Hellcats: What Would Have Happened in Season Two?

Hellcats canceled season twoOne of the few CW cancellations this season was freshman drama Hellcats. While the series didn’t have the worst season average ratings, the numbers were essentially in a slow over the entire season. Towards the end, it hit a series low with a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demo, a 0.7 rating in the young female demo, and fewer than a million viewers. Even by CW standards, those numbers are just too low to get the TV series renewed.

The CW officially acknowledged that Hellcats was cancelled last week. Unfortunately, the finale was shot before the cast and crew knew the TV show’s fate and it ended with storylines unresolved. Prior to the cancellation, Zap2It spoke with Hellcats creator Kevin Murphy who gave some insight into what season two might have held.

The Marti/Dan/Savannah storyline was put on hold in season one but there were plans to revisit it in season two.

Since he was accepted at Lancer University, townie Dan Patch would have had some storylines of his own. Murphy noted, “He’s always either been the boyfriend of Savannah or the friend of Marti. I really wanted to be able to give him more points of access to Alice and Lewis and Vanessa and everyone else.” Part of that would have included Dan becoming a cheerleader. This was almost shown in the finale with Matt Barr was actually in the uniform but it was never shot.

Despite the blow-up at the end of the season, AJ would have continued to be an important part of the series. There were plans for Ciara return as well and the pop star was enthusiastic about the possibility.

Following in the footsteps of the special Zombie episode, Murphy had plans for more theme episodes. Possibilities included a Western-themed episode, aliens and post-apocalypse.

Executive producer Tom Welling wanted to direct some episodes but couldn’t because of his Smallville commitments. Had the show returned, Welling was planning to direct some of the season two installments.

What do you think? What do you think of these season two plans? What else would you liked to have seen happen?

samantha November 25, 2014 at 2:04 am

i really wanted to know what happened to marti and her sister i want to know if she ever saw her dad. it makes me so mad that they ended the show like that and never tried to start up again.

fan October 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm

return it omg

Get it back October 18, 2014 at 6:37 am

now

Douglas October 4, 2014 at 4:19 am

I watched this show because I was bored and ran out of shows to watch. I am going to say, when I started to watch the show I expected to not like it. Once I started to watch it I could not stop. I think the real reason for the rating is because you expect a cheerleader type of show and it is so much more than that. If more people actually knew that I think more would watch it. It is to bad another great show gets cancelled again…

Faith B September 20, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I really think they should continue the series and I would like to see more of the Savannah/Dan/Marti situation. I also wonder what will happen after Vanessa is fired.

Anonymous September 20, 2014 at 12:38 am

Please reconsider and bring Hellcats back. I just finished watching season one and loved it. Lets go CW, make it happen please.

Lizzy S September 17, 2014 at 11:06 pm

They should definitely bring it back. I just finished it and I LOVE IT!! I want to know what happens with Marti an her sister and what happens to the squad when coach is fired. Ahhhh! It’s killing me!

Kiks August 22, 2014 at 10:27 am

I really loved this show! I found it a few days ago and finished the first season. I wished there was a season two because so many things were left unresolved and I wanna see how things end with marti, her sister, and her dad, or even if dani and marti aliens up together.

Anonymous July 30, 2014 at 8:36 pm

It was great! Unfortunately there is only one season..

Jessica H July 10, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I think they should return the show. I loved it.