Helix: Syfy Orders New TV Series

new TV series on SyfySyfy has given the go-ahead for a new scripted TV series from Ronald D. Moore, tentatively called Helix. They’ve ordered 13 episodes and the show is expected to air later this year.

Here’s the press release with some details:

SYFY REUNITES WITH RONALD D. MOORE GREENLIGHTS NEW SCRIPTED SERIES “HELIX” FROM SONY PICTURES TELEVISION FOR 2013

MOORE AND LYNDA OBST SERVE AS EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS

NEW YORK – March 7, 2013 – Syfy is giving a 13-episode greenlight to Helix (working title), its newest original scripted series for 2013, it was announced today by Mark Stern, President of Original Content, Syfy and Co-Head Original Content, Universal Cable Productions. Helix is Executive Produced by Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica), Lynda Obst (Sleepless in Seattle, Contact), Steven Maeda (Lost, CSI: Miami, The X-Files) and Cameron Porsandeh, who wrote the pilot, will serve as Co-Executive Producer. The series will be produced by Sony Pictures Television.

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation.

“With its well-drawn characters, taut drama, and incredible production team, we couldn’t be more excited to see this intense thrill-ride of a series come to life,” said Mark Stern

Helix is expected to begin production early in 2013 to debut later this year.

Sony Pictures Television is one of the television industry’s leading content providers, producing and distributing programming worldwide in every genre including comedy, drama and reality series, telefilms and theatrical releases, for every platform. SPT is a leader in local language production around the world with 18 production companies outside the US, and also sells SPE-owned formats in approximately 70 countries. SPT’s worldwide television networks portfolio includes 124 channel feeds, which are available in 159 countries reaching more than 800 million households. Additionally, SPT owns multiplatform video service Crackle and is a part owner of GSN, 3net, FEARnet, and ITN Networks, Inc.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 98 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

What do you think? Does Helix sound interesting? Do you think it will be a success? Will you check it out?

retired January 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I watched the 3 released shows, even though each one sucked… it is not going on my to watch list.. to think of the great shows cancelled and to put this out is just wrong…

Leiah September 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I hope this remains. They apparently don’t pay attention to what smart people (with money) say, they only listen to people who sit home and watch t v instead of working apparently. I H.A.T.E. so-called “reality” shows. Give me Haven any day!!!!!!!!

Grandizer March 11, 2013 at 3:01 pm

12 comments before mine and NO ONE mentioned the basket they are putting their eggs in come April…

Defiance…

Gives you an idea how much people think of SyFy and what they have done for the genre. I will give it a watch, but will not support it if there is no promise.

Some of the things that SyFy have launched or brought have been laughable, and horrible… Who remembers the horror that was Painkiller Jane, or Flash Gordon?

Chris March 9, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Dont blame syfy for the lack of quality scripted shows, blame the stupid prople that overun our soceity and watch stuff like that. Because they dont put up shows based on what you like, they order new shows based in viewership and ratings, and lets be honest, “reality” tv gets a lot more viewership than most scripted shows these days. Maybe of more people actually took the time to watch the quality scripted shows we wouldnt have this problem.

Jonathan Gartner March 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm

This channel basically sucks. They are no longer anything close to a SCI FI channel than I am to a french sous chef. No more Star Trek of any variety, Babylon 5 or even the X-Files. They now show “Ghost Hunter” crap I await the day when some one actually brings this channel back. But, I am not holding my breath. I get more SCI FI from either the hub with sliders or BBC with Doctor Who.

WhyWatch March 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Why is everything premised as a “life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation.” Didn’t this also describe the quickly demised ‘Zero Hour’. Whenever I see these hyperbola, I think this show must be a dud.
But since it is a syfy series, it’ll likely have an evil wrestler ghost as well.

Steve March 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I watched that movie when it was called “The Andromeda Strain.”

MK March 8, 2013 at 11:50 am

Hooray! A break from people jumping in dark rooms, robots and wrestling! Give WH 13 and Haven more than 13 eps a year. I am sick of 13 episode seasons. Bring back Alphas and Eureka and Caprica.

hikaricore March 9, 2013 at 3:30 am

I totally forgot about the “robots”. XD

bg March 8, 2013 at 5:38 am

Was not that funny. Syfy does has some excellent scripted series.

Jonathan Gartner March 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Where???? in Wrestling??? or Ghosts???

hikaricore March 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Why is it on syfy if it doesn’t feature ghosts or wrestling?
Am i missing something here?

Bull Halsey March 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Tav-El March 8, 2013 at 2:39 am

“That was funny. hikaricore you are responsible for me spilling a cup of coffee on myself while bursting out laughing at your sarcasm, well done. Now if you’ll excuse me I must go change my pants…”

Ditto. Except that it wasn’t coffee. It was just my own spit.

Jonathan Gartner March 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

To true and well stated. Sadly