Glee: Season Four Ratings

Glee season four ratingsThe ratings for FOX’s Glee series have been dropping for awhile. Will they fall low enough to see the TV series cancelled? That’s the real drama.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Glee is going to be cancelled or renewed for season five.

The fourth season of Glee typically airs Thursday nights at 9pm on the FOX network. The large cast includes Amber Riley, Chord Overstreet, Chris Colfer, Cory Monteith, Darren Criss, Dianna Agron, Harry Shum, Heather Morris, Jane Lynch, Jayma Mays, Jenna Ushkowitz, Kevin McHale, Lea Michele, Mark Salling, Matthew Morrison, and Naya Rivera.

Final season averages: 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.86 million total viewers.

Episode 04-22: Thursday, 05/09/13
2.0 in the demo (+5% change) with 5.92 million (+14% change).
Season averages: 2.21 in the demo with 5.86 million.

Episode 04-21: Thursday, 05/02/13
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 5.19 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 2.22 in the demo with 5.86 million.

Episode 04-20: Thursday, 04/25/13
1.8 in the demo (-14% change) with 5.24 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 2.23 in the demo with 5.89 million.

UPDATE: FOX has renewed Glee for two more seasons.

Episode 04-19: Thursday, 04/18/13
2.1 in the demo (-13% change) with 6.14 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 5.92 million.

Episode 04-18: Thursday, 04/11/13
2.4 in the demo (+20% change) with 6.67 million (+13% change).
Season averages: 2.27 in the demo with 5.91 million.

Episode 04-17: Thursday, 03/21/13
2.0 in the demo (0% change) with 5.91 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.26 in the demo with 5.87 million.

Episode 04-16: Thursday, 03/14/13
2.0 in the demo (-17% change) with 5.37 million (-20% change).
Season averages: 2.27 in the demo with 5.87 million.

Episode 04-15: Thursday, 03/07/13 (special 9:30pm time)
2.4 in the demo (+41% change) with 6.72 million (+31% change).
Season averages: 2.29 in the demo with 5.90 million.

Episode 04-14: Thursday, 02/14/13
1.7 in the demo (-23% change) with 5.13 million (-15% change).
Season averages: 2.29 in the demo with 5.84 million.

Episode 04-13: Thursday, 02/07/13
2.2 in the demo (+5% change) with 6.03 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 2.33 in the demo with 5.89 million.

Episode 04-12: Thursday, 01/31/13
2.1 in the demo (-19% change) with 5.48 million (-19% change).
Season averages: 2.34 in the demo with 5.88 million.

Episode 04-11: Thursday, 01/24/13
2.6 in the demo (+30% change) with 6.79 million (+29% change).
Season averages: 2.36 in the demo with 5.92 million.

Episode 04-10: Thursday, 12/13/12
2.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 5.26 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 2.34 in the demo with 5.83 million.

FOX TV show ratingsEpisode 04-09: Thursday, 12/06/12
2.2 in the demo (0% change) with 5.43 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 2.38 in the demo with 5.90 million.

Episode 04-08: Thursday, 11/29/12
2.2 in the demo (+47% change) with 5.39 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 2.40 in the demo with 5.96 million.

Episode 04-07: Thursday, 11/22/12
1.5 in the demo (-29% change) with 4.62 million (-12% change).
Season averages: 2.43 in the demo with 6.04 million.

Episode 04-06: Thursday, 11/15/12
2.1 in the demo (-13% change) with 5.22 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 2.58 in the demo with 6.27 million.

Episode 04-05: Thursday, 11/08/12
2.4 in the demo (-8% change) with 5.68 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 2.68 in the demo with 6.48 million.

Episode 04-04: Thursday, 10/04/12
2.6 in the demo (+8% change) with 6.07 million (+5% change).
Season averages: 2.75 in the demo with 6.68 million.

Episode 04-03: Thursday, 09/27/12
2.4 in the demo (-17% change) with 5.79 million (-22% change).
Season averages: 2.80 in the demo with 6.89 million.

Episode 04-02: Thursday, 09/20/12
2.9 demo rating (-7% change) with 7.46 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 3.00 in the demo with 7.44 million.

Episode 04-01: Thursday, 09/13/12
3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers.
Season averages: 3.10 in the demo with 7.41 million.

On a new night, with only medium competition, the fourth season premiere of Glee was down significantly year-to-year. In the demo, the series was down by 23% (vs a 4.0 rating) and was down by 20% in total viewers (vs 9.21 million). On their own, the numbers are still very good but one has to wonder how they bode for the rest of the season.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 3.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 7.31 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the Glee TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season?

erin March 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

It has been reveal that glee would be returning for a season 5
hoping it would be renewed for 25 seasons

Anonymous March 15, 2013 at 12:07 am

Cancel it already!

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:40 am

see people who post anonymous are afraid people

HoneyBee March 8, 2013 at 11:45 pm

This show use to be so good, but it has bled viewers since season 2, which is a sign of how bad the writing is. They can’t really keep enuf people interested and their story writing is pathetic. My 9th grade class writes better fiction. And the money from iTune and merchandise sales is a drop in the bucket compared to ad sales. If they can’t keep people watching, they are not going to sell ads. and won’t have the budget for all those fancy numbers. Unless things turn around, there will not be a 6th season.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:46 am

yeah but your 9th grade class is not on tv so maybe they dont

Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Ryan Murphy’s whole goal is to help people, especially struggling teens. The show is all about being who you are and not letting anyone tell you that you have to look, act, or live a certain way. It’s also about showing people that no matter what crazy stuff happens in life, things will always get better. No matter what situation you’re in or how bad things get, life will always turn around into something better. The show is crazy and dramatic because that’s how life is. It addresses real issues, and makes people feel better knowing they are not alone in their problems. Bullying, suicide, eating disorders, disabilities. These are all real issues that people have and no other show has successfully been able to discuss those things without people getting uncomfortable or angry. Glee has done so many different things for so many people and it would be a shame to see something so special get cancelled. I can honestly say that Glee has saved my life, and I’m not exaggerating. It may not be important to you, but it has played a big part in lots of peoples lives and it would be stupid to get rid of something so important just because a few people stop watching. It’s not like FOX doesn’t have the money to keep it going.

Albert March 8, 2013 at 4:50 am

I hope it gets cancelled so that “Murphy” will WAKE UP and see what he made to a once GREAT show.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:39 am

you people talk shit and you do not know how hard it is to work a show……

Albert March 8, 2013 at 4:47 am

I don’t like Glee anymore. It got boring and disconnected! The new casts aren’t interesting either. Hopes it gets cancelled…. so the great singers in the cast can move further with their careers.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:40 am

get the over it dude,.,.,.,.

CharlieF March 6, 2013 at 2:27 am

Opinions are all over the place. lol. People love Rachel, people hate Rachel. Same for all the other characters.
It’s really all about the money.
They should just get everyone to be vocalists and put out MVs and song covers instead. That’s what pulling in all the revenue anyways. The storyline just seems off somehow. Cant really figure out what. It feels disconnected and all over the place. Probably too many main cast.
Personally, I only watch the show for the songs anyways so it’s probably just me.

Sarah February 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Watching this formally brilliant show turned absolute pile of crap tank is more entertaining than the show itself. I have my fingers crossed that it dies as soon as possible, that this talented cast move on and that those writers never get work again so long as they live. The new team absolutely slaughtered any charm and brilliance this show ever had. It’s sad.

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:45 am

i am sad to say people may have differnt opinions than u…… people might have there fingers cross that this show goes on and lives,…… I hope you know what Karma is when you say that those writers never get work again as so long as they live hmmmm what if someone said that about you.

Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 11:23 pm

I absolutely LOVE Glee! Its the best. I’m 15 years old and its been such a great show for me. I have not yet seen season 4. but I need to. Its my favorite show. Its heartwarming! I hope they don’t cancel it. That would just be heart breaking!:(

Tiffany February 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I love GLEE it is a very positive show and it sends a good message,this year as been all about personal growth and finding yourself it hasn’t really been about the relationships that much this year.This year has been about the changes that we go through when we graduate and when the people we were once close to going in different directions this year as been about being true to yourself and learning to believe in yourself, and not letting what anyone else says or does make you, break you or define you. The story lines are incredible and so relateable I hope this series has more seasons to come!

Amy March 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I agree, glee made me alive. It keeps me from giving up completely..

Chris colfer/Kurt Hummel helped me accept myself. And I’m going to follow my dreams because of glee. This show deserves to be on tv more than some others. Because they, like you said, defines you. It’s not too fake, it’s individualistic, and so much more.

People shouldn’t give up on this, Glee should be on way after season 5, it’ll only IMPROVE.

Frank February 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Glee is a good show, and one for all ages keep it!

B February 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I agree, Frank. Good show! Good music! And what happens to “The Glee Project” which really is a damn good show!! Keep it…

Ann Mack February 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I really don’t care for GLEE any more. It has become extremely rude, racial, mean and cruel to its fans. They are trying to hard to push relationships (as though that is the only thing young people deal with) instead of any character development, continuity or strong story lines. I was turned off by episode 3 and from what I read that was a wise choice. I am not impressed by the NY story line either. Why is it that only Rachel and Kurt (however he’s been turned into a prop for Rachel) have more story lines. They may be fan favorites only because the GLEE writer are too incompetent to write for an ensemble cast. GLEE has become a shallow shell of what it use to rage against and has become it. I would not let my children watch this oversexed, degrading, objectifying, flesh driven show any more. It can change its format without losing its core root I think they may need to be reminded of that. I would not miss GLEE at all if it was cancelled it could make way for a more quality and substantial based show because GLEE is no longer in that category.

GTFO Ann Mack February 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Girl, you are crazy if you don’t think this all reflects real life, and you must have forgotten the innuendos and racial slurs from teachers and students in schools.
If you don’t laugh from this show, cry, get goose bumps, and don’t like this show, then don’t freaking watch it. No one is making you.

Jason January 28, 2013 at 9:38 pm

What if they are right Megan? You can’t deny the fact Spanish is growing in our country slowly, I’m not against it though. Yes, some Spanish speaking people are learning English, but there’re some that aren’t and those people tend to work in our houses, etc., mainly reason is that they do the job way cheaper, and the only way to comunicate with them is having to learn a few words, besides the fact that many people in high school have to learn Spanish as a second language. I guess the show wasn’t saying English will be erased and forgotten but maybe our country will have to be bilingual. In my house apart from my parents(they only know a few words) have learned good Spanish at school and that makes us enjoy everytime they sing in Spanish because we KNOW the words and they’re fun. It’d be interesting if they add a character that is learning English and his/her struggle with it and acceptance. Although I think Glee is focusing too much on romance lately and not in overcoming personal obstacles as they used to when it first started and I don’t like that much they covering hits of the moment I prefered when they covered 60s-80s songs they need to add more of them again. My siblings and I hope the show gets renewed.

Megan January 25, 2013 at 1:04 am

I left glee some time ago it was a real turnoff hearing a show stating that the Spanish language will be the American legal language in 10 years they should stick with the songs and keep on trying to show how bullies are wrong but don’t tell me the American language is going to change all our forefathers had to come here and learn the language why should. High school tv show predict that the Spanish people should learn English like all else did and I tired of glee and smash even though the youth flock to it

Susan Treat Herrington April 15, 2013 at 4:49 am

in choir you have to sing all different kinds of music

habibe January 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I love glee and would hate to see it get cancelled yes I understand that’s there a lot of changes but I still love it and hope to see a few more seasons from it

Anonymous February 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I loved glee since day one/things have changed a lot for season 4/i miss hs a lot but there is something about the college years;)something that brings you back to old glee