Happily Divorced: Not Renewed for Season Three, But…

no season 3 for Happily Divorced A few days ago, we reported that TV Land had renewed Happily Divorced for a third season of 12 episodes. The news was first announced by co-creators (and former spouses) Fran Drescher and Peter Marc Jacobson. It now appears that the news has changed.

TV Land has issued a press release indicating that the the 12 episode order is part of the current second season, bringing the installment total to 24. Of the cable channel’s slate of original sitcoms, only Hot in Cleveland and Happily Divorced have received full season orders.

The first dozen episodes of season two are currently airing on Wednesday nights and are expected to finish running by the end of May. So far, they’ve averaged a 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.16 million total viewers.

The second half of season two is expected to air later this year.

Here’s the press release from TV Land:

TV Land Picks Up 12 More Episodes for Second Season of “Happily Divorced” Starring Fran Drescher

New York, NY – May 1, 2012 – TV Land has extended the second season of its original sitcom, “Happily Divorced,” starring Fran Drescher, picking up 12 additional episodes, it was officially announced today by Larry W. Jones, president, TV Land. This episode order takes the second season total to 24. The back-order of season two will debut later this year. The first 12 episodes of the second season are currently in premieres airing Wednesdays at 10:30pm ET/PT on TV Land.

“We are thrilled to continue our relationship with Fran and the rest of the amazing cast and crew on ‘Happily Divorced’,” said Jones. “This show uses humor brilliantly to communicate and relate with the audience. We feel so fortunate to have a show that can create social change through laughter.”

“Happily Divorced” stars and is inspired by the real-life story of sitcom favorite Fran Drescher (“The Nanny”), and revolves around Fran, a Los Angeles florist who finds out after 18-years of marriage that her husband is gay. Unable to sell the house with the economy tanking, she and her gay ex-husband Peter (John Michael Higgins, “Best in Show”) must continue to live together happily divorced as they both re-enter the dating world. “Happily Divorced” also features acclaimed actors Tichina Arnold (“Everybody Hates Chris”) as her best friend Judi; Rita Moreno (“OZ”) and Robert Walden (“All The President’s Men”) as Fran’s parents Glen and Dori and Valente Rodriguez (“George Lopez”) as Cesar, her flower shop employee. The show is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Fran Drescher, Peter Marc Jacobson (“The Nanny”), Frank Lombardi and Franco E. Bario are executive producers, and Larry W. Jones and Keith Cox serve as executive producers for TV Land.

About TV Land

TV Land is the programming destination featuring the best in entertainment on all platforms for consumers in their 40s and 50s. Consisting of original programming, classic and contemporary television series acquisitions, hit movies and a full-service Web site, TV Land is now seen in over 98 million U.S. homes.

About Viacom

Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB) is home to the world’s premier entertainment brands that connect with audiences through compelling content across television, motion picture, online and mobile platforms in more than 160 countries and territories. With approximately 170 media networks reaching more than 600 million global subscribers, Viacom’s leading brands include MTV, VH1, CMT, Logo, BET, CENTRIC, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., TeenNick, Nicktoons, Nick at Nite, COMEDY CENTRAL, TV Land, Spike TV and Tr3s. Paramount Pictures, America’s oldest film studio and creator of many of the most beloved motion pictures, continues today as a major global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. Viacom operates a large portfolio of branded digital media experiences, including many of the world’s most popular properties for entertainment, community and casual online gaming.

For more information about Viacom and its businesses, visit www.viacom.com

What do you think? Do you think Happily Divorced will be renewed for a third season eventually?

Canceled and renewed TV show

139 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kris says

I am a huge fan of Happily Divorced, and I think that the show is really developing an
    audience. What a great season 2 so far with wonderful guest stars and hilarious humor.
    Please renew for season 3. Fran Dresher is fabulous and unique.

2. Cher says

Love Fran in her new show. I would not miss an episode. I watch Betty White and her crew. I look forward to these shows. I have had two back surgeries and survived stage four cancer. I have been in bed for 14 months and TV is my life. Thanks so much.

3. Cher Adams says

Love the show. It is not just all about sex, sex, and more sex. It is funny and the show is
    So full of talented humans with an adorable dog. Please save this sit-com. Love the show with Betty White too.

4. anna allen says

please cancel this show – it is predictable and often vulgar – too often Fran repeats how her husband told her he’s gay and then some graphic vulgarity ensues – seems like every show I have had the misfortune to watch ( my roomie watches it) she is telling someone how she found out he was gay. It is not funny!!

5. Denise says

I never knew about this show until accidentally coming across it on Netflix and now it’s my favorite! I Googled to see when it airs on Tvland and 10:30 is so late, although I try and stay up I end up dozing too soon. I’m going through a divorce now that’s quite stressful at times and this helps get my mind off it and i havent laughed this hard in awhile. I love this show! please don’t cancel and I know ratings would improve with earlier time and advertise again. Thanks!

6. chris says

i loved the nanny. im still watching the reruns. i hope happily divorced gets renewed. its one of the funniest shows on tv.

7. says

i loved the nanny. i love happily divorced. i hope it gets renewed for a 3th season. its one of the funniest shows on tv.please bring it back.

8. Maria N says

I hope there will be 3rd season and beyond. The show is funny and refreshing and the entire cast have a great chemistry. Please keep the laughter.

9. Janie says

Bring Happily Divorced back! In a world filled with dumb shows it’s nice to watch something that is NOT filled with bad language or plain filth. Love Fran she is wonderful!!!!

10. Miki says

Please, please bring back this show. It is extremly hysterical. It’s nice to watch a commedy show instead of all the reality shows out there.

• Melissa says

Please don’t cancel another good show. I love Fran Drescher and the talented cast. Her mother, Rita Moreno, Ceasar, her ex is adorable. I am in the 50 age bracket and record Happily Divorced to re-play. I still watch The Nanny and record them too. The Tv is turning to Reality shows and I cannot stand them.

11. Sondra Staggs says

Please renew Divorced for a third season. I am really looking forward to watching the rest of season two this fall. Please don’t cancel this show. I have never missed an episode.
    Please, please, please renew for a third season!

12. Sharon Newberry says

I’m devastated over it. Please reconsider and renew for a third season. I was so excited to see Fran come back with the new show Happily Divorced. It’s super funny and all the characters are just great. I would feel cheated if the show were to really be cut. I’m so into it and I’m sure people everywhere feel the same Please keep it!!!!

13. Sonja Campbell says

I just heard the show will not be renewed for Season 3. I’m so disappointed. I look forward to the second half of Season 2 this fall.

• Kimberly Stevens says

Please don’t cancell happily divorced I love that show I watch it religiously every week I can’t wait to see the rest of season two this fall.

• Tatiana Berg says

I still don’t understand why this show was so late at night, I am a housewife and at 11 I can’t get my eyes open, I use to watch it on demand, please bring it back but earlier and then I am sure it will get higher ratings