Heroes: TV Show Cancelled by NBC; No Season Five but…

IMAGEAfter becoming an almost immediate hit for NBC in Fall of 2006, Heroes dropped significantly in the ratings over the past couple seasons. Fans have complained about the storylines but the TV show has been one of the network’s biggest draws in the 18-49 demographic. NBC has opted to cancel it anyway.

Heroes follows a group of ordinary humans who have developed extraordinary powers that end up affecting their lives in positive and negative ways. The series’ large ensemble cast includes Adrian Pasdar, Ali Larter, Cristine Rose, Greg Grunberg, Hayden Panettiere, Jack Coleman, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Milo Ventimiglia, Robert Knepper, Sendhil Ramamurthy, and Zachary Quinto.

The network had reportedly been considering three options to wrap up Heroes — a 13 episode order for mid-season, an order of four to six episodes that could be aired over a couple nights in the fall, or to just cancel the series outright.

Though Heroes still brought NBC some its better 18-49 ratings this season, the numbers just can’t justify costs with a sizable cast and special effects budget. The network has a large selection of new hour-long dramas to choose from and so, has decided to cut Heroes.

On the bright side, NBC is supposedly working on a plan to wrap up the series. Right now, it sounds like there will be a two or four hour event that will air mid-season. The details will revealed at NBC’s upfront presentation on Monday morning.

Over the past day or so, Grunberg has been tweeting and hinting that “the fat lady” was getting ready to sing. As the news broke of Heroes’ cancellation, he wrote, “I’m hearing The FAT LADY singing her ass off!!! #Heroes = Cancelled! Sad. BUT… W/bad news comes GOOD!! My Next Tweet will explain!!” Three hours later, and Grunberg still hasn’t tweeted again.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Heroes has been cancelled or was it long overdue? Will you watch the wrap-up event, whenever or whatever it is?

Montrell March 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Yes man love this show I watched season 1 season 4 2 days I hope it come back

funnylilboy March 15, 2013 at 5:17 am

I watched it when it first came out but I was in school and could not focus on school. I subscribed to Netflix and watched all four seasons like an addiction. It took me four days to watch all four seasons. I ate pissed shitted and watched four four days and the network just ended the show like that. That was not thinking about the viewers. Yes some viewers lost interest but the show lasted four seasons, that had to say it was worth it after the second season. The network, the cast, directors, and everyone else should come together and put together more season(s). I know that there are people out there that would love to see the show continue longer or even just one more episode to give us what did the world do when they found out about the people special abilities. Please

Tyanna March 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I agree completely with my fellow viewer,the wonderful series was cut short and everyone who fell in love with the series or that found themselves addicted, were smacked with the hard heartless truth of how to networks like NBC nothing matters but numbers. Even though it meant that you’d have to sell an outstanding creator like Tim’s work for less then what it truly is and truthfully it is magnificent,the way he captivated and kept people coming back for more was genius cause even i myself discovered it on Netflix and made it one of my top priorities. However because of the “ratings dropping” and so on, the network decided to cancel the series and never tell us what happens next or at least give us one more episode to make it all clear, instead all they did was sell all of the die hard fans nothing but a bunch of bull shit and why? Because the series wasn’t as hard hitting as Grey’s anatomy or The walking dead….. So dear NBC if you aren’t going to end and maintain tv series properly just stop because this was nothing short of TERRIBLE

~Tyanna (Boston.MA)

shake March 4, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I dont know how hereos writers screwed this show up so bad. The first season was so powerful. Without me over thinking it I feel like a big with was they nerfed peter and sylar. Peter lost his powers for a bit and sylar gave me the creeps and I was seriously worried for humanity. Suddenly, he’s not nearly as threatening as he was before. I’m sad, could have been a great series.

u are so wrong April 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm

sylar is a good guy in one of the ep peter is in the future and see sylar as a good dad sylar never ment to kill anyone it is his power he cant help it

ELICIA February 28, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I have to agree, this show was awsome!! I hope they eventually bring it back, because there are alot of fans that want to see this show continue.

Kayte- an extremely upset Heroes fan. February 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

Please!

Kayte- an extremely upset Heroes fan. February 26, 2013 at 1:04 am

I watched this show when it first aired and just recently re-watched the entire show. I am extremely disappointed with how they just abruptly ended it. I wish there was a way to get them to finish it.. I absolutely LOVE the show. Seriously upset about how they could just leave all of us fans hanging. RUDE!

Alyssa February 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I wish they at least finished the show :( You can’t just leave millions fans with questions unanswered! JUST ISN’T RIGHT. I miss Heroes so much. It was such an AMAZING series.

Rose February 19, 2013 at 11:29 am

This Network is the same as all the others. They’re pulling the same baloney Showtime did when they cancelled Dead like me, and Firefly. It took two years and a lot of pushing to get them to close Dead like me.When they did it was anti climatic. Some of the Original actors had moved into roles that prevented them from filming the last. It wasn’t the same.
Firefly they ended again years down the road with the movie Serenity which admittedly wasn’t bad and did tie everything up nicely. I don’t understand the mentality. You have something that’s working, so what do you do? You yank it on the off chance something newer will be better. Gimme a break already. NBC at least show you’ve got a pair and finish off the series. Don’t drag it out. Also be advised the only reason I watched NBC was because of this. Really thinking of chucking out the entire over-priced Comcast cable. Whats the point? There’s Netflix and Hulu and a bunch more, look them up Android users -pc and Apple alike. Well maybe not Apple, they make you pay for everything. But you get my drift. Why bother with commercial or cable tv. I can watch entire seasons of a show w/out commercials and in its entorety no waiting for next week. Remember to, Google tv is coming out. Comcast may squeeze Netflix through its total acquisition of Universal by cutting off access to shows w/out paying them a healthy fee which could result in higher prices. However Google tv is coming, Go on Comcast I double dog dare ya to screw with them. You won’t find it so easy, you who rank as one of the top 10 lousiest companies. What are you 6th now? Remember what goes around comes around. Anyway I digress—NBC finish off Heroes. Its the right thing to do.

cowboy February 25, 2013 at 4:12 pm

i dont know about any one else but they need to at least finish the show not leave us hanging but if there is more seasons to come id surely watch it i love the show but im jus one voice butt id at least like to know how it ends well good work to the cast and thanks i enjoyed it

no. 1 fan cowboy

heroes for ever April 12, 2013 at 11:51 pm

i am with
u bo

heroes for ever April 12, 2013 at 11:51 pm

broooo

Alexei Romanov IX February 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I find that the show left the viewer with too many unanswered questions such as what happened with season 5 shore that the network could have extended its cut off date and complete the final season and too complete the storyline instead of having us fans wait forever and to think how it would end I have given up on hoping that there would be a FIFTH Season without having these questions answered. This series leave with a lingering hope of a season 5 would not be Recorded or Aired but not not happy with this.

sad to hear it February 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Well Im Pissed. I am a new comer to all the “Heros” crave but my goodness this was one of the best TV series ever I must say! Over the last 17days like a drug I have came home craving to watch it on Netflix and you me to tell me that it was cancelled in four little season. In my TV series viewing history with goodies such as this one was you at least push to the 8th season like series such as “Charmed & Supernatural” all the great super power movies. PLEASE PLEASE Gimme some more “Heros” i promise to watch every episodes on time this time!!!!!

Lia February 5, 2013 at 5:08 pm

At least finish the show right!! Give it an ending that doesn’t leave us with so many questions!!

Anonymous February 5, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Finish the show!!!

i really would like to see them given in going to the show with the same cast I love the rolls February 1, 2013 at 1:07 am

although the show has been on the air for a while he will with 1 of the best TV shows that they ever made direct still a lot of us out there who love to watch it and it deserves a proper Indy please take us out of suspense and give a final show hope you are listening to the fans out here about the whole series on DVD I watch it over and over you cancel a really good show

Anonymous February 3, 2013 at 11:11 am

It was one of the best shows and I still would like the show to return even if is to answer all the questions. Claire showed the world her powers, Syler turned good. I would like the show to continue where it left off.

Personal January 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Do the rest I really want to see it but if you do use all the same actors!!!!!! Keep it!

stacey January 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

At least finish the show.