Heroes: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Five but…

IMAGEAfter becoming an almost immediate hit for NBC in Fall of 2006, Heroes dropped significantly in the ratings over the past couple seasons. Fans have complained about the storylines but the TV show has been one of the network’s biggest draws in the 18-49 demographic. NBC has opted to cancel it anyway.

Heroes follows a group of ordinary humans who have developed extraordinary powers that end up affecting their lives in positive and negative ways. The series’ large ensemble cast includes Adrian Pasdar, Ali Larter, Cristine Rose, Greg Grunberg, Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Milo Ventimiglia, Robert Knepper, Sendhil Ramamurthy, and Zachary Quinto.

The network had reportedly been considering three options to wrap up Heroes — a 13 episode order for mid-season, an order of four to six episodes that could be aired over a couple nights in the fall, or to just cancel the series outright.

Though Heroes still brought NBC some its better 18-49 ratings this season, the numbers just can’t justify costs with a sizable cast and special effects budget. The network has a large selection of new hour-long dramas to choose from and so, has decided to cut Heroes.

On the bright side, NBC is supposedly working on a plan to wrap up the series. Right now, it sounds like there will be a two or four hour event that will air mid-season. The details will revealed at NBC’s upfront presentation on Monday morning.

Over the past day or so, Grunberg has been tweeting and hinting that “the fat lady” was getting ready to sing. As the news broke of Heroes’ cancellation, he wrote, “I’m hearing The FAT LADY singing her ass off!!! #Heroes = Cancelled! Sad. BUT… W/bad news comes GOOD!! My Next Tweet will explain!!” Three hours later, and Grunberg still hasn’t tweeted again.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Heroes has been cancelled or was it long overdue? Will you watch the wrap-up event, whenever or whatever it is?

Tank July 27, 2012 at 8:07 pm

im very pissed off that they chose to cancel this tv series. i mean come on really another stupid ass drama series instead of one action sci fy. theres tons of dramas and not enough action series. they say it was to complicated really? i found this series less confusing than 13 to 15 seasons of smallville. while i like smallville i dont think it deserved that many seasons. rediculous to cancel one that ended way before its prime. but its ok to air millions of repeats of everything else. sadly common sense doesnt seem to be a factor anymore. lets air millions of repeats and not air anything new and cancel everything that is to complicated for small minded people that seems to be the only way to fix things.

Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 5:48 am

Fuck u guys that show was the best

paul July 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Noo I hate you nbc why did you even show the beging to a brave new orld I hope you all die a peasants death you bad bad people

Toyko July 18, 2012 at 2:41 am

I know what i must do. Go back in time to stop nbc from making a huge mistake!! Save the SHOW, SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!! I think they should make a movie to finish the series off. It would be the best thing to have closer and go out with a bang!!!!!!! just a thought..

Wa July 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

Im every upset that the show got cancelled. It was one of my favorite shows of all time. Still to this day I still look for the show on tv Smh NBC made a dumb move by canceling the they could Atleast finished out the season first

johnny strawn July 10, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Im pissed!!! we hate nbc so we never watched hereos until we saw every episode on netflixs,,we are all medians in our family and the show meant alot to us,Please bring Hereos Back!!!!

Tellis July 8, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I never even knew Heroes existed until my son saw an episode over a friends then went home and pulled it up on Netflix. He then called me and just like him, I fell in love with the show and all of the characters. In fact, we spread the word to our family in D.C., Tennessee and Chicago! It didn’t take long for everyone to come to the same realization… the show was cancelled!!! Maybe the network exec’s need to actually talk to the people and stop depending on outside sources to tell them what shows are actually being watched. I mean, have they ever even seen the show???

Anonymous July 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

It sucks to hear that this show cancelled. Fuck nbc!

Anonymous July 1, 2012 at 9:03 am

I didn’t even know this show existed until it came out on netflix. If I would have known, this show would have had alot more viewers because teenagers spread things quickly, and if NBC would have advertised more than there wouldn’t be as many people like me who didn’t know about this show. I just started season 1 and fell in love with it after episode 3 it sucks to hear that this show cancelled, and it wasn’t a smart move for NBC either.

Notes June 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

I’m watching the entire series from the beginning, and I still love the show. NBC wasn’t thinking clearly when they shut “Heroes” down. Just before the series was cancelled I had gotten around twenty people to start watching the show, and those people were getting into the story-line. Had NBC waited they would have definitely gained more viewers (budget or not) because of the fans of the show spreading the word about the show. Then they had the audacity to end the show with a joke of a finale which I felt was like a punch in the face, and six more to the guts. I’d type more but it would mostly be profanity, and vulgar insults against the NBC executives that made the decision to end one of the only shows I’ve ever watched on their network other than “Life” and “S.N.L”. I want “Heroes” back on the air, but that would be too much like right. NBC owes their viewers a better finale.

Cas June 19, 2012 at 11:16 pm

It’s sad, I loved the plot, the actors matched the characters they portraid. Now I contend in watching “Hiro” as “Dr. Max” in Hawaii Five-O, But I missed “Peter” and “Claire” :(

Larry June 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Loved Heroes looked forward to it each week with me and my sons.
Could not understand why it was canceled…not at slobbing now watching it all on netflix getting close to it’s end and not looking forward to that…Heroes loved ya!

Glass Fire June 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

If you read the marvel Comic book series Civil War? Well in the story the heroes are exposed like Iron man and captain America because a heroe trys to safe a child and accidently blows up thrree blocks and kills over 500 people. So the goverment wants to track all the heroes and there pwers but some of the heroes disagree. This is where the heroes season could have continued heroes deciding what side to be on creating new alliances. I honestly thought that was the direction it was going. So writers if your reading this I would like to see more Heroes.

Karl Mohler June 8, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Loved the show Heros! Mad at NBC for canx. As for the wrtiting I thought the “terrorist” angle, with the Gov hunting them dwn was BAD idea! The show could have been resurected though. Over all, Awsome concept. Extaordaneairy Acting. Cast and crew outstanding. Wendy & Lisa & Shenkar lent so much talent to the Music, that set the tone and added an emontional element to the show. Cudos Cudos Cudos! Please figure out a way to bring the show back. Even if, (or especially), its on DVD. -K. Mohler

Anonymous June 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Fuck nbc!

Notes June 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

Agreed

P Barth July 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Now I understand why I don’t watch the “big three” networks – they have a propensity for dumping shows that people enjoy. Stopped watching “S.N.L.” many years ago after the original cast disappeared off the set, and that was the ONLY show NBC had that I watched until “Heroes” came out. Just finished rewatching all of them on Netflix, and loved them again……except for Samuel. I think that might be where the show “went wrong”. How about a movie, NBC? Give us more……you might get more viewers to your lousy network.