Harry’s Law: New NBC Legal Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

Harry's LawLast week, NBC unveiled their newest legal drama series, Harry’s Law. Interestingly, this isn’t a new Law & Order spin-off but rather the brainchild of David E. Kelley who created shows like ABC’s Boston Legal. He also worked on NBC’s popular LA Law many years ago. Will this legal series last as long as those or be quickly cancelled instead?

Harry’s Law revolves around Harriet “Harry” Korn (Kathy Bates), a curmudgeonly ex-patent lawyer. She’s abruptly fired from her blue chip law firm, forcing her to search for a fresh start. Harry finds it when she meets Malcolm Davies (Aml Ameen), a college student who desperately needs her help and ends up working for her. A young legal hotshot named Adam Branch (Nate Corddry) accidentally hits her and gives up his corporate job to join the team. With the help of Harry’s shoe-obsessed assistant, Jenna (Brittany Snow), they open for business as Harriet’s Law and Fine Shoes.

The TV series debuted last Monday and it attracted an okay 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 11.07 million viewers. It ranked in second place for the timeslot though probably would have been third if Castle had not been a repeat. Though that’s not a great debut, it’s a 47% improvement over Chase’s last original episode in the same timeslot. That’s very positive for NBC.

What do you think of Harry's Law?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Last night’s episode of Harry’s Law drew a 2.1 in the demo and 10.43 million viewers. That’s a loss of about 5% in the demo from the premiere but still positive since most shows lose between 10 and 15% of their viewership in week two. Most people who watched last week obviously liked it and returned and perhaps even told a friend or two.

After just two airings, Harry’s Law ranks in sixth place on the list of NBC’s most-watched scripted programs, just below 30 Rock. That’s very positive, especially considering NBC’s string of bad luck in the Mondays at 10pm timeslot. If the series can sustain or even build on these early numbers, it looks certain that NBC will renew it for season two.

But, what do you think? Do you like Harry’s Law? Do you think NBC should keep it going or just cancel it? What do you like or dislike about the new series?

Canceled and renewed TV show

488 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

Harry’s Law started out bad but kept getting better. My husband and I are both hooked on the show and love it. This show is different. It’s funny, sad and sometimes exciting so don’t cancel the show.

2. Shirley Glogowski says

Harry’s Law was such a good show, please don’t cancel it. Kathy Bates is such a terrific
    actress. It’s a shame that its all about business and not about good shows, good writing or good acting. Its about the new breed handling ratings. Instead we have The Bacherolettes UGH a really intelligent show with terrific writing.

3. XX says

It is not intelligent or anything worth watching. Should be cancelled immediately and replaced with the Doppler radar of weather.

4. C. King says

Why is it that when ever there’s a show on TV that challenges you to think or plays devil’s advocate it gets canceled? Harry’s Law, while not only well written and with well developed characters, made you think about current issues, current laws, your own view point on a particular situation or political issue and then presented and equally thought out opposite perspective. It made you think after the show was over. Is there another show on TV that made you discuss current issues at the dinner table like Harry’s Law did? Every episode was written well and with ethos, and passion and challenged you to think in a new way or at least logically present an opposing view point.

Can we at least have one show out there that isn’t for the brain dead? Or a mind numbing reality show? Leave something out there for us with more intelligent view point. Whom ever thought this was an old people show just because of Bates is sorely mistaken. I’m a 36 year old female University Librarian.

5. says

I love Harry’s Law. One of the only things I look forward to each week. I love Cathy Bates and the whole staff. What a wonderful show. What’s the matter with you, NBC? Trying to fail when you cancel a winning show??? I think your top exec’s need to see a shrink. This is an excellent show and you choose to cancel this and leave crap on. You seem to have a death wish for your network. Wake up and keep this show on the air – you air heads.

6. Bill Moebuis says

Please don’t cancel Harry’s Law. Its the best show on TV. It is unique in its presentation, with a variety of emotions. It will eventually catch on with the masses. It has great story lines and must have great writers.

7. Janis Wall says

Please!!! don’t cancel Harry’s Law. I love this show so much. I love Cathy Bates. I am a very big fan of hers. She is perfect in her role and I love law shows. Don’t cancel the show…please please.

This is the only way I can get to see
    Cathy on the screen. Why would a Network cancel a show like this and keep all those trashy reality shows on the air??? They make me sick!!! I want entertainment with a stellar star like Cathy. If you cancel then there is no hope for Television. Cathy has paid her dues. She is awesome. Don’t cancel!!!!!

• Larry says

Maybe if NBC promoted the show people would watch it. Not everyone wants to watch shows about vampires, nerds, or “reality shows”. Give this show a chance and put some promotion behind it. I did like the show better when it was in the shoe store in the crummy area of town. Bring back Damien Winslow!

8. Carol Donnelly says

I really miss Harry’s Law although I like the format when the show first aired compared to the new upscale format. I liked it better when she defended the underdog. Hope the show comes back.

9. Susan says

I love it please don’t cancel it would be a great lose and would be a sham I put right up ther with revenge and good wife . Make no mitack it’s a great show.

10. june says

love this show… please keep it going… I am a big fan of kathy bates…. perhaps it needs a better time slot….j

11. k8 says

I loved the first season of Harry’s Law and then everything changed. They added more Lawyers and more cussing. They should’ve left it as is. My personal opinion is that season 2 is not as good as season one, but I will continue to watch it because I think Kathy Bates is an outstanding actress, and that is the only reason. Unfortunately, my 17 year old daughter thinks there’s way too much cussing and lost interest in the show after season 1.

12. Sam says

I thoroughly enjoy the show, love Kathy Bates-I do wish they had stayed in their little office/shoe store, but I will keep watching.

13. the average tv viewer says

I agree with the last 2 comments. There has been some profanity on the show and not necessary. The plots are too much different. The characters are not like they were before. I will not watch it if it continues with these formats and the improper language used.