Happy Town: Who Is the “Magic Man?” Viewers Will Still Get Answers!

Happy TownWhen ABC put Happy Town on hiatus in May, many assumed that it had been cancelled and wouldn’t be returning. The ratings were pretty terrible and ABC has since canceled the mystery series. However, the network had always planned to bring it back after a three week break. Now that it’s back, will we get some answers or be left hanging?

Happy Town follows the residents of a small town in Minnesota who are terrorized by a killing spree from the mysterious “Magic Man.” The cast includes Sam Neill, M.C. Gainey, Geoff Stults, Lauren German, Amy Acker, Steven Weber, Ben Schnetzer, Sarah Gadon, Jay Paulson, and Robert Wisdom.

Because viewers have been burned so many times over the years (FlashForward anyone?), people are understandably very reluctant to get hooked on a new series that has lots of ongoing mysteries. Happy Town won’t be back for season two but loyal viewers thankfully won’t be left totally in the dark.

The cast and creators addressed viewer concerns in several early interviews and said that there will be some closure by the end of the season. The identity of the mysterious “Magic Man” will be revealed to the audience in episode eight but that doesn’t mean that Tommy Conroy (Stults) and some of the other characters will necessarily find out.

Executive producer Josh Appelbaum told IF that many people on set really got into the mystery. He said, “The crew had this betting pool as to who the “Magic Man” was. The first two episodes are what they are, but the third and fourth episodes, they started getting obsessed with it. The great thing was, of the hundred and fifty crew members, three people got it right, which was perfect…. So it’s an answer that’s there if you’re thinking about it and you’re playing along smartly, but I think it’ll blow most people’s minds.”

Stults echoed those feelings and said, “I’ve never been on a show before where people, even crew members, gave a s***. Every week, more of the crew people were asking for scripts so they could read them. I’m telling you, between every take, people were gathered around the monitor constantly talking about, ‘Well I have this idea’ and ‘I have that idea.’ It took on a life of its own, so much so that there was an office pool going to see who could figure out who the “Magic Man” was.”

TV show supportHe continued, “Everybody had to sign a confidentiality thing and there was this whole idea that we going to not tell the crew and just shoot with a skeleton crew and not let anybody know, but the crew got so up in arms, because they really got invested and they really felt like they were a part of this and they wanted to know as well. They were pissed that they weren’t going to get told. So we decided, Josh and Scott and Andre and I, we decided, ‘We’ve gotta tell these guys. They’re a part of it.’ They wanted to know, so we had a whole presentation and it was great. There were actually a few people who had guessed it and I was really surprised.”

Stults told TV Guide, “[The audience] will be surprised. And, not only that but, once the audience finds out, they’ll be like ‘Ohh, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that’ or ‘Oh, I can’t believe I didn’t see that.’ Because there are clues. And the same thing happened to me, once I found out, I was like, ‘You idiot! How could you not see that? I was there everyday, right in front of me!’ so it was pretty earth-shattering in that way.”

Had the series been renewed for a second season, Stults has said that the “Magic Man” reveal would have really shaken things up and Happy Town would have gone in a new direction.

What do you think? Will you still watch even though the show’s been cancelled? Any guesses on the identity of the “Magic Man?”

pvt cadena July 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm

what I gathered was mrs. haplin was best friends with alice (who is the magic man) ok so mrs. haplin thinks she killed alice with the hammer and doesn’t know she still lives (probably cause she found out she’s the one that kidnapped her grand daughter) .. the sheriff covered it all up to protect his son from knowing the truth about his mother but even he didn’t have the whole story on what exactly happened to the victim but the answer to the question as to why did she take them in the first place . I’m guessing the reason why she kidnapped those people was to protect them from the dark secret the haplins have (what ever it is its related to the blue door movie which disgusted the the haplin grandson)
and the show is great in my opinion it had a slow start but that was only to build the anxiety we all felt by continuing to watch unfortunately in our society today we demand instant gratification and couldn’t see that the show itself was a sleight of hand purposely making you focus on one thing while hinting at the real truth that lies in its other hand.

Gwen July 13, 2010 at 9:37 am

who is alice??? is it sheriffs wife (the old man sherrif)
I am in canada can someone tell me

'BB Rabozza July 13, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Alice is Griff’s wife, Tommy’s Mom. She’s not dead and in the grave after all; she’s tending bar at Cisero’s, where Griff goes to ask her if all the victims are alive at the end of ep. 8. It’s not clear to me that she is the MM. She might be the keeper of the victims, and Griff and she know the MM and keep his/her secrets. Too many unanswered questions! SYFY, please pick up this show!

Barbara July 12, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Well I finally saw the ending. I watched it on abc.go.com and the episodes were out of order so I saw the ending then the episode leading to it. We needed another episode or 2 to explain who Alice really was – why she did it, if she really did – are the victims still alive?

Is the sheriff’s Mother really dead???? Is she his Mother plus why the ? mark on the girl’s back. I keep thinking of more unanswered questions so I don’t think I’ll buy this show after all. In all I did enjoy the show and wish they had completed it instead of leaving us confused.

'BB Rabozza July 12, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I agree… who’s Cloe? Is Alice the Magic Man or is she just the keeper of the victims, and Griff the keeper of secrets? Too many questions are unanswered!

Penknight July 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I finished the episodes, and feel unfulfilled. The show doesn’t seem as good to me now for some reason, and I can see why now as I look back why the show was cancelled. The writing needed a lot of work, and I couldn’t stand Tommy’s little girl. I’m glad they stopped having her say as much on the show, really. I for one am glad the show won’t be back on the air.

mrn81 July 8, 2010 at 3:28 pm

well that sucks just as u start to like a show they cancelled it like October road,lipstick jungel!!!! Why, there are sooo many stupid shows they could cancelle!!!!

crdmkr2004 July 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Hi there
No it will not be shown on TV but if you live in the U.S. then you can watch the final 2 episodes online. Just open a new window, clear your browser, then copy and paste the link below into your browser and watch it. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and I didn’t get to watch it on Hulu as it is only available in the U.S. I would love to be able to see the finale.

tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/happy-town-episodes-online-16145

Barbara July 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I’m very disappointed. From the replies above it seems that HAPPY TOWN is completed and I have not found any listings on the TV schedules for so I never saw the last episodes. I really liked this show.

Anonymous July 9, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Check out hulu. Online. They have last 2 ep. Ep 7 and 8

ethel July 3, 2010 at 12:34 am

It’s not Mrs Haplin. The magic man is Alice. Why didn’t I think about that. Shockers!!!

'BB Rabozza July 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I just watched the final two episode son HULU. I am very disappointed knowing who the Magic Man turned out to be. No one would ever guess. I sure never suspected this person. I was a bit stunned, actually.

jessica July 2, 2010 at 11:02 am

just bring back the show i think the magic man was a woman. Mrs HAplin

Jeremy July 1, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Well who the hell was the Magic Man? Me and my wife loved that show!!!

Solange May 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Me too, it was great!! ABC always take the good shows off the air if the ratings are down. Air the show at a differnet time. This discourages me from watching ABC’s new shows for fear of them being cancelled too soon. The Gates, October Road (loved it) and so on…

mothergoose July 1, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Sent my comment to SyFy – let’s hope it does some good.

'BB Rabozza July 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Hey everyone! Let’s all write to SyFy and ask them to pick this show up… email them at
feedback@syfy.com!!

Rhonda July 1, 2010 at 2:01 pm

We were wrapped up in the mystery of Happy Town and want it to return to see who the Magic Man is. Takes the doldrums out of summer t.v. watching.

E Boyette June 30, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Didn’t see the last one, who is the Magic Man, bring it back!!!!!!!