Golden Boy: Cancelled, No Second Year for CBS Series

Golden Boy canceled, no season twoOfficer Walter Clark’s story has been cut short. CBS has cancelled Golden Boy after one season and 13 episodes.

Airing on Tuesday nights, Golden Boy tells the tale of a young and ambitious New York cop (Theo James) who rises quickly through the department’s ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in NYC history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The network was hoping that Golden Boy would perform better than Vegas — and for awhile, it looked like it might. Unfortunately, Golden Boy’s ratings ended up being pretty bad, particularly in the 18-49 demographic.

The episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.4 in the demo with 8.3 million total viewers. It’s one of the lowest-rated shows on the network.

The last episode, titled “Next Question,” will air next Tuesday night.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Golden Boy has been cancelled? What would you have liked to see in season two?

Canceled and renewed TV show

179 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kalin says

Please don’t cancel this show! I look forward to it every Tuesday night and it keeps you entertained with all the unanswered questions! And the actors on that show do a great job!! Atleast give a second season a chance!!! Maybe try a different time like 9pm instead of 10pm. Not everyone can stay awake late to watch tv!

2. Carmen says

I LOVE THIS SHOW! CBS did not even really try to promote it. CBS ran tons of commercials for Vegas, and it was not worth watching. Saw two episodes and found them over-acted by all. Golden Boy was a much tighter show. They should have kept it for another season. BRING IT BACK I know people my age (50) and my son’s (mid 30) watch it.

3. rebecca tillotson says

WHY! this is a great series. Please let cable pick this show up, please. I would watch it for 7 years if it takes that long. People are tired of all the reality shows and have turned to Cable, at least I have. Hope Cable picks it up like they did, “Friday Night Lights”. Golden BOy has great characters, Please PLease dont cancel.

4. sue says

cant believe it. love this show. look forward to it every tuesday night. cant wait to see how he got to be the youngest PC. please cbs reconsider. give it a chance to build. im sure that it would.

5. Leti says

I love this show! It takes time to build it up that “nail biting” sequence! I wanna know how he ends up the youngest Commissioner!!! I say leave it!!! And why does a show have to grab an 18 yr old?! I don’t know of any 18-27 yr old being home to watch tv!!!

6. Jake Wondra says

this was a challenge to get ‘into’ this series at first; the timing and flow are very different than other faster paced series. passing that hurdle after about 4 episodes, the charactors began to emerge, and I started moving this show up my list to watch. Too bad it’s not going to be given a chance to catch on with more viewers.

7. Bill says

I watched this show out of curiousity because I saw a scene filmed last summer while on lunchbreak outside City Hall in New York. Once it aired, I had a sense it wouldn’t do well for one reason: The characters aren’t likable. The first episode featured Clark obtaining information using questionable methods. So, right off the bat, the featured character in the show is not one you want to root for. Not only that, the message sent is that’s OK to cheat your way to get to the top. People do not want to see that in a detective drama.

• Heather says

Perhaps if you had watched beyond the first show you would have seen this is not true. This show is all about a hot-headed, arrogant young detective being mentored into a better man. He stills screws up but he’s learning. You don’t grow up overnight.

8. Joe says

What a potty. I loved this show. They didn’t give it a chance. Most of the 18 year old demographic doesn’t have any money anyway, so why are they so worried about it. Back to family guy type programming I guess…

9. Johanna says

I don’t understand why are the shows must catch the 18-49 year old ordiance. I don’t believe that the show was given a chance. I have watched the entire season and was looking forward to a season 2 and am very upset that the show has been cancelled because there are going to be so any unanswered questions