Golden Boy: Cancelled, No Second Year for CBS Series

Golden Boy canceled, no season twoOfficer Walter Clark’s story has been cut short. CBS has cancelled Golden Boy after one season and 13 episodes.

Airing on Tuesday nights, Golden Boy tells the tale of a young and ambitious New York cop (Theo James) who rises quickly through the department’s ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in NYC history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The network was hoping that Golden Boy would perform better than Vegas — and for awhile, it looked like it might. Unfortunately, Golden Boy’s ratings ended up being pretty bad, particularly in the 18-49 demographic.

The episodes that have aired so far have averaged a 1.4 in the demo with 8.3 million total viewers. It’s one of the lowest-rated shows on the network.

The last episode, titled “Next Question,” will air next Tuesday night.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Golden Boy has been cancelled? What would you have liked to see in season two?

RitaLee May 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Golden Boy is a great show and I NEVER watch tv cop shows—because they’re so formulaic. Chi McBride is fantastic as the voice of reason and wisdom which is so sadly lacking in most tv shows currently. Theo James I remember from Downton Abby—great acting versatility! Even Ron Yuan was quietly intense in the background as the CO. Also Bonne Somerville—terrific female character!! Lets not forget Kevin Arroyo from True Blood! For crying out loud!!! Leave some intelligent shows for folks who despise “The Bachelor and The Bachelorette”!!!!

Lori May 16, 2013 at 4:21 am

I love the show Golden Boy!!! There are so many unanswered questions that I want to know the answer too!! This is a great show! Please don’t cancel it. I originally wasn’t sure that I would like this show, but I watched the season premiere with my husband & love it!’ We always DVR it b/c we work odd hours. LOVE IT. Y’all are making a mistake by canceling so quickly!!

jacquie bellinger May 16, 2013 at 12:36 am

I never missed an episode of Golden Boy—great story lines, great actors, and really like Walter Clark—-please reconsider and keep the Golden Boy series.

Tom Shelley May 15, 2013 at 11:13 pm

It is the best police show on TV. Please don’t cancel it. It is too good for that.

Stacy Davis May 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I really liked this show and was hoping they would renew it. I can’t stand all these reality shows that they have on and I guess that is why I only watch two shows a week on this network and now it will only be one unless they cancel person of interest too then I won’t watch it at all!!!!

Deborah Smith May 15, 2013 at 9:51 pm

This is a great show! I didn’t start watching it until the 3rd or 4th show, but I’ve watched every episode since. I wish it would be renewed, as I looked forward to finding out how Walter Clark became the Police Commissioner, who he married, and of course what happened to his partner.

CBS, can you at least film an ending to the show?

Jennifer May 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Please keep Golden Boy. It’s an awesome show!

Mary Connor May 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I am sick and tried of networks canceling my favorite shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don’t cancel Golden Boy :(

Marsh May 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm

So very sorry to see golden boy canceled….great concept and great cast.
Lots of unanswered questions in season finale. Since it’s not scheduled to return CBS could have given the loyal fans a much better finale; like what happens when Clark’s sister gets in her father’s car; what happens to Clark’s girlfriend in the final scene; do we assume she’s been killed?

cdt May 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm

This is a great show. Please reconsider its cancellation. It needs more time to continue to develop the great characters and the interesting premise. Cancellation is a terrible idea!

sirgordon May 15, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Have enjoyed this show and never missed an episode.
Much more cogent line than Vegas. Better actors etc. CBS is wRong to cancel Golden Boy.

Anonymous May 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Good plot, good acting, good location shots … BAD CBS
I never needed to change the channel on Tuesday nights.
Now I think it is time to cancel programming execs

Paula May 15, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I really like this show-I think that CBS should reconsider renewing this series. I agree it was not given a chance…….what is CBS going to replace Gloden Boy with -another “reality” show?

STARK MAN May 15, 2013 at 6:03 pm

As usual….CBS (and all the other TV Networks) kill themselves telling writers and producers that they want – no – “NEED” original TV shows that are not just copies from a cookie cutter machine. And then when they get it in the form of “Goldenboy”, they fuggin CANCEL IT after ONLY 13 EPISODES !!!! WTF …. More proof that these so-called SENIOR NETWORK EXECUTIVES are being fed too much COCAINE when they throw darts at a wall in their programming selection process.

How can they actually expect us to allow any future show into our homes if they cancel QUALITY, while allowing the following CBS CRAP to be renewed: —> 2 Broke Girls, Survivor, Undercover Boss, Two and a Half Men, Mike & Molly, NCIS, NCIS-Los Angeles, The Amazing Race, Big Brother, Elementary, The Good Wife ( ??? ) !

“Goldenboy” IS one of the most original TV dramas that had a CAST that acted circles around Vegas and other DEAD dramas on TV today. If CBS plans to cancel “Person of Interest” any time soon, they might as well move to North Korea where quality is also frowned upon. I guess the rumor I heard at “Black Rock” (the CBS Building on Broadway in NYC) are true: CBS stands for “Crazy Broadcaster of Shit” !

RJ May 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Really liked the show, remember Friends wasn’t a big hit at first.