Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

kathy January 12, 2014 at 10:23 am

I couldn’t wait for monday night to watch Hostages….it was a show with so many twists…really had to pay attention…perhaps that’s why it didn’t go over…so many people don’t actually pay attention to the tv in the background…I will miss all the characters…but especially Duncan…loved him.

Tanya January 11, 2014 at 4:41 am

I really feel we need another series as to many questions were not answered

Cindy January 11, 2014 at 1:50 am

Hostages was good and worthy of another season. The reason for low ratings was simple. It was pit against BLACKLIST on NBC, same timeslot. Move it to another slot and you’d be seeing the ratings jump. At least CBS created an ending.

Tonya January 10, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Yes it should come back!!! I truly loved this show and want to see the Dr. and Duncan together!!!!

Cynthia Woods January 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I watched every episode and looked forward to every one. I’d definitely watch a second season.

Tiffany January 10, 2014 at 10:34 am

I LOVE this show. I watched every episode and I don’t know why other people didn’t see what I saw in it. Like Rhonda said above, I also think it would be a wonderful idea to have a show based mainly on Duncan and Ellen. The epoide when they kissed?!?!? Oh my goodness. For some reason I found myself routing for those two as a couple. I enjoyed this show and really hope they continue it in some way with some on the characters. It started out where you hated Duncan, but by about half way through it, I actually liked him. Especially the part when he helped the daughter hide her pregancy test from the dad. Please keep the sho going!!!

Donna January 9, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I really got into Hostages and would be sad to see it go. I hope CBS brings it back for another season.

Linda January 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Loved the show couldn’t wait for Monday nights to watch it, Please bring it back for future seasons. One of the best shows on television.

Donna January 9, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I loved Hostages. I thought the writing was great

SOstyiaol January 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I am so upset that they are cancelling hostages. I love this show why do
They keep the other bad shows and cancel the good ones. I am boycotting cbs

C P January 9, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Don’t cancel it!

MOE January 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm

PLEASE BRING IT BACK!! I THINK THIS WAS A FANTASTIC SHOW AND ENJOYED EACH EPISODE

diane cohen January 9, 2014 at 8:03 am

its was fabulous. I don’t know why it off the air. for two hours, it went fast. I really enjoy the series. im going to miss it. it was really enjoying series. I don’t get it at all.

Savannah-24 January 9, 2014 at 2:17 am

I Love Hostage It Should Not Be Canclled BringIt Back For Season 2.

Rhonda January 9, 2014 at 1:13 am

I really enjoyed watching Hostages .Sometimes Iwas sitting on the edge of seat to see what would happen next. All the actors played their parts well.For the ending I was hoping Ellen and Duncan would have ended up together. I was hoping there would be another season . The part when Duncan talks to Nina ,his wife, she seems ok with going to jail Does seem right .When Nina says she loves him he did not connect with her.Instead Duncan repeats several times I did it for Sawyer,his daughter, He did not want to tell his daughter her would not be coming home.He said he just could not do that. I felt a second series with Ellen Sanders and Duncan Carlise could be in the works .Her husband cheating on her,may have changed her feeling for him permanently.Not all my questions were answered in the season finalie.Afterall,it did not say series finalie . Also, if Duncan Tells the police all the details then does he involve twelling about his brother in law also. And I do not believe Ellen would testify against him anytime soon.She is the who really cared for him.