House: FOX Series Ending; No Season Nine

house season nine not happeningAll good things must come to an end and it turns out that eight seasons will be the finish of House. The series finale will air in May.

Creator David Shore and FOX have been discussing the possibility of ending the venerable series for a couple months. The initial plan was to make a decision by the end of 2011, to ensure that Shore and the writers would, if needed, have time to craft a fitting finale.

It was mutually decided to delay the decision and, at January’s Television Critics Association winter press tour, FOX president Kevin Reilly noted that he wasn’t looking forward to making the decision, saying that “it’s hard to imagine the network without House.”

According to Deadline, Shore was feeling like it was creatively time to end the series and he had the support of executive producer Katie Jacobs and star/executive producer Hugh Laurie.

By deciding to end the show now, the network will avoid another round of protracted contract negotiations like last year’s. There was a possibility that NBC, whose sister studio produces House, could take over the series for season nine but NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said that was unlikely given the expense.

Here’s the official press release/statement:

Announcement from HOUSE Executive Producers David Shore, Katie Jacobs and Hugh Laurie

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.

The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.

Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.

But now that time is drawing to a close. The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature; he should never be the last one to leave the party. How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.

The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.

The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste. The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.

Lastly, the audience: some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience. Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way. Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours. The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.

So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years. If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.

Everybody Lies.

STATEMENT FROM KEVIN REILLY, PRESIDENT, ENTERTAINMENT, FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire HOUSE team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry that House is ending? Do you think there should be a ninth season?

fringecraft February 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

What are you doing? Don’t kill the patient! House is the single coolest series ever created of any kind ever! WTF? As House might say, “before you murder the patient, maybe we should consider how many clinic hours this will cost us.” What are the chances that ANY series that takes the place of the greatest series in the history of TV would be as profitable or as loved as this one? If you kill this patient, you all deserve whatever clinic duty Cuddy sticks you with. Man up and treat with Alpha-Terrible. At least there’s a chance the patient might recover. God I love you guys. With all the spam the TV network stabs into our eyes these days, House really is a medical miracle. I hate to see it die. Please make at least one more season–or a thousand…

Sandi S February 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I looked forward to Monday nights because House was on and hated when it was pre-emptied for any other show. I am really disappointed that it is going off.

Joe Bloggs February 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm

House was definitely the best US TV show ever produced, and it is a great shame to see it go.

In my opinion they should perhaps end the show unusually, and leave it open. Why? Well maybe a few years down the line they might choose to bring it back if demand and greats stories are there. I’ve never heard of this done before with the same cast, but I reckon they’d be mad to kill it all off totally.

Joe February 15, 2012 at 11:59 pm

No one seems to have noticed how the letter was signed off…Everyone Lies. Is the show really ending???, or is this a typically unique “House” way of getting more marketing out of the show and keep the name in the headlines.

Ernest Kienzle February 14, 2012 at 3:08 am

Dear Everyone,
Now studying/practicing Zen Buddhism, the spirit of this show is strangely familiar. Are we drawn to this show because we simply “like” it, or do we recognize part of ourselves there? House is a koan, not a puzzle. Do not seek to know, just see.

No beginning no end.

Milu February 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

I love the show, it is the best show ever, unique. And of course I positively think there should be a ninth season.

Dragan February 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

For me personally it is the best tv show ever made, and I’ll miss it. A lot!
I have one proposition.
Do a House MD tv movie with the old crew and this time with happy ending as it should have been.
Your show has been a great gift to me for all these years, and these words are a just pathetic symbol for a great amount of gratitude that I feel.

Sherryl February 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm

This is one of the greatest shows going good right now. There’s so much young and immature kind of “drama” and “comic strips” shows on right now that House was wonderful get away. Would Love to see it stay on with a romantic bloom for Dr. Cuddy,
maybe a “RED CROSS’ Mission project to another country, or how about tackling the Medical insurance nightmares of today…………oH the possibilities are still endless. Please don’t give up “HOUSE” Can you imagine “House” with a Mother Teresa Type…In a Foreign country. House with an Indian Shaman, An Eastern Medicine man, a Rain forest drug, Oh yes keep this wonderful show ALIVE………..Leave the creativity running ………

Andy February 10, 2012 at 11:00 am

Now they just need to get rid of Bones and Fox will be doomed.

Luke February 10, 2012 at 4:20 am

I have mixed feelings about House. I haven’t really watched it very closely the last couple seasons. Well, that’s sort of true. I didn’t keep up with it during the season. But I went back and watched like two full seasons I had missed. But I haven’t kept up with it at all this season. I think Cuddy and 13 leaving were kind of like the final straw for me. I certainly don’t like Foreman in Cuddy’s position. And I don’t like these two new girl doctors. Just like I didn’t like Masters in the last season. Of course the main reason we all watch is House. But it just got to be for a while like it was the same thing over and over again. I think that happens to all shows. At the end of the day, they’re all the same thing over and over again. But most of the time it’s o.k. They mix it up enough that it keeps your interest. Or there’s an overarching story line. But they all somewhere in the middle of their screen lives lose they’re way. Some find they way back and some never do. I’m still not exactly sure House ever found it’s way back. But, I do still enjoy it when I watch it. But now I just don’t feel the need to watch every episode. When it first started, I did. I loved it. Thought it was the greatest thing there was.

So I have nostalgia. I don’t want to see this show that I loved for a few years end. But I’m kind of glad it’s leaving because I think it’s run it’s course and there is nothing they can really come up with anymore. No more twists in the minds of the writers. No more scenarios for the patients. Not just sicknesses, but issues. Like a crazy wife or mother or child or whatever.

It was a good run. No matter my feelings, it’s over. Bye bye House.

Chris February 9, 2012 at 11:25 pm

It’s just not the same anymore, without Dr. Cuddy. Thus, although I will be saddened to see it end officially, it kind of already did.

Mike February 9, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Hate to see it go but you could tell they were struggling to keep the passion and some were just going through the motions. Really enjoyed the series but it was time.

sherry February 9, 2012 at 10:02 pm

House is my favorite program on TV. If I was sick I would want House on my case!
PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

furble February 9, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Agreed the social dynamics are what makes the show great, but what makes you think the medical aspect is a joke?

I asked a friend who is a hospital administrator (similiar to Cuddy) and he said it was quite realistic.

bob February 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm

House was the bomb!
Of course the whole medical aspect is a joke and should be regarded as such.
The only reason it has stayed an enjoyable show to watch are the social dynamics!

Although I’ll miss it, I think they’re making the right decission.
Now lets just wait and see what they come up with to end this show with a bang!