.10 in the demo with 7.41 million.

On a new night, with only medium competition, the fourth season premiere of Glee was down significantly year-to-year. In the demo, the series was down by 23% (vs a 4.0 rating) and was down by 20% in total viewers (vs 9.21 million). On their own, the numbers are still very good but one has to wonder how they bode for the rest of the season.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 3.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.31 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the Glee TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season?

Anonymous January 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Cancel it so bad now still can’t get other that Sam and Mercedes didbt get a story about breaking up they just don’t talk anymore like most of season 3 didn’t even happen. But that is what Ryan does so shouldn’t be surprised really. Defiantly got to go!

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:51 am

learn to spell. and learn to put a name on things

McKayla January 14, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I absolutely love glee! I got all the episodes and watched from the beginning about 3 months ago since i hadnt followed in the past. I agree that its sad that the old characters graduated but at least they still hav been on some shows it should definately be renewed.I really enjoy Finns new plot line. I feel like he will become a teacher and follow in wills footsteps. I think this is great he had the greatest connection with mr schuester and seemed to be most inspored by him so i think its a great plotline. O and is it just me or has Finn gotton really hot in the 4th season?!?!

Josh Evans January 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I watched Glee from the first episode all the way to the beginning of Season 4. Somewhere in between Season 2 & 3, it just started to take itself too seriously. It morphed from a comedy into a drama. A show like “My S0-Called Life” did an amazing job capturing teenage angst, Glee not so much. The characters on Glee are one-dimensional and the novelty of a musical television show eventually wore off for me. How much can you do with such stereotypical characters? I thoroughly enjoyed the show for some time and even saw the cast in concert, but I was disappointed by the strange and boring plotlines. The final straw was the second Britney Spears tribute episode where they used her music and then disgraced her. For a show that constantly fixates on bullying it was sad to see such a hypocritical display of embarrassment of a pop star. That being said, I feel like they should wrap things up in one final fifth season. Let the show end on its own terms and put it out of its misery.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:53 am

not going to happened there will be more

nathanandkurt December 15, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Oops I meant they should get rid of the new cast and just move the old cast to NY. I almost didn’t watch season 3 because I was sick of the high school formula andnow they r still doing it with new cast. So boring. Even as tallented as criss Michelle and colfer are they can’t make up for the annoying newbies for me. Bye bye glee.

Nathanandkurt December 15, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I feel like Murphy decided to take his two biggest iTunes sellers and push them at us constantly. Add to that the obnoxious new cast and marley who makes me want to throw my remote at the screen everytime I see her and glee is really seeming like a dud this time around. I used to love Rachel, Kurt, Blaine and Santana. Rachel and Blaine are seriously at overkill levels and I miss Kurt and Santana. Kurt is just being used to promote Rachel and blaines storylines and we never see Santana. And they made Blaine into a douche bag for some reason. Iused to crush on him but now he’s bitchy, selfish, needy and a cheater. Why glee? I prob would have loved the klaine Christmas scenes if they had had it out about whythere relationship fell apart, instead it was just ignored. And Blaine seemed less like he was their to help Kurt and more because he wants to get him back. And Kurt has no voice. He just looks uncomfortable and says nothing. Santanas bitchyness and kurts toughness used to make me love glee. I don’t even recognize them now. Seriously where is Santana? And Brit made that man hating lesbian crack. Rachel is even annoying me now and I used to love her. I wish they would move the wholeold cast to new York and get rid of the old cast. And stop doing things there audience will hate. Dynamic duets didn’t Appel to anyone. Kurt and Blaine fans don’t want to see Blaine depressed or cheating. Where were the old cast during the Christmas ep? Why doesn’t Kurt have a voice anymore? Sam is totally dull with Brit. The wedding thing was so boring and prolly upset Santana fans. I’m taking glee out of my dvr.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:54 am

you will miss the proposal of blaine and kurt

Eleanor Carley December 15, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Love glee,but think the old cast is the best. Can’t you make most of them go to N.Y.
Coule be a grate musical. Please keep in on

erin December 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Glee better get renewed for a season 5
I have began watching Glee from Season 1 through Season 4 I really care about Finn, Puck, Sam, Kurt, Blaine, Quinn Rachel, Marley, Jake, Kitty, and Ryder
Keep Those ratings up for a Glee renewal Season 5
I still enjoy Glee a lot, but there’s way too much to put into 1 hr with the older and newer cast. Many viewers who have watched the show from its inception are older now and more engaged by the NYC Kurt/Rachel scenario (great chemistry), while the younger viewers are similarly engaged by the McKinley HS crew (some good chemistry coming up there, but still rearranging). I was glad to see some comedy working back in with “Dynamic Duets”.

Jason December 9, 2012 at 6:59 am

I stopped watching because the Blaine character was to prominent. I felt I was watching ” The Blaine Show “. It would not be so bad, but the Blaine character is really annoying.

Anonymous December 9, 2012 at 3:18 am

I used to love Glee, followed the first season faithfully all the way till the end of Season 2. Have to say I noticed the quality drop since the later half of season 2. I was not so excited for Season 3, and was even more disappointed when I finally watched it. It was just not what it used to be. Now, the original stars are disappearing, these new people that I don’t even care about take their place, the storyline are no longer interesting, and those silliness that I used to love just became a nuisance. By now, I don’t even care if the cancel the show. To me there is no longer Glee.

MT December 8, 2012 at 1:29 am

I really think Glee should be cancelled. I have been a fan since its pilot and I have to say that Season 4 Glee is not the same Glee as Season 1. There is no continuity in the story line and the newer characters just don’t have the passion of the original cast. But most importantly the original message that Glee claimed of diversity has been replaced by conformity and mean spirited sizest, racist and homophobic jokes. Glee has now become the “mean girl”.

MT December 8, 2012 at 1:13 am

I have been Witt this show since the pilot and I have to say the quality of the show has dropped significantly. Their is no continuity in the story lines and the new cast does have the

jamie December 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Here’s an idea…. Since Marley’s collapse, the New Directions should lose and they need to really put the high school stuff on the back burner (or not the main focus of the series.. unless it’s about Finn and his new role as coach, or Tina, Artie, Brittany, Blaine and Sam (but tied in with the cast that graduated)). What they need to focus on are the originals that graduated (Quinn, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Mercedes, Mike and Puck)… do something that makes them all end up in New York (Mercedes has to record her new songs in a NYC based studio, Puck lands a role doing infomercials (based out of NYC), Quinn actually uses that damned metro pass and visits Rachel, Mike gets cast in an off Broadway dance number, and Santana decided that New York is where she needs to be. I mean, it’s not that hard. When you keep shoving the Warblers and all the newbies down our throats, it’s a turn off… especially when we have this original cast with such amazing chemistry and our hearts are aching to to hear more about their stories, their hopes, their downfalls, their interactions with the ones left behind. Little forced snippets in every other episode are just not enough and we eventually turn away.
Also, give Quinn a storyline that doesn’t have her being a psycho bitch. Maybe give her a story line where she finally starts to deal with all her issues and goes to see a Psychologist. Maybe she discovers that she has been clinically depressed this entire time and thought that what she felt and how she reacted to everything was not normal and she didn’t need to feel that way. She could pull in the idea that her family looked at taking medication for mental illness, or going to see a shrink was a sign of weakness, or that God would take care of it…. something a long those lines. The depression is a relatable storyline and one that could bring some really good things.
Either focus more on the cast that we love ( the originals… because that’s the only reason that I still watch Glee.. to get my two minute Quinn/Santana/Rachel/Mike fix), create a new “spin-off” series… only focusing on New York and the graduates (I would give anything to see a series where Rachel/Kurt/Santana are roommates), or just cancel it all together.

StrainAsylum December 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Truth! You said everything I’d been saying. And Mike’s moves in ballet-? What? NYC…

StrainAsylum November 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm

“Home/Homeward Bound” was very good. One down check for “Turkey Lurkey” mashed with “Let’s Have a Kiki” (having flashbacks of “Promises, Promises” and the Grapes of Roth from college days). Was loving “Let’s Have a Kiki”, but HATED “Turkey Lurkey”. Glad Kurt is finally going to talk to Blaine. Their relationship had an excellent foundation (built on friendship first), so it was stronger than others might have been. Colfer and Criss handled that scene so very well :) Had my eyes tearing up for real. Can’t wait to see the Christmas episode.

HATED Hunter, of the Dalton Academy – AND “his” song. Seriously. If I were one of the judges, I would have voted against DA just on the basis of his smirk. Sebastian, however, is more balanced these days. Plus, Fun. is just a lot more …FUN than the stupid Whistle.

Loved Tina’s “Gangnam Style” – expected to HATE it (not because of Tina, but because of the song), but it was done very well. Very glad to see Mike, Mercedes, Santana & Quinn back, but sad that Quinn has (again) lost her way. Her quiet self-confidence at the end of 3 was inspiring; I was hoping she’d use that toward a career goal, rather than getting stuck in a guy situation again (please-! Sure, the fellow’s wife hasn’t touched him in 3 yrs and – if so, there’s more to the story). Glad Santana is acting as a real mentor and actually caring enough to look past the surface. Mike, as always, is awesome (love Harry’s comedic side, as well as his dancing, btw). Always love Artie’s analytical yet street side. Glad to see Unique/Wade going the “be true to myself” route; Alex does it so well in whichever togs s/he’s in. Jake/Ryder is working into a good dynamic; this was short on Sam, but he had space last epi. Poor Finn never gets credit, but “Gangnam Style” worked well in this.

Really like the Orphan Party in the NYC bit (except, as stated, “Turkey Lurkey”); I can work “The Scissor Sisters” :) And SJP kicks butt, as always :) Don’t suppose there’s any hope we can KEEP her? And Khate (can’t resist) H.? Always enjoy Rachel’s insanity, mixed with her (now present) sexiness, but she really needs to start providing mind-reading pills or crystal balls to guys in whom she is interested.

Steph November 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

The dual locale scenario does NOT allow for coherent story and character development. I think it would be best (and a better hope for success) to have a NYC spin-off, with Kurt/Rachel AND Mike, Santana, Quinn & Mercedes coming in as often as possible (Quinn DOES have her rail pass :P ) and MS&M would rock checking out the dance/singing career development in NYC.

Back in Lima, Finn is improving as HS Glee mentor and it’s good for him (Cory works well at this). The Marley/Unique chemistry is pretty good and Blaine/Sam are developing well, as are Jake/Ryder. Love Artie working into direction, but would like more Tina time.

Jasmin Ransom November 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I only started watching Glee this season. I’ve began watching it because of the new cast. Previous to this season, I’d only watched 2.5 episodes on the show. It was just too ridiculous and only about 3 or 4 of the old cast could truly sing (Rachel isn’t one of them). And even now, the only characters I really care about are Santana, Marley, Jake, Kitty, Brody, and Ryder to a degree. So, unless the scenes involve those six I usually fast forward past. I’ve loved the two episodes that didn’t have the NYC storylines; More screentime for the new cast. For the first since the show has aired, I actually want it to be renewed for a another season. If it really is, I really hope Ryan Murphy gets rid of the NYC storyline and let the past be the past to focus on the present and think about the future.