Hawaii Five-0: New CBS Hit or Disappointment? Cancel or Keep It?

Hawaii Five-0After months of anticipation, CBS’ remake of the Hawaii Five-0 series has finally premiered. All of the networks have tried to resurrect old shows in the past and they’ve usually been cancelled within one season. How will this one fare and what do you think?

Hawaii Five-0 revolves around Detective Steve McGarrett (Alex O’Loughlin), a decorated Naval officer-turned-cop. He returns to Hawaii to investigate his father’s death and ends up heading a federalized task force to fight crime. Co-starring on the show are Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park, and Jean Smart.

The debut attracted a very healthy 3.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 14.2 million total viewers. That was enough to put it in first place in both categories and it beat the number two show (ABC’s Castle) by more than 40% in the key demo.

What do you think of the new Hawaii Five-0?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though this is certainly positive, one year earlier, the eighth season premiere of CSI: Miami did better — and that’s an established show that had already seen some attrition. Last year’s CSI: Miami brought in a 4.3 rating in the all-important demo and also 14.2 million total viewers.

So, the execs over at CBS are no doubt happy with this performance, though perhaps not overjoyed. They’ve pumped a lot of money and promotion into this new series and were hoping for a bigger debut. Of course, the real test will be to see if people come back week after week.

So, what do you think? Does the new Hawaii Five-0 have what it takes to survive or will it burn out? Did the violence bother you? Cancel or keep it?

Canceled and renewed TV show

60 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. charlene frydberg says

hi i say to keep on hawaii five 5-0 on it is a great show and give alex a break they took to shows from him qand if you take this from him that will hurt he is trying his best and he is a great actor let this show say we need it this is a great show keep it on thanks
    charlene
    frydberg

2. kelly says

Keep Hawaii Five-O. I love this show it is a cop show that i have not turn on most cop show i turn it, it just dont keep me watching them but this show it does. so keep it i would love that

3. SB says

@Jeremy Rynek:
    Sounds like you have some catching up to do. CBS has already canceled two of Alex O’Loughlin’s shows. Moonlight was the first, and Three Rivers was the second. I loved Moonlight and really wanted to see a second season of it. CBS really screwed up when they canceled that show. I even have Moonlight on DVD. I’m really enjoying seeing him in Hawaii Five-O, and I hope they keep this one.

4. says

I was a devotee of the 1968-1980 series, made even more meaningful being stationed at Fort Shafter from 1971-1974. This re-make? It’s good, wonderful cast, but unless and until your actors can better enunciate their dialog so we can understand it, this new re-make won’t last long. Remember the show “West Wing?” The dialog was scintilating, interesting, exciting, but not just because it was about our government, but because even though the actors spoke fast – you could understand every word and follow all the nuances of the dialog. Synergize that idea and you have a hit.
    I want this re-make to succeed!! Get the actors some diction lessons – ASAP!!! And help us poor viewers learn who the players are. I missed the very first show, so I don’t know who’s who. Do I understand correctly that the chief is Steve McGarrett, supposedly the son of the 1st MGarrett? He’s the only character name I have been able to identify.

A little more camera time on the scenery, surfing, etc, I think would help as well – after all this is Paradise and everyone wants to fantasize living there. Good luck!

5. Bill V. says

This is a great new show with a very good cast. Cencelling it would be a mistake. I will simply tune to another station if they cancel and not come back. This version of five-o is better than the old version.

6. Christy says

So glad the new Hawaii Five-O has started. I’m hooked… really enjoying it! Like the 5-0 team! They play well together. It’s a keeper for sure.

7. Cindy says

Hawaii Five-O is a really great show. It is rather violent. I wouldn’t want my grandkids to watch. Wasn’t Alex in a show called Three Rivers that was cancelled? I liked that show as well.

8. Sandra says

I have 2 say that this show s GREAT!!!!!!….love the chemistry and between O’Loughlin and Caan…I’m hooked but then as soon as that happens….. CBS cancels the show. I was sooo hooked on Moonlight and couldn’t wait for the love scene and GONE>>>>CANCELED……..what were you thinking????? Happen to see O’Loughlin back he is so easy on the eyes…..PLEASE MAKE THIS A KEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!! IF ANYTHING SHOULD BE CANCELED ON ALL NETWORKS IS THE REALITY SHOWS…WE ARE SICK OF THEM ALL

9. Angela says

I am just so delighted to see Alex O’Loughlin again on CBS, even if it isn’t in Moonlight.
    That calibre of actor on primetime TV is really a joy and privilege to watch – and yes, he
    IS gorgeous if I might add that!! (CBS, I don’t know what your problem was/is but you really blew it cancelling Moonlight – OMG – whose decision was THAT??). Let’s not make another mistake with Hawaii Five-O – it was a great pilot – and you and the fans need to give it a chance to develop the characters and a good, solid storyline. There’s just so much more potential than gunfire and car chases – give them a good villain, intelligent dialogue, human interest stories and maybe a love interest or two, or three…..let’s go writers …… give this fine young cast something to work with and show off their great talent !!! I wish the hardworking cast, crew, and writers the best of everything with this series. I loved the pilot ! ! !

10. Jeremy Rynek says

I say keep it. It was decent. Probably the best tv rmake I’ve seen honestly. I just hope CBS doesn’t cancel two dramas on him. I mean really. A double whammy from the same network won’t be good for him.

11. Muzikween says

Wow! They came out swinging!! Great show! I was a fan of the original show and loved Alex in Moonlight. So, Yeah!!! Good match!! Can’t wait to see the season unfold. This is a home-run!!