Heroes: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Five but…

IMAGEAfter becoming an almost immediate hit for NBC in Fall of 2006, Heroes dropped significantly in the ratings over the past couple seasons. Fans have complained about the storylines but the TV show has been one of the network’s biggest draws in the 18-49 demographic. NBC has opted to cancel it anyway.

Heroes follows a group of ordinary humans who have developed extraordinary powers that end up affecting their lives in positive and negative ways. The series’ large ensemble cast includes Adrian Pasdar, Ali Larter, Cristine Rose, Greg Grunberg, Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Milo Ventimiglia, Robert Knepper, Sendhil Ramamurthy, and Zachary Quinto.

The network had reportedly been considering three options to wrap up Heroes — a 13 episode order for mid-season, an order of four to six episodes that could be aired over a couple nights in the fall, or to just cancel the series outright.

Though Heroes still brought NBC some its better 18-49 ratings this season, the numbers just can’t justify costs with a sizable cast and special effects budget. The network has a large selection of new hour-long dramas to choose from and so, has decided to cut Heroes.

On the bright side, NBC is supposedly working on a plan to wrap up the series. Right now, it sounds like there will be a two or four hour event that will air mid-season. The details will revealed at NBC’s upfront presentation on Monday morning.

Over the past day or so, Grunberg has been tweeting and hinting that “the fat lady” was getting ready to sing. As the news broke of Heroes’ cancellation, he wrote, “I’m hearing The FAT LADY singing her ass off!!! #Heroes = Cancelled! Sad. BUT… W/bad news comes GOOD!! My Next Tweet will explain!!” Three hours later, and Grunberg still hasn’t tweeted again.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Heroes has been cancelled or was it long overdue? Will you watch the wrap-up event, whenever or whatever it is?

Canceled and renewed TV show

756 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Kimberley Higgins says

I have just finished watching season 1 to 4 of heroes and an so upset that store ends there.
    I just fell in love with the story. i dont have tv but bought the first season to watch and just couldnt stop watching.
    please bring it back!
    Make it into small movies and sell them that way. There is so much more that can be told in this store and use fans should have some sway in getting it back.

2. Julia says

Please !!! I want Heroes back, I’m just finished season two. I’m trying to save every precious moment I have with the characters before the show finishes! Please, I would love for the show to come back. :)

3. Pamank says

I guess the show was getting crap anyway. People want a show to end not just to be continued, to be continued and to never have anything happen, thats why soapies usually fail. Eventually people get over it and stop watching because they know they aren’t gonna miss anything and that nothing is gonna happen anyway, that they are only wasting their time.

• Michael says

please sign this petition to help bring the show back. heroes-petition-to-continue-the-nbc-tv-show/ *put that in google please and go to the top link.

4. Anonymous says

i agree that someone needs to bring this show back because this show is amazing and i love it but they do need the same cast.

5. Isaac David Raymond says

This sucks you ended it so soon I mean I got into the series a couple of years late but really. It ended on a good note but there was probably a couple of stupid shows that could have been dropped instead. All I want is a rap up. You could have made one more season to give closure to it. Like What about hiro will he ever find another women. Or Parkman what about his son and wife. Or Peter and Sylar. What happens next. You can’t end it there. You just make my mind wonder what would happen. I bet I could have found a good story that wouldn’t be so expensive with special effects. I mean come on.worst way to end it. I wish you would make more some day soon.

6. Anonymous says

How about you petition to bring out back. Nbc obviously sucks but maybe another network can take it over and Russel up the cast once again. Its on Netflix and its still Assn amazing show.. A lot of the principles in this sow are phenomenal and it had a deep message to give to us. Bring the original writer back and lets get the cast back and lets finish the show