Hawaii Five-0: New Alex O’Loughlin Pilot Is Finished

Hawaii Five-0At the recent premiere of his romantic comedy, The Back-Up Plan, Alex O’Loughlin revealed that he’s finished filming the new Hawaii Five-0 pilot and it’s been delivered to CBS.

Based on the classic Jack Lord series, CBS has been trying to get a new Hawaii Five-0 off the ground for awhile. This latest attempt has gotten further than the others and will star O’Loughlin, Scott Caan, and Daniel Dae Kim. As guest stars in the pilot, Jean Smart plays the Governor of Hawaii and James Marsters plays a villain.

O’Loughlin says that fans of the original series will recognize some key elements of the original series, including the familiar catchphrase, “Book ‘em Danno.”

He said, “I’ve already said it, I’ve done it, it’s in the can… We’re keeping the theme tune and I’m going to grow the quiff out and keep it sitting there like a banana.”

A veteran of short-lived CBS series Three Rivers and Moonlight, O’Loughlin says the finished project’s been delivered to the network executives and they await their decision. He has a good feeling about the project.

If the new Hawaii Five-0 does become a series, O’Loughlin says he’ll have to work on his beach skills. “I’m a terrible surfer but I will learn to surf when we get over there,” he said.

What do you think? Are you excited to see the new Hawaii Five-0? If it doesn’t become a series, should CBS still release the pilot?

BARBARA BURKE September 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

GIVE IT A CHANCE, WE MIGHT BE SURPIESED AT HOW GOOD IT IS

Suzanne Faith July 14, 2010 at 8:24 am

Dan: this or any other site is NOT the place for putting down African
Americans, or any other race or nationality. Go someplace where you belong….like the middle of ‘Siberia….Not nice. Alex (if he were pink and green stripped) would do a terrific job on move or tv show he did. AND Moonlight fans, I have the DVD, have played it so many times I know the lines of almost all 16 episodes, however, beating a dead horse doesn’t make sense. The dynamics between Beth and Mick would be quite different …. I say go for a movie in the future when Alex has time…if he wants to do it. We all have to live in the real world. Suzanne Alex’s Forever Fan

Linda June 13, 2010 at 9:51 am

I am looking forward to the remake of Hawaii Five-O. Obviously, there are the die-hard fans of the original who are not willing to give this version a chance for whatever reason and that’s OK but it’s been 30 years now since the original aired – what better time for a remake! I hope CBS gives this version every opportunity to succeed because TPTB at CBS have been all to quick to pull the plug on new shows without really giving them the chance to get off the ground. Done the right way – Hawaii Five-O can be a huge hit for CBS providing they give it a chance. Here’s hoping they listen this time. :)

virginia white June 2, 2010 at 7:56 am

i think it will be okay if they keep it to the original because it was a very clean show and steve mcag ‘; was not a ladies man i think he has two loves on his show but at least he was a gentleman about it and in real life he was always respected for his life in tv and off as well he was married for years and i think it would degrad his name to have it any other way areally big fan virginia ann

ellen stephens May 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm

i am glad that Hawaii Five O will be back on. This is the type of show that we need in today society. I love Hawaii Five O the original and I will without a dout watch the new series.

dan May 18, 2010 at 11:39 am

remakes suck !!

[rest of text deleted for racist comments]

pinkiepie230 May 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Alex O’Loughlin? I do not like his face at all.
Probably, Alex O’Loughlin will be exchanged by the better actor after Pao Lotto.
Alex is not fit for a leeeeead. Alex has been trained professionally to do stunt work so if he decides to give up being the leeeeeeeeeeead…… well he will have a job! LOL

Sid May 7, 2010 at 7:16 am

I never seen the original but heard abour rumors of a remake since christmas so I’m looking forward to it.

Already a huge fan of NCIS AND NCIS:LA, so a crime show in Hawaii is great!!!!

Brian Reilly May 6, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I really think they should have used something from the past series to tie the old series in with the new proposed series. I own the original 1968 Ford Fairlane 500 convertible that was used in 6 episodes of Hawaii Five-O back in 1968. It was used in “Tiger by the Tail,” “No Blue Skies,” “Deathwatch,” “Up Tight,” “By the Numbers,” and “24 Karat Kill.” In “24 Karat Kill,” the words “Book ‘em Danno” were first spoken by Lord. Ford gave the Fairlane to CBS, and shipped it to Honolulu, Hawaii where it was picked up by Mr. Bernard Oseransky. The car was never sold by Ford and was given away to CBS as a promotional “Show Unit.” The Fairlane has lasted as long as Hawaii Five-O has been around during its 12 year run, plus years and years of re-runs, that would be 42 years total. I think the car would have been a lucky charm for the new series. What do you think? Should it have been given a cameo role in the new series? Vote with your replies to this post.
Thanks much.

jj May 6, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I am 43 and I watched the original series all the time. I hope CBS gives this a chance because I AM SICK OF REALITY SHOWS !!!!!!!!!! Please give this show a chance. OH and the lead guys are so hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Cooper December 7, 2010 at 5:13 am

I agree totally with you. I seldom watch TV because there is so little real drama other than the ones that always deal with medical emergencies and are a lot like soap opera’s.

Tina May 4, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I like the idea but admittedly mainly because of Alex O’Loughlin. I just hope that it keeps enough references to the original so that we have a clue what we’re looking at. If you mess with an original you better remind us of what we’re looking at but make it even better than the original to hold our interest. Otherwise why not just create a whole new show. Please don’t make the same mistake that was made making Miami Vice into a movie. Despite the great Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell, there were just not enough references to the original series nor was the movie a better version. But again, Alex will be the draw for me. I was a fan of Moonlight and for the life of me can’t figure out why it was not renewed for another season.

Kathryn May 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Oh, HELL YES!!! I’m completely stoked about this, and I generally HATE, HATE, HATE all the remakes and pre-packaged marketing concepts Hollywood is addicted to. But Alex in a beach setting, playing an ex-SEAL will definitely rock!!

Ann May 3, 2010 at 10:46 am

No. I am not excited at all by the remake of Hawaii Five-0. Fist of all, it was a great show that I don’t feel should be messed with. Everytime I turn around someone is taking a beloved show of mine and revamping it. What are these writers being paid for? Second, statistically remakes never ever ever make it. A feature film would be okay since I enjoyed several, but week after week never. Look at: Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Melrose Place, just to name a few. I would like someone to name a remake that is still currently airing. I think that would be a shorter list. Sorry guys. Not excited at all.

Keith May 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

Jack Lord was bigger than life.
There was ONLY ONE Jack Lord !
A Hawaii Five-0 remake?? YUCK !!!!!!!!

Kris May 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I wish Alex luck, but I’ll be surprised if this remake goes…..and I sure as heck don’t trust CBS. Even tho there is a darn good chance I’ll watch the network since Tom Selleck is due to be in “Reagan’s Law” on CBS. I’ll watch Tom Selleck read a phone book ! (smile) I’m afraid Alex doesn’t have the ‘star power’ to hold a series on his own right now. Moonlight was a fantastic NEW, and DIFFERENT series that CBS goofed on. But it had an ensemble cast that was brilliant. And I’m so sick of remakes right now e.g. Miami Vice, Charlies Angel’s, word is out about Gilligan’s Island, Wild Wild West…..YAWNNN!! No more please, and will SOMEONE take Moonlight off the shelf and do something with it!! Maybe third time is the charm for Alex, and CBS will ‘let him go’, so he can take Moonlight to cable!