Head Case: Starz TV Show Cancelled; No Season Four

Head Case on StarzHead Case revolves around a therapist who works with celebrities in Los Angeles. The performers sometimes have to deal with big professional disappointments, like when their TV shows are cancelled. Unfortunately, the actors on the Starz series now have firsthand knowledge of how that feels.

Alexandra Wentworth stars as Dr. Elizabeth Goode, an unapologetically frank therapist. Her unconventional methods have made her the “It” counselor in Hollywood and her practice has thrived. Regular performers on the series also include Steve Landesberg, Michelle Arthur, Candace Dean Brown, Rob Benedict, and Aris Alvarado.

The Starz series debuted in April of 2007 as 10-minute vignettes and evolved into half-hour episodes. Head Case became a showcase for performers who wanted to play themselves and get some “tough love” onscreen. Those that have been “helped” include Andy Dick, Greg Grunberg, Jeff Probst, Tori Spelling, Tom Sizemore, Jason Lewis, Sean Hayes, Jeff Goldblum, Jason Priestley, and Ralph Macchio.

Should Head Case have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Wentworth once commented, “The guest stars love the improv aspect of the show… They are given the chance to add their own dialogue, which hardly ever happens [on other shows], and is a breath of fresh air for them.”

When the third season of Head Case was announced, Stephan Shelanski, Starz’s executive vice president of programming, said, “Head Case was our first original half-hour comedy to debut on Starz and we are all excited to see it grow alongside our ever-expanding slate of top notch original TV programming… The true strength of this show stems from Ali Wentworth’s natural comedic instincts and the ability to offer our talent an open forum, where improvised dialogue and creativity are always encouraged. The final result is an eccentric, unconventional, unpredictably hilarious TV series, which we are proud to air on Starz.”

Those warm feelings seem to have faded over time unfortunately. The season three finale, which aired on May 22, 2009, has turned out to be the show’s last installment. Critic Rob Owen recently confirmed the cancellation with the cable channel. Episode 28, which guest-stars Jerry Seinfeld, is the end of the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Head Case won’t be back for another season?

Anonymous April 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I am very disappointed that the show won’t be back, it was one of the funniest shows I had ever seen.

Diane April 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I have been waiting for Head Case to come back & I’m very disappointed it’s cancelled. It was one of the funniest shows on tv. It’s too bad they never give the good ones a chance.

Janine April 22, 2010 at 7:12 pm

this show was HUGELY funny. God i hate when they cancel good shows. give me a break, starz. you’re soooo stupid!!!

jyp April 21, 2010 at 8:43 am

I was so looking forward to more of this great show that is unique in every way. i hope that starz does not fall into a rut of airing shows without backbone .

Susan April 20, 2010 at 10:01 am

I am so upset that there will be no season four. The show is a riot. Hopefully iy will be picked up somewhere else!

Brent Egemo March 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm

That is to bad, when you finally find a hillarous behavior health comedy, with good actors
they cancel the show.
That is a shame, the Starz executives need to rethink that decision or I will surely cancel Starz and pick up HBO. they have some comedies, but not as brilliant as “Headcase”

jh jefferson March 24, 2010 at 5:32 pm

this is hysterically funny- the best I have seen in a long time- do you even understand funny- to have canceled this- I am soooooooo disappointed!

Kim March 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I am still pissed off about this…I did cancel Starz!!! The show was toooo funny to get rid of and may I add I gave Crash a chance fror the second season..thumbs down it sucked!

PJ March 23, 2010 at 7:44 am

I can’t believe you cancelled this series!!!!! I’ve been looking and looking, and waiting and waiting for season four. Where do you get your information. Everyone I knew was talking about the show, and if they weren’t I talked to them about it….I laughed my ass off at every episode. I haven’t done that in a long, long, time. I guess some people don’t know a good thing when it hits them right between the eyes….This was the only series I watched on Starz. I won’t be renewing….

Jim March 18, 2010 at 5:59 pm

The only reason I subscribed to Starz was to watch Head Case. No Head Case, no Starz (for me).

Andrea March 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’m VERY disappointed that this show was cancelled. A truly funny show. Shame on you STARZ?

Megan March 15, 2010 at 10:28 am

I loved this show! I would look forward to it every week. Alexandra and cast were always funny. I kept checking to see for when the next season would start and now REALLY disappointed that the show is canceled. Sure hope that another station picks up the show, it would be worth it for them

Megan March 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

This show was the best! I always looked forward to seeing it everyweek. After my dad passed I had a hard time being able to laugh and Alexandra and cast helped me learn to laugh again. Please bring it back or another station pick it up.

Collin Watchie March 14, 2010 at 1:33 am

Starz dropping Head Case is a mistake. Alexandra is genious and I truly enjoyed the show. Such a shame. I really hope another station takes up the chance to snag this one and get it running again. Kinda like what happened with scrubs? Fingers crossed!

Andrea Gladstone March 5, 2010 at 9:08 pm

UGH —- been waiting and waiting for the new episodes. This show is HILARIOUS!! Maybe another station will pick it up …. PLEASE.