Hawaii Five-0: Compare the New Show’s Opening with the Last Two

Hawaii Five-0To no surprise, CBS picked up the new Hawaii Five-0 series. The TV show will have a prominent spot on the Fall 2010 schedule, airing on Monday nights at 10pm. This new series is not a continuation of the original but a remake. It stars Alex O’Loughlin, Scott Caan, Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park, Jean Smart, and Taryn Manning.

CBS has released some clips of the new Hawaii Five-0, including the opening theme and credits. Fans of the original series may be happy to know that they’ve retained the theme though it has been tweaked a bit.

Now, compare it to the original theme and to the opening of the unaired pilot for a new series from 1996. The latter stars Gary Busey and was conceived as a continuation of the original. Several actors from the Jack Lord series reprise their roles. It was not well-received by CBS and did not become a series.

What do you think? Do you like the new version or do you prefer one of the earlier incarnations?

Canceled and renewed TV show

27 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

As much as I loved the original Hawaii Five-O I am very excited and looking forward
    to the new reboot for this fall. The new musical theme is fine though it is pale in
    comparison to the original theme song. I think the casting of Alex O’ Loughlin as
    the new Steve McGarrett and Daniel-Dae Kim as Chin Ho is excellent. I became
    a fan of Kim from watching “Lost” and I also enjoyed watching “Moonlight” which
    starred O’ Loughlin. I hope the new Five-O will have quality writing and high
    production values as well. And you cannot go wrong by filming on location in
    Hawaii just like the original show was done.

2. Linda Romana says

I like the new Hawaii Five-O better than the original. Can’t wait to see it this fall! :) I’m a huge Alex O’Loughlin fan and I am glad to see him in the new Hawaii Five-O series. He deserves to be in it. He is such a great actor.

3. Kel says

I like the new intro, the original is best but this is good. However the “MTV jump cuts” visual style here is hopped up on caffeine and sugar. I swear all the spastic imagery stuttering across in front of my eyes dang near gave me a seizure… and I don’t even have any kind of seizure disorder!

4. K says

Frankly, I’m impressed the new one has an OP with a theme at all. It’s so rare these days that they’re willing to devote any of their already reduced screen time to something like that.

5. Sue says

While the “classic” theme will always be “the” theme, I think they did a good job of updating it for the new Hawaii Five-O. And these days some shows have 5 second openings, so any theme is a good theme. I really like the looks of the new show and Hawaii is so beautiful, I hope they make good use of it. The new cast looks amazing also. I love Castle also, but that is what DVR’s are for. I will watch H50 and tape Castle.

6. Bianca33 says

The new one is absolutely the best! Sure, I also like the original, but a more contemporary beat was needed for the new show. I can’t wait to see this remake with Alex O’Loughlin! The show will be a sure hit.

7. Jan says

Absolutely no contest!! The new version of the theme is so much better! And as much as I liked Castle, there’s no contest there either!! Hawaii Five-0 is the winner!! The previews are awesome and I cannot wait to see this show!!

8. anne usher says

I have watched the theme music video a few times and it is growing on me. But the old music is such a classic!! The new show will be great!! I was mistaken about the scenes there is plenty of lush scenery. I do apologize. anne usher

9. G says

I like the original but I think the new one is the best! The one with Gary Busey doesn’t even compare.

10. Connie says

I can’t wait for the new version. It looks awesome and I love the new version of the theme music.

11. alavenia says

The new Hawaii 5-0 2010 of course, it has a great cast and I love the opening, this show will be a success!

12. anne usher says

when I said i wanted to see more Hawaii locations I meant in the opening of the show with the music! oh and while i am commenting again It is going to be difficult to switch from Castle on Monday’s to H5O!!! Let the competition begin! patiently waiting for the fall! anne usher

13. anne usher says

I so want this new H5O to be a success and I am so looking forward to the show’s premiere in the fall. But I must reluctantly say that I like the original theme better. The new one doesn’t seem to have the driving rythum of the original. The new one seems to be to quick to be over. Is that because it is just a clip? anyway the preview scenes I have seen are great!! Oh! also I would like to see more of Hawaii locations-silly to mention but it is so exotic!! anyway I cannot wait until the fall!! Much SUCCESS to everyone involved in the production as well as everyone behind the camera that we don’t see to the ones in front of the camera! anne usher