Grey’s Anatomy: Returning for Season Nine

season 9 for Greys AnatomyThere’s still more drama in store for the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital. ABC has renewed Grey’s Anatomy for a ninth season on the network.

The medical drama’s ratings have come down this season but it’s still the alphabet network’s second-highest rated scripted series. Season eight is averaging a 3.5 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic with 9.76 million total viewers. Year-to-year, the show is down by 15% in the demo (vs a 4.1 rating) and down by 13% in total viewers (vs 11.23 million).

On our ABC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative performance of scripted and non-scripted shows on the network, Grey’s Anatomy has an “A+” grade. There’s just no way that they would be letting this one go — even if some of the castmembers didn’t re-sign.

How long should Grey's Anatomy go?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

This week, stars Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Sandra Oh, Justin Chambers, James Pickens Jr. and Chandra Wilson recently closed deals for two more seasons of Grey’s Anatomy. Unless next season’s ratings take a big nose dive, Grey’s is very likely to be renewed for a 10th season.

ABC announces their 2012-13 schedule next week so we’ll find out more details about the renewal at that time. Presumably Grey’s Anatomy will stay in its usual timeslot. The eighth season finale of Grey’s airs next week.

The fates of Shonda Rhimes’ other two shows — Private Practice and Scandal — are still up in the air.

What do you think? Are you glad that Grey’s Anatomy has been renewed? How long do you think this medical drama should run? Through season nine, until season 10 or until it runs out of gas and is cancelled?

Nalin February 12, 2013 at 3:24 am

Don’t cancel! Keep the episodes coming at least another 3, 4 seasons!

Brianna September 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Love the show and cast.
Please do not stop making the show.
Make it the biggest show who has the biggest fans ever in history!

Nola July 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Love Love Love this Show !!!!Hope it continues for a long long time.

Lynn May 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I knew of Grey’s but never had the time to watch it. So last year I bought the dvd’s and started watching it and just could not get enough of it. It is an addiction and the Grey’s team is still doing a great job. So as long as the show runs I will be a faithful view. I can’t wait for Season 9.

Kayla May 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I have been watching Grey’s since season 1 and the epsidoes I have missed, I have watched online. I try to watch it faithfully every week. I think the show should keep going on. It was hard to get used to when Katherine Heigl was no longer on the show. She was my favorite; however, I love all of the characters on Grey’s and I hope that the show continues with the same characters. I personally like whenever Grey’s & Private Practice have crossover events. Private Practice is a great show as well. You have my vote, keep Grey’s running as long as you can. =)

Jordan May 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I have watched Grey’s since the first episode. I love Grey’s, but it has gotten a little boring. I will be sad to see it go when it does but then again i will be relived because i can finally live free on my Thursday nights. I will never give up on Grey’s while its still on air.

Kara May 13, 2012 at 9:48 am

I also love Grey’s Anatomy, but must confess that I grew bored with Grey many seasons ago. It is because of the other characters that I continued to watch. I am glad that she and Christina are finally accepting their husbands as their person. Maybe they will have some depth. I was a big fan of Friends, though, too. Sometimes a series is better when it goes out before every story line is played out and every one is bored with the characters. Since that hasn’t happened yet with Greys, maybe they need to think of a conclusion. It happened on Friends, it ran about 2 season too long.

Christy and Troy May 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

All time favorite . We watch it faithfully every week, even if we have to DVRit and watch later!

Adam Leite May 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I have not missed one Grey’s Anatomy Episode since season 3. It is like they are my family now. I hated to see the end of the past season, when all the doctors moved away. It felt like anyone who stayed had reached the end of their lives. Then, there is the crashed airplane scene. The problem with this season was that the gravity center shifted from Meredith and Shepherd to the others. Also, we are attached so some characters. If they remove them now, the show will kill itself.

Nat May 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Been watching since day 1 and I cannot stop. I re-watch the seasons before the new one starts always! Please keep going! :)

Melody May 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

Sooooo excited!! I think it should run as long as it has viewers. It is my favorite!!

leah May 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I LOVE GREY’S ANATOMY. the moment it’s gone, is the moment i will be verrrrrry very sad. :( do ratings show up on hulu? because i know that is a very common way of watching. i don’t watch grey’s on a real tv, i just watch it on hulu. soo… it would be stupid if nine is the last one.

Jamie May 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I love Greys anatomy. Watched since day 1. I think the reasons for the low rating is because 1. Some times the story line gets boring 2, they don’t play new exposes every week. They go 3-4 weeks without a new show!

aseel May 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Shonda please please please bring katherine heigl back as one of the doctors who want to work at seatle grace mercy west