Hawaii Five-0: A Ratings Hit for CBS or Is the Show in Danger?

Hawaii Five-0After its debut, it looked like the new Hawaii Five-0 was one of those rare animals — a revival of a classic TV show that didn’t crash and burn immediately. Still, the series isn’t turning out to be as big a success as CBS might like you to believe. The series started off very strong in the ratings but has been losing steam every week.

Hawaii Five-0 debuted on September 20th to a 3.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic (the number that the networks care about) and 14.2 million total viewers. In week two, those numbers dropped 8% but that really isn’t bad for a new show. In week three, they dropped another 3%. This past Monday, they dropped a whopping 11%, hitting a low of a 3.1 rating and 10.7 million viewers.

The CBS series still places first in its timeslot, most closely challenged by Castle. That ABC series registered a 2.7 and 10.66 million viewers this week, up 4% from last week. If Hawaii 5-0′s downward trend continues, it won’t be long before the show loses in the timeslot and could end up in danger by the end of the season. For now, it’ll almost certainly get an order for nine more episodes bringing it to a full season. Beyond that, we’ll have to wait and see.

Interestingly, last year’s timeslot holder, CSI: Miami was doing much better at this point in the season. After four episodes, it was averaging a 4.1 in the demo and 13.72 million while Hawaii Five-0 is currently averaging a 3.5 rating and 12.47 million. Perhaps CBS should have left Miami in its old timeslot.

What do you think? Will Hawaii Five-0 end up surviving past this season? Was it a mistake for CBS to boot CSI: Miami out of its established timeslot?

Barb May 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I hope that this show will go onto next season.

L.S. Wagner May 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I love Hawaii 5-0, and will be SO UNHAPPY if they cancel it. EsPECIALLY after that cliff-hanger season finale that left EVERYTHING up in the air!

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL THIS SHOW. Give it every chance it can get – maybe better day, or time – whatever scheduling changes that can give it a break. It was up against some really stiff competition. Also, tho Chevy is a major sponsor, there needn’t be car chases several times (and foot chases) per episode – come on, writers, get a bit more imaginative – your actors can certainly handle it!

But I have thought the casting was perfect, and I’ve loved seeing the shots of Hawaii – probably the closest I’ll ever get to there. This is a great show. Would love to see more character development – Scott Caan’s character w/ his ex-wife & daughter are good : how about more on the personal life of McGarrett – surely he has one.

I drop everthing to watch this show. Please, please, please give it more of a chance before deciding whether to end it or now. There are lots of fans who are counting on you!

Willow May 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I love the new Hawaii 5-0. I sure hope CBS is smart enough to renewed it and not mess with the show.

sharp April 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hawaii Five-o Is One Of The Best Shows On T.V It’s On The Top Of My Family’s Favorite’s Next To CSI’NY NCIS And Criminal Minds!!! Please Dont Cancel It!

Helen April 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

CBS quit promoting H5O and took it off the air for the ENTIRE month of March. It was highly-publicized as TV’s #1 new drama & won the People’s Choice award. According to a friend of mine who works for CBS, the problem is that H5O has cost $40M in production. CBS has publicized this tidbit of information, so they will have a “reason” if they cancel the show. IF they do cxl, I won’t be watching their network any time soon – even for my 2nd favourite show NCIS.

Bunny Heymach April 12, 2011 at 7:34 am

I love Alex O’loughlin, but I think Hawaii 5 0 has lost something and find it very boring now after the first few episodes. I forget to watch it now. I think it’s headed for cancellation, even though I love Alex. Poor Alex, he already had CBS cancel two shows on him.

adrian lawson April 10, 2011 at 6:30 am

please continue Hawaii 50 , this is addictive and great stories each episode.

Thomas March 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I truely enjoy the new Hawaii Five O series in fact I like it even better than the original series with Jack Lord, I only watch two programs on TV, the news and Hawaii Five O, one comment was that ratings were going down recently, probably because the recent episodes have been reruns ! If CBS cancels Hawaii Five O I will never ever look at anything CBS will air again, I enjoy Hawaii Five O that much ! As a side comment I would really enjoy seeing the original cast from Magnum PI in a cameo role, Tom Selleck and John Hillerman on an episode of the new Hawaii Five O ! Watch the ratings go up !

OldFan March 26, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Love the show!! DVR it every week. just wish they kept it steady instead of pre-empting and showing re-runs… This show should NOT be canceled

Alexis Benson March 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm

The reason for lower ratings is that CBS has chosen to show re-runs for the past month instead of running new episodes…

CBS has found the perfect way to show their appreciation for TV’s #1 NEW show!!
LOL

Melva Richards March 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

As a 5o-something watcher myself, I LOVE the new Hawaii 5-0. I wasn’t so sure at first because I was an avid watcher of the original and immediately noticed that the characters themselves are so different in the new series (I’m not talking about the actors, but the character and the personality of the characters). My daughter and I have diligently watched every Monday night and actually get annoyed when it has been pre-empted for whatever reason (football? Pl-eeeease!). So I do hope that it comes back next year. I also like both Castle amd CSI Miami, but will watch those shows in re-runs. People, It’s HAWAII. The scenery is amazing by itself. Add O’loughlin and Caan and really…need I say more?

Barbara March 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I, too, was a watcher of the original “Hawaii Five O”, but I absolutely LOVE the new one. Please keep it on the air. And Monday night is a great night for it!

Tracy February 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I love this show and I look forward to seeing Hawaii and Alex O’Loughlin each week. Please don’t cancel this show. I live where it is cold and it is so refreshing to see Hawaii to warm my soul. This show is a winner!

Jeanette Bedak February 27, 2011 at 7:50 am

I love Alex O’Loughlin and Scott Caan in this series, this show is great. Hawaii five O is a great show and I can watch is over and over again. I look forward to it each week. It would be better is they did not play re-runs so often and keep the viewers is suspense for the new episodes. I will be very upset if it is canceled. VERY UPSET

Emarie February 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I LOVE Hawaii 5-0! if they cancel it… i will be upset. This is the best show, and me and my family love it! i could watch this show all day!

Morgan February 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm

i love love love the new hawaii 5-0 it is my favorite show if it were to be canceled i think i would cry… no joke i adore alex oloughlin and all the other actors