Hostages: Has the CBS Show Been Cancelled?

Hostages on CBS canceled?CBS has just released details about the two hour finale of Hostages but refer to it as just a “season finale” instead of a “series finale.” Does that mean that the “limited series” is coming back for a second season?

On Hostages, Toni Collette plays Ellen Sanders, a doctor who’s set to perform a fairly rudimentary surgical procedure on the President (James Naughton). When a group of men (led by Dylan McDermott) invade her home and take her family hostage, she’s faced with a lose-lose decision. If she doesn’t cause the President to die on the operating table, the terrorists will kill her family. The cast also includes Rhys Coiro, Billy Brown, Sandrine Holt, Tate Donovan, Quinn Shephard, and Mateus Ward.

The Monday night drama got off to a mediocre start in the ratings, drawing a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.41 million total viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 16% and they’ve essentially kept falling ever since. Last month, it hit a new low with a 1.0 demo rating and 4.5 million viewers.

The network touted Hostages as a “limited series” from the start but, had the show been a success, they surely would have found a way to bring it back in some form.

How? Well, we don’t need to worry about that. Unfortunately for fans of the show, there’s virtually no chance that CBS will bring Hostages back next year. The ratings are just too low.

Hopefully, the producers knew the show won’t be back and have prepared a very satisfying ending.

[Possible Spoiler:] The two-hour season (series) finale airs on January 6th at 9pm. The episodes are titled “Suspicious Minds” and “Endgame” and are described this way: “After Duncan discovers Sandrine’s betrayal, he decides to use her to save Nina and Sawyer. Also, just before Ellen is to operate on the President, the First Lady confronts her and forces Ellen to tell the truth about the assassination plot.”

What do you think? Do you like Hostages? Do you think it should be brought back somehow? Why do you think that more people didn’t tune in?

Miriam December 24, 2013 at 12:25 am

Love Hostages. Hope it will return. I don’t understand the low ratings.

Anonymous December 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I like the show it is an on the edge of your seat thriller I enjoy very much, but I think the time slot was an issue also I would have just loved as a movie. I also really like the actors and actresses. But the plot of the show would be hard to drag out for a long period of time, all things must come to an end.

Cathy Sellers December 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I agree with what everyone is saying, Hostages keeps you on the edge of your seat, very thrilling!!!!!!!

HMA December 23, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Good show up against Blacklist and MNF, but there is always the DVR

Betty Bond December 23, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I really enjoy watching this program and I hope it will not be canceled. Was it not on TV tonight? I couldn’t find it.

Judy December 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Even thought tha plot line is preposterous, I have enjoyed the show – wondering when they were going to pull the loose ends together. In any event, I do enjoy it!

RL December 23, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I really like Hostages. I hate when I enjoy a show and then all of a sudden it is cancelled with no warning. Just like Saving Hope. What is the deal? Get us interested just to let us down?

Deb December 23, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I thought “Under the Dome” was great, & was disappointed when the season ended & was replaced with “Hostages”–until I got TOTALLY enraptured by the brilliance of these writers & actors!! This has got to be THE most suspenseful, hanging-on-the-edge-of-your-seat series I’ve watched in a long time (& I rarely even watch TV!!) My entire family (spread across 4 households & 2 states) gathers to watch this every week, & then we get on the phone & confabulate (“Can you believe what happened??!”) It’s the kind of story that obviously can’t go on forever–so it’s best suited to a single season series like this. But I’m astonished to hear its ratings are so low. (I hear its time slot was placed opposite some tough competition. As others have mentioned, I wish its time placement had been better.) My family & I would like to let the entire production staff know how very much we have appreciated & enjoyed this utterly suspenseful series, with all its astonishing twists & turns. Kudos to all! (Boy, what a letdown tonight–we all eagerly waited all week for the next episode–only to learn there’s no more until the Jan. 6 finale!!) ;-(

jim December 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm

PS hope it does come back.

Kathie December 23, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Bring Hostages back, pleeeeeaaaasssseee!!! I haven’t missed an episode and also DVR’d it too. It was up against some tough competition so maybe a new night would be a good idea. Thus is the first show that wasn’t “reality TV” that I’ve watched and enjoyed in a long time.

Armento December 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm

This is by far the best show on right now!. I’m really enjoying it! I dvr it and cant wait to watch it after I put the kiddos to bed. Please, please bring it back!

Sunny December 23, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yes, I liked it. A group of us liked it very much. It was non-stop thriller/Drama.

Marilyn December 23, 2013 at 7:37 pm

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!! I could not wait for Monday night. Better than the Black List.

Sae December 23, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I love it

vicki December 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I Want Hostages to come back , Monday night football, and it being aired so late at at 10:00 i had to record most of the episodes and watch it the next day I hope they at least finish the episode 14, and 15.