Happy Town: TV Show Pulled by ABC, Is It Cancelled?

Happy TownAfter just two weeks on the air, ABC has decided to pull Happy Town from the schedule. The TV show will be back but, for how long?

Happy Town follows the residents of a small town in Minnesota. After being plagued by kidnappings years ago, it seems the mysterious “Magic Man” has returned to start a killing spree. The cast includes features Sam Neill, M.C. Gainey, Geoff Stults, Lauren German, Amy Acker, Steven Weber, Ben Schnetzer, Sarah Gadon, Jay Paulson, and Robert Wisdom.

The series got off to a poor start two weeks ago with a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.25 million viewers. Last week, for episode two, viewership took a nosedive to a 1.2 in the demo and 3.79 million viewers.

To no surprise, ABC has pulled Happy Town for the remainder of May sweeps. After tonight’s episode, the series goes on hiatus for two weeks and will return on June 2nd.

While this wouldn’t necessarily be a sign that the show will be cancelled, the ratings are. They’re terrible and there’s every expectation that they’re just going to get worse — especially with warmer weather coming and people spending less time in front of the TV.

TV show supportAfter tonight’s episode, there are just five episode left. With numbers like these, fans of Happy Town will be lucky if the network shows the rest of them, never mind a second season.

Next week’s episode will be replaced by an edition of Primetime: What Would You Do?. On May 26th, ABC will present the network premiere of the Transformers movie.

What do you think? Why isn’t Happy Town performing better? Is it just not a very good TV show or are viewers just missing the boat?

Canceled and renewed TV show

494 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. lawrence says

I am over reality tv too this show was diferent.Not without a few hokey parts.In general it kept you wondering what was next.If thease Idiots at the Network cant tell that a show is bad before sighning they shoul be fired.I am tired of investing time to watch a show only to see it cancled.

2. STACIE says

I’M PISSED!!! thought show was interesting & entertaining- they need to at least let us know what happens…..

3. Teresa says

Happy Town was really getting good. I have always liked mystery and this show defienately had it going on. I hope they will give it another shot. I also agree that reality TV is really getting old. Come on ABC, don’t disapoint those that really liked Happy Town.

4. Jenn says

This is purely a network issue. If this show were to appear on TNT or USA for instance, I’m sure the ratings would be much more palatable. The only reason I would turn to ABC was for this program, specifically. Change the network and save the show.

5. Selena says

Really want this show back….I agree with everyone else, I am SO sick of reality TV. This is an original-great show. BRING IT BACK!

6. Ausra says

It’s very good show why they decided to cancel it???
    Because of the summer ratings are poorer not because series are bad.

7. says

This was an awesome show….why do networks feel that reality TV is the in thing…not for me I would stay up late to watch this one. Bring it back.

8. Nichole says

It never fails the networks always cancel the good shows. I am so sick of seeing reality tv. Happy Town was just getting good. I really liked it. I cant believe the network will keep LOST on but cancel Happy Town. Idiots