Hank: Kelsey Grammer Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Hank cancelledTo no surprise, ABC has cancelled freshman sitcom Hank. The Kelsey Grammer show failed to catch on with critics or many viewers.

Hank revolves around a Wall Street CEO who’s kicked out of his own company and must relocate with his family to his small hometown in Virginia. Aside for Grammer, the series stars Melinda McGraw, David Koechner, Jordan Hinson, and Nathan Gamble.

The sitcom got off to a slow start on September 30th with a 2.1 rating in the demo and 8.34 million total viewers. The numbers got worse from there and last week Hank hit a series low of a 1.3 rating and 5.09 million viewers.

It’s been assumed that the show would be cancelled for awhile now, especially since ABC handed out full season orders to all of its other freshman sitcoms; The Middle, Modern Family, and Cougartown.

ABC confirmed the cancellation of Hank today and said that production is being halted after 10 episodes. The sitcom’s end comes on the heels of the cancellation of another struggling Wednesday night show, Eastwick.

Five episodes of Hank have been aired so far and it’s unclear whether or not the network will get around to showing the remaining five at some point in the future.

For now, Hank’s timeslot will be filled with repeats and specials.

What do you think? Was this show as bad as so many people think? Was there anything that could’ve been done to fix it?

Anonymous December 1, 2009 at 8:46 pm

not suprised. compared to the other 3 in that line up it was by far the weakest. i thought it was funny, but i am easily amused.

Doug December 1, 2009 at 2:45 pm

It’s a shame but I’m not surprised. If any show (like this one) has little sex appeal, it’s doomed from the start. No wonder I choose to watch old TV programming on DVD. Hank, wasn’t all that bad, if fact, the Thanksgiving episode was one of the best. I would honestly like to see the remaining 5 which didn’t air. Seeing most of the crap ABC airs, Hank looks splendid and has some family values and it has believable situations. Network Television for the most part is awful. No wonder viewer interest is up via the internet.

Lisa Frey December 1, 2009 at 11:34 am

I think it’s extremely annoying. Hank had some funny episodes that made me laugh out loud. Mostly I am disappointed that once again ABC has canceled a show without giving it a chance. The worse part is once again they already have more episodes they could air…why not at least air those? I don’t even want to watch the station any more. It infuriates me. They did this to Defying Gravity as well… right when the episodes were getting exciting and I was getting hooked. Of course I could name the others i.e. In the Motherhood but there’s no room for all of them in this post. I really need to not watch anything until it’s picked up for at least one more season.

frank lepore November 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I enjoyed the first few episodes. I saw steady improvement. I don’t think abc gave it long enough. Look what happened to sienfeld. nbc gave it time to develop and gain an audience.

Kathy November 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

I really enjoyed the show and I’m very sorry to see it end.
Please reconsider.
kk

Kenny C. November 25, 2009 at 11:56 pm

ABC blow this one BIG TIME as Hank was way better than The Middle, Modern Family, and Cougartown!!!

Even my wife who is not much on comedies and doesn’t even care much for Kelsey Grammer agrees me which she doesn’t do very often, (lol) that Hank is much better than The Middle, Modern Family, and Cougartown.

I thought David Koechner who played Grady Funk made the show unbelievably funny.

smokin November 25, 2009 at 8:17 pm

For those who didn’t like Hank, well now you can go watch a real intelligent show like Dancing with the morons, or some other stupid shit that consumes all of tv nowadays. Just because they didn’t swear or sleep around with every living person on earth, some didn’t like it. I for one watch very little of the 3 big networks because of this, so ABC, you can kiss my ass for dropping Hank.

Robert Perkins November 25, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I thought the show was great, I will miss it.

TomM November 25, 2009 at 1:17 pm

The sitcom’s end comes on the HEALS of the cancellation of another struggling Wednesday night show, Eastwick.

This should be HEELS

Tom November 25, 2009 at 8:35 am

i’ll miss Hank. it was good fun and the cast was great.

Cheryl Adam November 24, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Our family looked forward every Wednesday to watching Hank . |Why do you take a good family show off and left modern family on which is a very bad show . We still enjoy watching in the middle don’t take that off. We are people that watch tv. So don’t put stupid stuff on .

Bob Hansen November 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Not surprised, but Cougartown should have gone fist Cox is annoying!

CE Altman November 24, 2009 at 10:54 am

I loved the show! Jim is right the show was just too clean and intellectual for many of today’s younger viewers and older.

Craig November 24, 2009 at 6:51 am

You all are absolutely Crazy! Hank was one of the funniest sitcoms on TV this year(that and Community). The writing was witty, the delivery was point perfect. I am sick and tired of these tv ex(fucking idiots) killing that mans shows. If any of you thought this show wasn’t great than you’re one of those who watched maybe 15 min of ONE episode and then judged(like an idiot). I can tell someone you are complete nerds and wouldn’t know comedy if it f’d u in the ass.

Taking Hank down was a horrible move!

aimeebny November 23, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I like Kelsey Grammar, but this show wasn’t funny. It was actually boring. I am not surprised it was cancelled. His best show was Frazer which had a great cast including Eddie the Jack Russell Terrier.