Golden Boy: Cancel or Renew for Season Two?

Golden Boy cancel or renew?CBS’ Golden Boy was originally supposed to run on Friday nights but its first few episodes did well enough for CBS to leave the series on Tuesdays. Has it been a success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Golden Boy follows the story of Walter William Clark Jr. (Theo James), a young and ambitious New York cop who quickly rises through the ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in the Big Apple’s history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The police drama debuted to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.56 million viewers. While the total viewership was healthy, CBS really needs their new shows to attract younger viewers. Still, a 1.8 rating was better than what Vegas had been raking in.

Golden Boy’s numbers fell in the next two weeks and it looked like the show was doomed to be cancelled. But then, the demo started to perk up and rose to a 1.7 rating. Perhaps there was hope after all?

Unfortunately, that hope was short lived and Golden Boy’s ratings quickly fell again. Last night’s episode hit new lows and attracted just a 1.2 demo rating with 6.99 million viewers.

Based on the ratings, it looks almost certain that Golden Boy won’t be back for another season and we won’t get to see the rest of Clark’s journey to greatness.

But, what do you think? Are you hoping that CBS still renews Golden Boy or should the timeslot be filled by something else? Is it worth watching?

BlueBlood88 May 29, 2013 at 4:44 pm

This is a great show I don’t understand tv now a days yall leave on bullshit shows like NCIS LA or whatever is on right before Golden Boy that is so not realistic. Leave Golden Boy on it is my husbands favorite show.

Karan May 28, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Don’t watch a lot of TV but always watch Golden Boy! Well written and bummed that it won’t be renewed.

Terri May 26, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Golden Boy was one of the few well-written, intelligent shows on CBS. You can have all those moronic sitcoms.

Brittanny May 26, 2013 at 8:43 am

I am 23 and I love Golden Boy I looked forward to it. Only problem I had it was not always conistant in the day it came on which irraated me. My Cops Shows I watch NCIS, NCIS:LA, Numb3rs(don’t come on anymore) and ,Golden Boy, Elementary. I say Golden Boy Needs to Be Renewed

Della May 24, 2013 at 12:06 am

Stop cancelling good shows and leaving stupid boring realty shows. Golden boy is an awesome show

Keirstin May 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

PLEASE DONT CANCEL GOLDEN BOY!!! ITS SUCH A GREAT SHOW!

Will May 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

It is an excellent show! Give it another chance. I would love to see how this was going to pan out.

Anonymous May 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Let us not cancel Golden Boy or Vegas. Why must programs enjoyed by people over 50 be doomed. We Buy, We eat and God knows we use Meds. Drug company’s make a killing on us. Advertisers make money of our needs and our kids and grand kids are relying on us in the not quite grown economy. So hell yes our money is paying for more than just our years.
Do not remove good entertainment. Please.

sb May 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I really liked this program and never missed an episode. Please don’t cancel Golden Boy.

Junny May 22, 2013 at 3:43 am

Hey guys don’t be mad but this time I think they are right. This show could not get the attention of viewers to stay on it. Unforgettable wasn’t that bad and was cancelled and they are giving it another try, so this could happen to Golden BOy.

Ericka May 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I like Golden Boy it was a good show. Please don’t cancel it!!

ZJ May 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm

You have to RENEW this show. One of the best on TV.

Sharon Emerick May 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I am so disappointed that Golden Boy got cancelled. It was one of my favorite shows. I never missed an episode. How sad!

Peggy May 21, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Please KEEP this show going. CBS is my main station. If this show goes ….. it would be a crime!

Disappointed May 21, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I really got into this show. It had suspense and real life drama. What a shame to cancel. I kind of sick of all these realty shows, they are a big waste of TV time. Let’s hope they don’t fill it with that. I hate to see this one gone.