Hawaii Five-0: Ratings Keep Falling, Beaten by Castle

Hawaii Five-0A couple weeks ago, we reported that the ratings for the new Hawaii Five-0 were not as good as the network would like you to believe. It may have started off as the season’s most popular new show but that’s not no longer the case.

Hawaii Five-0 got off to a strong start with a 3.9 in the 18-49 demographic and 14.2 million total viewers. In week two, they dropped 8% (not bad) and in week three they fell another 3% (still not bad).

For the fourth episode, the ratings dropped an alarming 11% to a 3.1 rating and 10.7 million viewers. We heard from several readers that all shows were down that night. Not so. ABC’s Castle was actually up by 4%. Still, if Hawaii Five-0’s steep decline was indeed an anomaly than you’d expect the numbers to bounce back the following week.

They didn’t. The numbers fell another 6.5% to a 2.9 in the demo and 10.94 million viewers. This week, they fell yet again — for the fifth week in a row — to a 2.8 rating and 10.23 million viewers. It’s only a 3.5% drop but, for the first time, Hawaii Five-0 was beaten by Castle. The ABC show’s its biggest competitor in the timeslot while NBC’s Chase is always a distant third. This week, Castle brought in a 2.9 rating and 11.32 million.

Hawaii Five-0 is still not in immediate danger of being cancelled. As expected, the network recently gave it a full season and ordered nine more episodes. The lower the ratings fall however, the less likely it is to be renewed for a second season. One has to wonder when the ratings will finally stop falling or maybe even start going back up.

What do you think? How low will the ratings fall? Are you still watching?

jo1959 May 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm

STOP showing reruns of a new show! give the show a chance! I watched the original back when I was a teen and never thought you could replace it, well it didn’t replace the original, but is just as good with a different updated twist! stop showing the pat me on the back award shows and give shows like this a chance! Castle is another good and different show! I for one don’t care about the stuffed shirt crowed and the exec’s don’t watch tv anyway! So stop messing with ours! do away with big brother or stupid stuff like that!

Linda May 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

I just started to watch it. I am a fan of both the classic and of the new one. I think that we need more advertising for this show. I don’t think people are aware that it is on. Please
keep it on…Thanks

Myrtle April 23, 2011 at 6:10 am

PLEASE do not cancel Hawaii Five O I love it could be an earlier time slot

teri April 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I love the show as well. It has great cast and I think it should be renewed next season

leddy April 6, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love hawaii five-o. Hope it does not get cancelled. Moving it to another time slot would be a good idea. Keeping my fingers crossed.

SANDI March 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am a great fan of Alex O, have faithfully followed him to now his 3rd show on CBS. I do not watch Hawaii anymore. Reason: He almost appears to play a supporting role to Danno, hate the banter between them. AND, there is little respect between them. Not at all like the classy original. Very disappointed. BTW Castle is an excellent show. Hawaii needs revamping or I fear it’s gotta go!

Yvonne March 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I watch Hawaii Five-0 every week, love it. So i hope that they don’t cancel it.

Lonnie Slater March 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

We watch Castle and DVR Hawaii Five-O and would be highly disappointed if CBS took it of the air.

five-ofan March 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Hawaii Five-O is the best show on TV now and within the last 20 years. It is the only show I watch on prime time and I watch it every week – even the reruns!! Everything about this show is genius and no other show (especially Castle) comes close!!
It is ridiculous that any show would ever beat it!!!!!

Heather March 8, 2011 at 12:24 am

Great show! It’s a fun show thats a little more unique compared to other “crime dramas.” Love the casting! I hope the show does get renewed! The time slot does not effect me because I watch all my tv online but if changing the time helps, I’m all for it!

pam murphy March 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Awesome show!!! Great cast and the eye candy is nice too:) I look forward to it everyweek It’s the best thing about Mondays:) one of the few enjoyable shows on the major networks. cbs can get rid of Charlie sheen and give the five o cast a raise:)

ashley February 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

i agree about the time slot. it should have been after ncis los angeles.

teri January 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm

i hope they didn’t cancel hawaii five o …i love the cast…and i enjoy watching it every week i’ve watched it…even the reruns…

tbourne January 23, 2011 at 9:06 am

We watch it regularly every week, and like it
immensely, but the time slot is bad.
Change it to a new slot and it will go back to
#1.

ashley January 16, 2011 at 12:27 am

wondering if anyone else thinks there might be an outside reason for the ratings?