Harry’s Law: Stars and NBC Chair on Cancellation

No season two for Harry's Law, canceledThough Harry’s Law was the most-watched scripted TV show on NBC this season, the network cancelled it. As I’ve suggested in the past, advertisers favor shows that attract those in the 18-49 demographic. Though Harry’s Law had a lot of viewers, the legal series had some of the lowest demographic numbers on the network.

When asked why Kathy Bates and company had been let go, NBC chairman Bob Greenblatt said, “It was a difficult decision. Everyone here respects Harry’s Law a lot but we were finding it hard to grow the audience for it. Its audience skewed very old. It’s hard to monetize that.”

Bates broke the news of the show’s cancellation over the weekend. She wrote to fans, “Sad news today. Harry’s Law will not be renewed for a 3rd season. We are all terribly sad. Many thanks for all your support.”

Would you watch Harry's Law on cable?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The actress later noted, “Waiting for this verdict was tough. We wrapped a month ago so it was a very long wait!”

Bates reconciled, “Tough day getting used to the idea of no more Harry. Think I’ll keep her with me 4ever.”

When asked if there was a possibility that Harry’s Law might move to cable, Bates responded, “No hope.” But, responding to an inquiry last night on the subject, Bates wrote, “Not sure, but don’t think so.”

Justine Lupe, who played Phoebe Blake, wrote, “Sad day. Little bit of heartbreak. What a gift to had had this time.”

Actress Karen Olivo, who joined the cast in season two as Cassie Reynolds, responded with a message to her castmates, “It was an honor, my friends!”

Nathan Corddry, who’d been playing Adam Branch since the show began, noted, “I’d thank everyone individually, but the list is too long.Never was happier professionally. Thank you for a wondrful 2 years. #tough2swallow”

What do you think? Are you going to miss Harry’s Law as much as the cast will? If the show did move to another channel, would you follow it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

430 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Donna Smith says

Yes, I would follow this show where ever it would go! This has been one of my most favorite shows EVER!!! Why do they always cancel the good shows? The ones that are deep, the ones that make you cry, cheer, and laugh out loud???? Then the networks keep the stupid, dim witted shows, ones that show us just how true the movie Idiocracy truly is!!!

2. says

hey johnny im so proud of you man this Ray Lampkin . from ogoren we went to school together i saw the show yesterday on late night and was like man i know that guy . thats JOHHNY lol then i googled ur name and low and behold it really was you Man you a great actor . Keep up the good work . couple question J . was that a 1time premiere or are you on the show permanately???? Let me know so i can tune in and support you bruh . LOVE!!!

3. Gary says

It isn’t often that a class actor such as Ms. Bates can be caught on a network show and enjoyed each week. Sure there are movies, but how often do they come along? I can not stand all the reality crap that is predominant on the networks.

4. E. Pearce says

There’s a good reason I don’t watch the major networks–other than I can’t stand “reality” shows–and that’s because every time I actually find a show that I like, it’s yanked after a season or two. I’m disgusted, especially since Harry’s Law was a beloved show for SO many people. Madison Avenue says the watchers didn’t fit their demographic. Isn’t it nice to know that once you’re over 50, you simply don’t count any more?? Maybe they should stop offering ads that are aimed only at 20-somethings. Don’t they realize that we’re the ones with the most money??

5. Joan Pierce says

You demographic is wrong my friends and I watched and we were in the 40 to 47 age group so screw you nbc now the only show I watch on NBC is grimm

6. SJS says

I feel insulted that as a 63 year old woman my interests don’t count. My daughter is 40 and loves the show. She is within that NBC demographic. Anyway Harry’s Law was one of the most thought provoking dramas on tv. Every show made me feel uplifted and wanting more. The acting was superb. NBC where is your heart? I am sick of most of the garbage on tv that seems to be focused toward airheads.

7. Bill Rodgers says

My wife and I would follow Harry to another network. Perhaps to one that values our demographic – 55 to 61 – with respectable income and spending habits. We like shows that make us think and talk about issues. Also like shows that tug on our emotions every once in a while. Harry’s Law fit the bill for us. Shame on NBC. That is why broadcast networks are steadily losing ground to cable.

8. says

Absolutely, just who exactly is considered old???? I enjoyed Kathy Bates immensely. It had just about everything a great show needed to be great. Actual plot, not a skin flick, and definitely NOT a reality show! I personally think we have enough of those and I don’t watch them anyway. You need a thought process to follow the lawyer shows.

9. Helen says

Yes, I would definitely watch it if it (hopefully) moves to another network. It was one of the best shows on TV in a long time. Kept us on the edges of our seats each week. We really looked forward to the next program. Bummer! Love Kathy Bates (good luck with your health problems) and the rest of the cast.

10. Beth says

YES! We would watch it if moved to ANY other network. What a tragedy. We loved the great script writing, the ability to bring up germane topics in an interesting, empathetic, fact-filled and humorous hour. And each character was so strong. Each one unique, quirky, yet real.

Bring Harry’s Law back – anyone with the guts to remind yourselves that the Baby Boomers may be older than 49, but are the largest segment of our population. Someone, someday, should take a look at how many folks over 50 there are and realize that we appreciate intelligence, creativity and characters that touch us, teach us and make us think.

The BEST show in ages on any of the big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC). And nothing to take its place. Sad.

11. says

That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Harry’s Law cancelled because of demographics. NBC should grow a pair. I wish another network would pick it up, I would definitely follow.

12. valorie says

Yes I would watch if it moved to another network. that was a good show and canceling it because of the age of the viewers is ridiculous and maddening. BOO NBC.