Heroes: Wrap-up Movie Not a Sure Thing

HeroesTim Kring, the creator of NBC’s Heroes, recently talked to EW about the prospect of a movie to wrap up the formerly hit series. It seemed like the project was essentially a done deal when it was announced that Heroes wouldn’t be back for season four. Now, it don’t seem so sure.

He said, “No decision has been made [about the movie]. But the Heroes brand is an extremely broad premise. It was a premise about ordinary people, an undisclosed number of people all over the world, who were waking up to these extraordinary abilities. Any number of stories could happen around that. We never posited a single ending or a single premise. It wasn’t about getting off of an island or stopping something from happening. We told stories in volumes that had a beginning, a middle, and an end. Those volumes could go on and on and on with many different characters.”

He continued, “As a result, that Heroes universe is something that can be tapped into again in many ways. Certainly, a movie is a way to do that and clearly, there is an entire world and a number of platforms that this property could live in. Movies sometimes need a little distance from the television show.”

A couple weeks ago, Kring said that he was pitching his movie idea to NBC later this month. He hinted that the movie would skip ahead a year and deal with the repercussions of Claire revealing her powers to the world in the finale. She’ll have become a reluctant spokesperson for the abnormals and Sylar will (once again) struggle with his dark side. He said, “There will be a huge cultural and social change in the world. Some [of our characters] will be hiding, some struggling, some basking in the glory.”

Kring feels confident that, if he can get NBC to agree to make the Heroes wrap-up, that the large cast would agree to return. He added that Adrian Pasdar would probably be back but wouldn’t be playing deceased Nathan Petrelli.

What do you think? Will the Heroes movie get made or will it go the way of the Commander in Chief and Deadwood movies?

KikiAnn October 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I kept checking for a wrap up, but at this point I don’t care. Why even start watching a show that is even remotely different because they’ll just cancel it & you’ll never really get the end of the story line……I don’t mean NBC, it is everyone of these idiot networks… Jericho, Dollhouse, Happy Town, Flash Forward…because obviously, what we all really want to see is something about some reality show about some girl who can’t live without a man or some fatty mcfatterton lose some weight or another cop drama……boring…….

spicy75 August 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I am extremely disappointed about heroes being canceled. I believe with the millions in audience that it did attract should have been enough to keep it on TV. If one of their reasons was because of the special effects than why could NBC not take some of them out so we as fans do not have to go without the show. I do not believe that this is fair to do to those people including myself who have looked forward to each and every time that the season began. It all comes down to NBC making money. They do not come across as unintelligent people so why could they not have come up with a better option than cancelling. Who is actually running the show there?

Michael August 22, 2010 at 9:27 am

I have been watching heroes since season 1 aired on television and own all 4 seasons on DVD and was waiting for season 5. I would really appreciate a wrap-up movie. This television series can not just end with no closure. I have to say I am extremely upset that there is no season 5 coming. I can still sit and watch all seasons over and over and am a huge fan of heroes. Please please make a wrap-up movie!!

Vanessa July 29, 2010 at 12:08 am

Yes, I would like to see a movie to wrap the show Heroes.

Isa July 10, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I’ve been in contact with Tim Kring. Believe me if you will or not, I don’t really care. This interview is a marvelous example of the interviewer hearing what he or she wants to hear. What Kring actually said about Nathan was that he would LIKE to bring Pasdar back, but isn’t sure how that would work with the plot. Oh, and he seems fairly optimistic about chances for a wrap-up.

Please report on what the subject actually says, not what you want to hear.

Thanks.

admin July 11, 2010 at 4:24 am

@Isa If you can provide a source for the interview that TV Guide quoted, or a published source in which Kring clarifies his comment about Pascar, we’d be glad to adjust the article accordingly.

Isa July 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I’d be glad to do that and more, if Mr. Kring is agreeable to it. Is there someone I could send the information to directly? An e-mail address to the writer of this article, or another editor, perhaps? My e-mail address should be in your files after my last post. Feel free to send me an e-mail at it, preferably with “Kring” in the subject heading. I look forward to hopefully clearing this up.

Willow July 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Please get your facts straight. Tim said he would love to have Adrian back if possible because he enjoyed working with him, NOT that he would “probably be back” as you claim. It shows that your “source” is simply another article repeating what they are all getting wrong. Tim is still in negotiations with NBC for what forms the finale and continuation of the Heroes universe will take. If you want to report actual facts, you might want to talk to Mr. Kring himself or someone at publicity at NBC. Also look for him to discuss some of this at his Comic-Con panel in San Diego.

admin July 10, 2010 at 6:25 pm

@Willow: Thank you for your comment. The source of that portion is linked and reflects what we’ve reported.

Ryuichi July 10, 2010 at 9:04 am

I would LOVE to see a movie, but honestly, it would be best as a miniseries. Of course, I doubt if NBC would do so, but I can hope!

Ryuichi

syd July 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I love the show, I liked the last season. Please keep it going. It deserves a wrap up.

thanks,
syd

jim June 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm

there HAS to be a wrap-up!!!!!!!!!! plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ppl will watch it, i know!!!!!!!

Carmel June 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Oh please do a wrap up of heroes I wish it didn’t get cancelled I truly love the show and cast I wish you could take and keep the show on good luck to all of the cast.

Ryan June 24, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Didn’t like much of season 4, but want a wrap up. They should have done season 5. It’d be easier to market and sell, and could have aired with season 4 in reruns. Heck, they could have done a 7 or 8 episode season and aired it this fall then started showing whatever new drama they wanted.

ABC and HBO were dumb with how they handled CIC and DW

Barb June 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Please finish the story line with a movie. I have been watching this since the first episode and closure is needed!!

Lori June 24, 2010 at 9:55 am

It better get made. I think it deserves a wrap up despite what it’s creator says, sure outside of the characters there is an untold amount of people with powers but I don’t care about those peoples stories I care about the characters stories, so wrap it up. If the main series eventually lost popularity and interest (me excluded, I love it still) I don’t think a spin off would fair any better assuming his comment implies no wrap up but a possible spin off.

Cel June 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Skylar? You mean Sylar? Nice. lol.
Adrian Pasdar back but not as Nathan Petrelli…I have no idea what that could mean but I’m not really into an idea of a film, as far as I’m concerned the show only got worse as time went on. There were some interesting prospects none of which had to do with Claire – ‘save the cheerleader save the world’ was so volume 1.

gotFLava June 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Yes please have a Heroes wrap up movie. People haVE invested 4 yrs into this show and would love to see a good resolution. I could also see some spin offs from Heroes too. So keeping my fingers crossed……..