Hannibal: Season Three for NBC TV Show

HannibalSoup’s on! NBC has decided to renew their low-rated Friday night series Hannibal for a third season.

Based on the Red Dragon novel by Thomas Harris, Hannibal revolves around the early relationship between FBI investigator Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen), a forensic psychiatrist who becomes an infamous cannibalistic serial killer. Others in the cast of this thriller series include Caroline Dhavernas, Hettienne Park, Laurence Fishburne, Scott Thompson, and Aaron Abrams.

The series had poor ratings last season but the network brought it back for a second year anyway. The ratings have dropped even lower this time around (by 23% in the demo), making it the network’s lowest-rated scripted series. Still, it’s been renewed.

Word is that the show was likely renewed because of the unique deal that NBC has with the show’s studio. Under the deal, episodes of hannibal cost just $500,000 apiece, far lower than other network dramas.

What do you think? Are you a fan of this series? Are you glad it’s been renewed or should it have been cancelled instead?

Canceled and renewed TV show

69 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Gia says

I am so glad they renewed Hannibal. I seldom bother with “old world network” TV – I haven’t seen anything even remotely interesting that would tempt me. Badly written shows with a gazillion commercials? I can do better with HBO or Showtime. That is, until Hannibal. It’s wired tight and well written – so well written that if you let your attention wander for even 30 seconds, you may need to back it up for fear of missing a crucial point in the plot. This, sadly, may be why it has gotten low ratings – it is not formulaic and you have to pay attention if you want to catch any of the many nuances this show has to offer. Of course, nothing this good can last forever, but I’m glad there is at least a third season.

2. says

I am so very glad this show has been renewed because it’s one of my favorites, It’s so unique — and the interplay between Hannibal and Will is awesome. It’s gory at times, but it’s so much a part of who and what Hannibal is all about. I love the lighting, and the music and the visions you see. I never imagined anyone but Anthony Hopkins could play Hannibal, but Mads Mikkelsen is AWESOME!!!! Like another reviewer wrote, the movie Hannibal movie was awful, even though the book was great. NBC is making up for that with this show. So thrilled about the renewal, cuz I was really worried it wouldn’t be.

3. says

One of the best shows on TV. Despite the reason why it was renewed over other shows that frankly performed better, I am excited that this wonderful show survives yet another season! It truly deserves to in my humble opinion.

4. John Peace says

Personally I think it’s the best thing on TV currently. It’s so stylized, with the dark atmospheres, washed out coloring, and that creepy music that runs through nearly every scene (except when Hannibal’s preparing his gourmet meals; then it’s classical music) is just the most unsettling stuff I’ve heard in a long time. It reminds me of a mix of Planet of the Apes (the 1968 film OST), Blade Runner and The Shining (tell me that drone during the opening credits isn’t totally stolen from The Shining). I’m dying to find out how the novels are done in this. The style of the show, always from the FBI. Will Graham or Hannibal’s point of views really doesn’t leave a lot of room to delve into Dollarhyde’s character like Red Dragon does (since the camera is always part of the investigative point of view I can’t see them looking at how he interacts with those he works with, or when he dates the blind girl), but I’m open to seeing how they do it. One thing frustrates me, though. How they plan to do the novels without Chilton or Freddie Lounds, and I believe Lifetime owns the rights to Clarice Starling, so they can’t use her either.

5. Lisa says

Great show but a Friday timeslot will kill it. Great series for intellectuals. Advertise ore or switch nights. I’ve been watching on xfinity. Please finish all seasons

• Gia says

Agreed! I just happened to stumble across it this season. I’m glad I did, or I would have missed something worth the watching.

6. Sheila says

I LOVE the show! Was so disappointed with the movie Hannibal, I read the book & movie was awful !! I love Clarice & Hannibal but the movie ruined it! So I’m so glad about this show!

7. Princess says

Love this show. So creatively gorey. I’ve never seen such imaginative killings. A little slow at times but I am hooked

8. Christopher says

I was astonished to see it renewed, because quite frankly I find the show tedious and overly imaginative. How many more seasons will it be before NBC replaces it with (hopefully) something worth watching?

• says

In response to a comment made about Hannibal earlier today, if you think the show is unimaginative, then stop watching it!!! Get a grip, if you don’t like a show, then don’t watch it!! I think the show is awesome.

• Van says

Wow…overly-imaginative? Now THAT is a unique criticism, Christopher! I suppose you prefer G of T for its staggering reality and grit? You are clearly an idiot, and quality television is wasted on you, you dolt!

9. bart says

Winner I love the show, except the weird music in the last few episodes has got a bit annoying.

10. Apryl says

S000000000000000 glad its being renewed. Its a great show. Love this seasons relationships between Will & Hanniabal and Alana and Hannibal. The creator has a fabulous mind. Yipeee its coming back

11. Jennifer Perrier says

So happy to hear its being renewed! I love it!! Don’t understand why the ratings are so low? Such magnificent acting and writing! Love everything about it!!! A little confused as to why the killed off Chilton but other than that?…Superb!!!!

• Rose says

Jennifer, the reason the ratings are so low is because the show is ridiculous and no one is watching it. Plain and simple.

• Jeff says

no its because people like you can’t stand to watch it because you can’t stomach the murder/crime scenes

• Margaret Romeyn says

Great show, keeps you thinking! Is Will still working with the FBI or has he really joined Hannibal? I love it and it should be advertised much more! Was that flamin_g corpse really Freddie? I just love it, no matter what night, I’m hooked!_