Halt and Catch Fire: Season One Ratings

Halt and Catch Fire TV show ratingsHBO has found some success with their Silicon Valley TV show. How will AMC do with Halt and Catch Fire, another drama about the computer industry? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Stay tuned!

Halt and Catch Fire takes place in the 1980s and follows the team at Cardiff Electric as they try to take on IBM in the home computer market. The cast includes Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Mackenzie Davis, Kerry Bishé, Toby Huss, and David Wilson Barnes.

The ratings are typically the best indication of a show’s chances of staying on the air. The higher the ratings, the better the chances for survival. This chart will be updated as new ratings data becomes available — typically on Tuesdays.

8/20 update: AMC has renewed Halt and Catch Fire for a second season.

Final season averages: 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 760,000 total viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the Halt and Catch Fire TV series? How many seasons do you think it should run?

Jack September 2, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Kind of sad to see it is renewed as I will be forced to watch along side my wife who is willing to give it another chance. Sigh. I like the premise of the show, but feel like it has run out of steam. I find the main characters to be fairly one dimensional. Its getting really tiring seeing Joe MacMillan have these over the top tantrums with his baseball bat and ball etc. I guess his dark past is supposed to be really compelling? At this point he just seems like a spoiled baby with some decent sales skills. Boring boring boring! Gordon’s character is just so whinny and pathetic it makes me want to puke. This whole plot line with Cameron’s new start up is looking like a real yawn fest. In the end, I guess I just don’t care what happens to any of these characters. AMC has made some really amazing shows, (ie Breaking Bad, Mad Men and at times Walking Dead). I am getting pretty worried if it’s true that Halt and Catch Fire is the best they have in the pipeline to replace these outgoing shows.

Art September 2, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I don’t know if you worked in tech or what company you worked for, I recognize these traits in many of my former managers and co-workers. That’s one of the aspects of the show that got me hooked. The characters are obviously well-researched because it can’t be an accident that they are so typical of the people in those days. We were shooting in the dark most of the time. There were specialists who were geniuses at what they did, be it coding in C or assembly, VLSI design, system architecture etc. Thosee talents needed to be directed towards a goal that would product a product, be it an algorithm or a beige box. The product managers of those days were usually ex-tech workers who were put in suits and dropped into a job that they had no qualifications for. Hence, you get a Joe. a great BS artist trying to prove he can lead and motivate, but everyone could see through him and tell he was faking it. I had many managers like that. As for the start ups, to me it just represents corporate ex-pats who for various reasons had had enough of the politics and in-fighting and left to do their own thing. Most of them crashed and burned but some worked out. Halt and Catch Fire is a pretty accurate representation of life in the emerging world of PCs and networking. If that’s not something nostalgic to you, just try to sit back and absorb how the world changed back in the early eighties, despite some misguided attempts to screw it up. Whatever the interpersonal dynamics, which are needed to flesh out the characters, it’s a fun trip back in time, and I personally am glad that AMC had the vision to see the great potential in the subject matter.

Duane August 23, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Glad they renewed it! Was a surprise though.

cam pesh August 21, 2014 at 4:44 pm

this is really great news. I was wondering what to do for quiet entertainment on sunday nites next season without this amazing, and amazingly written and acted, series to look forward to.

the “leads” joe, Cameron, donna, and Gordon, are fun to watch – lee pace is the best actor I’ve seen since a young al pacino, Robert de niro, or kevin spacey first burst onto the scene last century (I guess i’m dating myself!).
He can be adorable, playful, and down-right scary good within the space of an episode. wow. love this show, and I hope it pulls a “mad-men” or “breaking bad” and sticks around for many more seasons.
I know it’s been a sleeper for amc, but I think their patience will pay them big dividends with this one. thanks AMC!

Ana August 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm

WOW! Thank you for renewing the show, it’s amazing news! *So Happy* :))))

Robbie August 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm

As a Christian man, this show offended me on so many levels. Wish they air good wholesome shows like Touched By An Angel or The Walton’s.

Theuresa Maven August 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Robbie: If the show offends you, change the channel; do not watch the program. Television programs that may be more to your liking, such as The Waltons, Touched By an Angel, and Dr. Quinn, etc. are currently showing on basic cable, as well as many other television programs dating all the way back to the 1950’s like Hopalong Cassidy, The Cisco Kid, and The Lone Ranger, or Kojak, Columbo, and The Rockford Files. May I suggest that basic cable stations such as COZI TV, METV (my personal favorite), ANTENNAE TV, THISTV, WGN, WZME, TCM (old movies without commercials), HALLMV, HALLRX, ABCFAM, and of course, TVLAND, may be what you’re after. Regarding Masters of Sex, I had read the book, and was curious as to how it was going to be presented on television. As a child, I had seen an interview with the real Masters and Johnson, and the real Dr. Masters seemed even more repressed than he is being represented in the series. Sex aside, I was even more interested in the historical aspect of the program because the study had a highly significant impact on the social evolution of the world, and how people interact with one another. The only problem that I had with the program was the introduction of such fictional characters as Lilliam DePaul, which is no longer an issue.

Theuresa Maven August 20, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Oops! How did I get here? My email directed me here. Sorry, but my comments of Masters still stands.

fred August 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I watched the 3rd episode and saw it to be more of the vile stuff a segment of Hollywood is hell bent on shoving down our throats. Glad to see others agree with me by changing the channel. Although they were renewed I doubt they will actually have a next season that goes beyond an episode or 2.

Marie August 13, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Any news about a renewal yet?

admin August 13, 2014 at 6:56 pm

No, not yet.

colonel August 6, 2014 at 4:46 pm

The finale was filmed before the first show aired so it was not intended as a series finale.
The show started low in ratings, with first ep, that is the problem, no one watched as the name is really stupid and does not say what the show is about.
I enjoyed watching the series, but there were times that it was unappealing.
Hope it gets a S-2 but not getting my hopes up with the bad ratings.
I hear AMC owns the show, so that may keep it going.

alex August 5, 2014 at 11:28 am

Excellent show – cannot imagine it would not be renewed.

Englevakten August 4, 2014 at 10:26 pm

This show catches the nostalgic momentum that so many of us old school geeks long for.

Why we got into computers to begin with. Why we spend extensive time playing with our electronics. Our type, we’re here in abundance, and the need to get the word out that this is a “real” feel good reason why we got hooked to begin with… It often takes multiple seasons before you really catch the eye of a target group, but the production of HACF gets the attention of so many others in addition. Us, the geeks, we’ve just been waiting for a series that gets into the heart of why and how the society started with electronic niche needs… Just like Hackers and somewhat Silicon Valley HACF gives the feeling of consent and belonging from a time when the concept of using a computer for more than spreads was frowned upon.

The whole concept has so much to build on; the series can come together again. But it doesn’t need to. Take any one of those paths at the end of the season, and there’s a new story just waiting to be told. Keep it on the air. And if no, just know some other production is going to milk the concept!

Englevakten

p maloney August 4, 2014 at 6:41 pm

I really liked the show. Saw every episode. Hope it makes it for another season or more.Think it should be given a chance. Sienfield started out with little viewership-but it ended up a real winner.

Art August 4, 2014 at 10:36 am

The season finale definitely gave the impression that this is the end of HACF. Each of the main characters have gone their separate ways. Reuniting them seems unlikely and it’s a perfect set up for the end of the series. That being said, it could see another season because of several plot points: The fried shipment: I got the impression that the truck contained empty boxes to make it look as if the manufacturer had performed a miracle. The product hadn’t even been beta tested! To ship seemed unlikely. It was another of Joe’s stunts, in my opinion. Cameron will probably hire Gordon because he is a brilliant but flawed engineer who has no company to lead. Mutiny will need PR, sales, product management, etc. A new Joe may re-emerge from his travels, transformed in some way we can’t imagine, but he could have real potential to become a Jobs-type charismatic leader instead of an insecure bs artist. Just my two cents. AMC, I’m available for consulting!

Lori McCaughey August 4, 2014 at 8:37 am

Never watched AMC until I stumbled across Halt and Catch Fire, with a cast and storyline that I thoroughly enjoy, both in real time showings and via dvr…and yes, it has made me consider other AMC offerings. Halt’s great scripts and characters captured some of the significant ideas and idea-people that helped create and advance technologies the ordinary man would never have thought possible…and makes us care about the outcome, not only for the people, but the machine. The storyline holds so much promise and continues to lure us with what the future may hold. This show, its’ writers and cast deserve a chance to catch fire. Please let me know if it is renewed.

Marian August 4, 2014 at 12:52 am

Last week’s episode – ending with the intro of the Macintosh – really made me think tonight’s finale was going to be something great. But, it fell apart on so many levels and we kept having to rewind it as there were many “HUH?” moments. It was really weird that nothing NOTHING NOTHING was said about the fried shipment….and what was Joe doing wandering around looking for some observatory? Too much was unanswered….and how was Cameron going to pay salaries?

It’s too bad – I don’t think this is coming back…

Chris August 3, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Eaze – I hope that’s not true. I agree this season was a great standalone story in it’s own right, but I loved this show! It took a little while to get started but it truly has/had potential to be the next Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

That being said, I saw an interview on another site: the creators didn’t sound too confident that the show would be continuing and the ratings are abysmal.

Also, I don’t know if the show could generate the same momentum and quality of story line moving forward..

Eaze August 20, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Well Chris, we get to watch season two!!! I’m excited, but I’m actually more shocked that they got renewed seeing how low the ratings were. They must have made a profit…perhaps with low production costs coupled with the summer season where low profits and losses are expected? I really don’t know. It’s an absolute head scratcher on my end. All that I can say is that I’m happy.

In any case, the writers and producers better knock season two out of the ballpark because I don’t see a 3rd season renewal with similar ratings. It’s a show that’s on life support, and I’m there rooting for it to survive all the way.

Art August 21, 2014 at 9:56 am

Great news about season two. The writers and creators must have pitched a kick ass story line to get renewed. Sometimes studio execs see past first season rating and bet on potential. Seinfeld’s first season ratings were abysmal and it ran nine seasons. Also, FX is premiering a boat load of new shows to compete with premium cable.
I say it’s a good bet that season two will really build fan base.

Eaze August 3, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I have enjoyed this show, but I think I have come to the realization that it’s not going to come back for another season. It’s sad because there is a lot of potential with the cast and storyline. After watching the last episode of the season, it eerily feels as though the show knows it’s not returning. I’m interested to see how what was broken in the season finale can be repaired in a hypothetical season 2; but again, I don’t think we’ll get there. Although I will be disappointed, I think I can live with imagining what the characters went on to do as some sort of way of coping with the loss of the show.