Golden Boy: Cancel or Renew for Season Two?

Golden Boy cancel or renew?CBS’ Golden Boy was originally supposed to run on Friday nights but its first few episodes did well enough for CBS to leave the series on Tuesdays. Has it been a success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Golden Boy follows the story of Walter William Clark Jr. (Theo James), a young and ambitious New York cop who quickly rises through the ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in the Big Apple’s history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The police drama debuted to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.56 million viewers. While the total viewership was healthy, CBS really needs their new shows to attract younger viewers. Still, a 1.8 rating was better than what Vegas had been raking in.

Golden Boy’s numbers fell in the next two weeks and it looked like the show was doomed to be cancelled. But then, the demo started to perk up and rose to a 1.7 rating. Perhaps there was hope after all?

Unfortunately, that hope was short lived and Golden Boy’s ratings quickly fell again. Last night’s episode hit new lows and attracted just a 1.2 demo rating with 6.99 million viewers.

Based on the ratings, it looks almost certain that Golden Boy won’t be back for another season and we won’t get to see the rest of Clark’s journey to greatness.

But, what do you think? Are you hoping that CBS still renews Golden Boy or should the timeslot be filled by something else? Is it worth watching?

Sarah May 16, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I love this show…please give it another chance! I will be watching!

Carol May 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Please reconsider and do not cancel Golden Boy. It is my favorite CBS show. Don’t abandon the show’s many fans. It is a good human interest drama with “feeling.” Please renew this good show.

Carol May 16, 2013 at 7:44 pm

PLEASE RECONSIDER! Golden Boy is a great show and gives a truly human peek into policemen/women. It is a good show I never miss, and I am usually not a fan of police shows. Please do not leave your faithful audience hanging….what happens to Agnes? What happened to Owen and McKenzie? They have become part of our family. Trust your faithful viewers. Take a risk….give us “the rest of the story,” PLEASE. How many more ways can I say “please?”

Willy Boy May 16, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Give the show another chance remember Castle had a poor start and it’s been on for years. The reason the ratings dropped is the talk of not renewing for another season.

adrianna May 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Golden Boy is one of the best shows on TV. CBS please give them a 2nd season.This series has great story lines. The actors including Theo James are extremely talented.
It is full of suspense and takes us through what Clarke went through to become the youngest Commissioner of the City of New York. PLEASE ….PLEASE GIVE IT
A CHANCE. There are other series that are mediocre and are still on air

Anonymous May 16, 2013 at 2:20 pm

alway watch or dvr this show, really sad to see it go.

Kathleen May 16, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Absolutely renew this great series!!! Give it another chance!! Great story line, well written and exciting! You can’t cancel now, with the shooting at the end plus what happens with his partner and his life!!! You’ve left us all hanging!!
Keep it going!!! Try Friday night….please keep it on!!!

Sally Zacharczyk May 16, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I love the show….I cannot believe that your decision is so “short sighted”….amazing…..we are older, wiser viewers with a large family who all love this show….give it a bit more time…..your impatience is costing you money!!!!!

Denise May 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love Golden Boy. I hope they renew it as it is something my husband and I both agree on watching and enjoy watching together…so much crap on tv right now and this is one of the good shows.

m May 16, 2013 at 11:01 am

Once again, the networks do not listen to the viewing public and then wonder why they are held in such distain. Golden Boy is an excellent show. Isn’t there some way one of the cable networks could pick it up?

PGGIRL May 16, 2013 at 10:42 am

WHERE’S THE PETITION TO SIGN TO GET THEM TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS??? THIS IS A GREAT SHOW!!!!!

PGGIRL May 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

LOVE THIS SHOW – PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL!!!!!

moe kemp May 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

My whole family LOVES this show. That includes 3 teenagers and 2 grandparents.
We would hate to see it go. It took an old theme (good cops bad cops ) and made each
story different. Please shange your minds.

Marie May 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Please do not cancel! I have watched most of the episodes and find them enjoyable.
It has a great story line. I think Theo is a very good actor, handsome too, and is perfect for this part.
His boyishness is appealing. The writing kept me wanting to see what it takes to be an
honest police commissioner.

Tru May 16, 2013 at 8:19 am

Please renew the the show I very much enjoyed the show give it another season to soon to cancel the show yet.