Hawaii Five-0: New Alex O’Loughlin Pilot Is Finished

Hawaii Five-0At the recent premiere of his romantic comedy, The Back-Up Plan, Alex O’Loughlin revealed that he’s finished filming the new Hawaii Five-0 pilot and it’s been delivered to CBS.

Based on the classic Jack Lord series, CBS has been trying to get a new Hawaii Five-0 off the ground for awhile. This latest attempt has gotten further than the others and will star O’Loughlin, Scott Caan, and Daniel Dae Kim. As guest stars in the pilot, Jean Smart plays the Governor of Hawaii and James Marsters plays a villain.

O’Loughlin says that fans of the original series will recognize some key elements of the original series, including the familiar catchphrase, “Book ‘em Danno.”

He said, “I’ve already said it, I’ve done it, it’s in the can… We’re keeping the theme tune and I’m going to grow the quiff out and keep it sitting there like a banana.”

A veteran of short-lived CBS series Three Rivers and Moonlight, O’Loughlin says the finished project’s been delivered to the network executives and they await their decision. He has a good feeling about the project.

If the new Hawaii Five-0 does become a series, O’Loughlin says he’ll have to work on his beach skills. “I’m a terrible surfer but I will learn to surf when we get over there,” he said.

What do you think? Are you excited to see the new Hawaii Five-0? If it doesn’t become a series, should CBS still release the pilot?

suzanne faith April 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

WHEN THE HECK ARE WE GOING TO HEAR WHEN HAWAII FIVE 0 WILL BE SHOWN TO HIS ANXIOUSLY AWAITING FANS????? THIS SHOW HAS GOTTA BE A REAL WINNER AND IF CBS DOESNT REALIZE THAT THEN THEY ARE AS STUPID (WHICH THEY ADMITTED) WHEN THEY SHUT DOWN MOONLIGHT AND THE NEXT YEAR ALL THOSE DORKY TEENAGERS TOOK OVER. PLEASE..GIVE US THE NEWS. ALEX’S FANS WILL BE HEARTBROKEN IF ITS NOT OKAYED..AND NOT JUST THE PILOT…THE WHOLE SHOW!!!! SUZANNE ALEX’S FOREVER FAN

winsomebulldog April 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I love Alex O’Loughlin and was a huge Moonlight fan. It just made no sense to me when CBS bailed on it. Of course, I’m always ticked when networks dump a show after an entire season, usually leaving us all hanging with some kind of cliff-hanger. I really like Alex. I’d never seen him (that I remember) until Moonlighting and I stuck with all the episodes of Three Rivers just for him. I hope the Hawaii Five-O remakes works, and I’ll watch it for Alex’s sake, but honestly, I’m kinda sick of all the remakes both on TV and in movies. Doesn’t anyone have any original ideas anymore?

Hillary Ann April 26, 2010 at 7:29 am

Just Great! Two ex-vampires on a new series where they have to be in the Hawaii sun all the time! How ironic is that?? Bring Moonlight back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

admin April 26, 2010 at 8:49 am

@Hillary Ann: Daniel Dae Kim was a “blood-sucker” on Angel for awhile (not a vamp, just a lawyer). lol

Carlos April 25, 2010 at 9:15 am

I will watch Alex new show, but if it turns out to be live the canceled CBS non hit 3 Rivers, I would hope Hawaii Five-O will get canceled. I just don’t see Alex playing this old character in this 1960’s show. I am getting tired of these remake shows from the 60’s, because most have been awful. There seem to be nothing on television but law enforcement shows or shows about Lawyers. There is more to or in our society than just police officers and Attorneys. I would have love to seen sexy goodlooking Alex in an western. CBS should have done a remake of the Virginian and had Alex cast as Trampas, the late Doug McClure’s character.

roger88 April 24, 2010 at 8:11 pm

i will watch it because of james marsters the man is great still cannot for the life of me understand why this man doesnt his own show

Adam Decker April 24, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I’m a bit curious as to when this might air. Hopefully they give it a good timeslot. It’s amazing that Moonlight did so well on Friday nights, but some shows do well in that timeslot.

Also, someone should talk to CBS about them making a Moonlight movie. It worked for Serenity from Firefly. A lot of people would watch it, even if they release it straight to DVD (I don’t think they would, but you never know), which would be dumb considering how well it could do in theatres. We don’t want to be left hanging on the storyline forever and it would put the fans to rest, hopefully.

Coyote April 23, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I’ll watch anything with James Marsters in it.

Margaret April 23, 2010 at 7:46 pm

I am very excited and can’t wait to see Hawaii Five-O. I sincerely hope CBS will air this show in September. I have been a big fan of Alex O’Loughlin ever since the first episode of Moonlight and still can’t believe they cancelled it. Likewise, I enjoyed watching Alex in Three Rivers and am still waiting to see the remaining episodes of Three Rivers. He is a very talented actor and more importantly is such a genuine, intelligent and considerate person.

Carlos April 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Although I admire Alex O’Loughlin, I don’t think the series Hawaii Five-O will be a hit. I am old enough to remember the old series, but today’s generation will not be interested in this series. Alex might be sexy, hot, and attractive, but this will get millions to watch. I would like to see a “Moonlight” movie on the big screen. I love Vampire movies and I enjoyed seeing Alex in “Moonlight”. It’s time to let it go people and move on. CBS will not be bringing back “Moonlight”.

amyvil April 23, 2010 at 8:21 am

I’m very excited to see Alex O’Loughlin in the new Hawaii Five-O. The newly imagined Steve McGarrett role plays to Alex’s strengths. It will require him to do a lot of action scenes which Alex loves to do plus there’ll be a lot of humor in the scenes he shares with Scott Caan, the new Danny Williams. When you add the awesome Daniel Dae Kim as Chin Ho Kelly, the beautiful Grace Park as Kono and the great Jean Smart as Pat Jameson, the Governor of Hawaii, you have a winning cast. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, who created Fringe and penned the script for the Star Trek movie, will executive produce. So will Paul Zbyszewski, one of Lost’s executive producers. Len Wiseman, who directed one of the Die Hard movies, directed the pilot episode. With all this going for it, I think the pilot is a shoo-in to make it on CBS’s fall schedule. Since the show falls into CBS’s wheelhouse of action procedurals, it should have no problem finding an audience among the CBS viewing public. I have really high hopes for it.

Kelly April 23, 2010 at 7:10 am

I think the remake sounds great, I will watch. I can’t see CBS releasing the pilot if its not picked up. I don’t think any network releases pilots that don’t become series.

suzanne faith April 23, 2010 at 5:14 am

If CBS doesn’t pick up the Hawaii Five 0 show I will be REALLY angry. They have screwed Alex over so many times with cancelling the Globe Winning Moonlight, to throwing the 3 Rivers show together with a lackluster cast (except for Alex) and I hope they have their act together with this one. He is a terrific actor, person and all around top of the crop actor who can do any type roll. Hopefully Back Up Plan will make it but I saw one horrible review this morning from a N.Y. newspaper and it was terribly unfair. Every movie does not have to be Gone with the Wind or Casablanca!!!! Give me a break…or rather Alex. Alex’s Forever Fan Suzanne

cjwills April 23, 2010 at 1:23 am

If the series is not picked up, I do not think the pilot will be released. They replaced almost the entire Moonlight cast after the pilot (except for Alex, of course) and never showed that. Since CBS is paying for the series and the salaries, they have the right to decide if the series is picked up or not–based on the pilot. They love Alex and seem determined to keep working with him in one show or another. Personally, I think Hawaii Five-O is perfect for him. Loved Moonlight, and while Three Rivers was mediocre, it was not Alex’s fault. He did his best with crappy scripts. He’s the best and I wish him well always…

MariaMoonlight April 22, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I’m excited to see the new Hawaii Five O. I’ll watch anything Alex O’Loughlin is in. As for CBS… They canceled the wonderfully exciting Moonlight and put Alex in the stinker series Three Rivers. I’d like to see the pilot to judge for myself because I certainly don’t trust CBS.

steve Barns April 22, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Give me a break. No one wants to watch any more than the pilot, if that. Silly TV execs. (good) scripts are for bids.