Happy Endings

Happy EndingsNetwork: ABC
Episodes: 57 (half-hour)
Seasons: Three

TV show dates: April 13, 2011 — May 3, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Zachary Knighton, Elisha Cuthbert, Eliza Coupe, Damon Wayans Jr., Adam Pally, and Casey Wilson.

TV show description:
This sitcom revolves around six young friends who live in Chicago. Their group is put in jeopardy when the couple that brought them together, Alex and Dave, break up. Luckily, the former couple are able to (awkwardly) stay friends.

It looked like everything was going to be happily ever after for Dave Rose (Zachary Knighton) and Alex Moore (Elisha Cuthbert). They were the perfect couple and then, at the alter, Alex realized that she couldn’t follow through with the ceremony and left Dave standing alone, stunned.

Dave is still trying to figure out his life after his break up with Alex and occasionally needles her about it. After they split up, he moved in with one of his best friends, Max, and later quit his office job to run his own steak sandwich food truck. Alex still has some guilt about jilting Dave and runs her own downtown clothing boutique called Xela (that’s Alex spelled backwards).

Jane Williams (Eliza Coupe) is Alex’s control-freak older sister. She’s married to Brad, is more than a little competitive, and likes to be in charge. Brad Williams (Damon Wayans, Jr.) works for an investment firm and usually ends up doing what his wife wants, though he’s not always crazy about it. Dave introduced the couple to each other while they were still in college.

Max Blum (Adam Pally) has been best friends with Dave and Brad since college. He’s openly gay but it took him a long time to come out to his parents. He’s sarcastic, lazy, and, when not officiating at nondenominational weddings, often unemployed. He technically wasn’t licensed when he married Brad and Jane.

Penny Hartz (Casey Wilson) briefly dated Max in college, before she realized that he was gay. Since then, he’s been her “gay BFF.” Full of energy, she’s often worried that she’ll never find the right guy. Penny works at a public relations firm and prides herself on being nice and the best dressed person in the office.

Series Finale:
Episode #57 — Brothas & Sisters
Jane is tasked with planning the perfect wedding for her older sister, Brooke (guest Stephanie March). Her African American fiance, Elliott (guest James Lesure), is having a great time with the Kerkovichs while Brad feels like he’s the Jackie Robinson of the family, like he paved the way for Elliott.

Dave and Alex get locked in their own bathroom (again) and have a big talk about relationships. They realize that they never really allowed themselves enough time to have other relationships after their first breakup. So essentially, they were each other’s rebound from each other. They break up (again) and want to keep it a secret. They tell Max and Penny — who tell Alex’s gossipy family — and then everything gets out of hand.
First aired: May 3, 2013

What do you think? Do you like the Happy Endings TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for fourth season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

33 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. 4realz83 says

I may be in the minority, but I couldn’t get into this quirky show in either S1 or S2. I watched the 1st episode of S3 and I WAS HOOKED! Fell in love with the quirky characters and the show. Then I went back and bought S1 & 2 on DVD and actually really like it. Well, I guess that’s how it goes.

2. Allison says

Save this show!!! It is SO FUNNY! It is the only sitcom that actually makes me laugh outloud. Give it another chance…PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Chris says

Agree! It would have made much more sense to air the show for at least another season even if it was only half the amount of episodes, at least it could have finished with Dave and Alex finally tying the knot, and justifying the name ‘happy endings’. Some decisions in TV land really baffle me. Happy Endings was gaining a cult following and was very clever, great characters and every episode was entertaining with some classic one liners. That gets cancelled but dozens of boring pedestrian humor shows with predictable tags stay on tv? I just don’t get it.

3. erin says

this was and is my favourite show. I laughed so hard I would cry sometimes. I am very sad it was cancelled. I really think the ratings dropped because we could never find when it was on! look at the following on facebook-very loyal fans! :)

4. Anonymous says

I love this show. The reason the rating dropped this year was because it was hard to find when it was on!!! That was the networks fault. I set the PVR to catch every episode. I hope another network picks it up.

• chris says

I hope your wish comes true Mae Lin. Perhaps NBC will give it a chance. If I remember correctly Seinfeld had pretty poor ratings to start until it was nurtured along…..

5. Nadine says

I LOVE THIS SHOW — I wish I knew what to tell ABC so that they will give this show a chance…so many people I know also love it. SAVE THIS SHOW !! It is my favority comedy

6. Jason says

This is my absolute FAVORITE show!! Do not cancel it ABC!! Stick it in a time slot and leave it there for more than a month!!!

7. Angela says

I absolutely love this show!! This show is the only one I look forward to watching every week. The amazing and quirky cast is fresh and a nice change from all of the “reality” television out there. I hope they are renewed for many seasons to come!

8. Matt says

I love Happy Endings. Its not for people who don’t have a sense of humor and who take themselves and their shows too seriously. Get the sticks out of your a**es and lighten up. Happy Endings fun TV, and I really hope it is renewed for a 4th season.

9. Jim says

Happy Endings lives up to its name. I’m always happy to see it Ending. Its one of the worst shows on TV. Corny, dumb and idiotic forced unfunny lines is all it offers. Please kill this show, it stinks pure and simple!

10. Bethany says

I LOVE this show, but never see how it is doing like I do with so many shows I could care less about. I hope this show is able to stay on the air for years and years to come.