House: FOX Series Ending; No Season Nine

house season nine not happeningAll good things must come to an end and it turns out that eight seasons will be the finish of House. The series finale will air in May.

Creator David Shore and FOX have been discussing the possibility of ending the venerable series for a couple months. The initial plan was to make a decision by the end of 2011, to ensure that Shore and the writers would, if needed, have time to craft a fitting finale.

It was mutually decided to delay the decision and, at January’s Television Critics Association winter press tour, FOX president Kevin Reilly noted that he wasn’t looking forward to making the decision, saying that “it’s hard to imagine the network without House.”

According to Deadline, Shore was feeling like it was creatively time to end the series and he had the support of executive producer Katie Jacobs and star/executive producer Hugh Laurie.

By deciding to end the show now, the network will avoid another round of protracted contract negotiations like last year’s. There was a possibility that NBC, whose sister studio produces House, could take over the series for season nine but NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said that was unlikely given the expense.

Here’s the official press release/statement:

Announcement from HOUSE Executive Producers David Shore, Katie Jacobs and Hugh Laurie

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.

The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.

Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.

But now that time is drawing to a close. The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature; he should never be the last one to leave the party. How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.

The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.

The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste. The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.

Lastly, the audience: some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience. Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way. Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours. The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.

So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years. If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.

Everybody Lies.

STATEMENT FROM KEVIN REILLY, PRESIDENT, ENTERTAINMENT, FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire HOUSE team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry that House is ending? Do you think there should be a ninth season?

Jackie March 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I cannot beleive House will end. Been watching it since the beginning. What’s wrong with you people? There are shows on Fox that should have been cancelled a long time ago. I must say that since Cutty left, it’s not the same and maybe she should come back ????? Whatever you do, please don’t cancell that show!

Shawn March 16, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I’m disappointed that it’s not going to reach 10 seasons like Friends did, but at least they made the eighth season and didn’t just stop at seven. I do hope they make an amazing ending and don’t just leave it with a cliffhanger or something so stupid that it makes me not want to re-watch the show as much anymore. It’d be funny if Chase’s subtle pen trick became the cause for something big to happen in the show as he’s been doing it for so long and so little amount of ppl in the world even notice it. Or at least make mention of it in the bonus features of the dvds.
I had bought the boxset of 5 seasons thinking I would be able to buy the other 5 seasons in another boxset (6-10), but doesn’t look like that will happen, I guess I need to buy the rest individually now.

Doc March 14, 2012 at 9:01 am

This really is the only show on TV worth watching. Why end a good thing!

pam vitale March 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I can not even imagine my week without HOUSE! When it is off season, I watch all the reruns every day.:(

A faithful viewer March 12, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I hate to see it go, but this cast lineup is my least favorite. Of course, I like Taub, Chase and Foreman, but their personalities are different this season. The writing is no longer first class and it’s time to turn off the lights before it gets as shameless as say, House driving a car into Cuddy’s living room!

Farewell to one of the best!

Andre March 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Goodbye House, RIP. I´ll miss it.

Anon March 6, 2012 at 7:32 am

Really enjoyed the show but frankly, it’s time.

Warren March 5, 2012 at 8:52 pm

A gifted man series is what i having been watching since i suspected house was close to finishing so it works pretty good so far i just hope they keep up the series

Warren March 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I sure hope the last episode goes out with a bang …. with house’s original ideas for fun…. or i will be seriously disappointed considering he kept up the pace this good for this long . Other i wish him a good future for Hugh Laurie

Anonymous March 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

disappointed very much hope it goes out with a good bang or i will be disappointed overall since house always liked the bangs

Jeanne February 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I am heart broken over the decision to end House, even though I respect the decision by Mr. Laurie and the entire staff. Nothing lasts forever, but since this is the only show on TV now that makes anyone think about what they are watching, it will be sorely missed. I personally wish the best to everyone involved, say a deeply felt thank you for the ride we have shared, and hope someone in TV can come up with another show that gives credence to human intelligence on the same scale as House. I sadly say goodbye.

Judith February 21, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am broken hearted to read this morning that “House” is ending. It wasn’t a big
surprise because Hugh Laurie pretty much gave it away on Conan’s Show last fall, but I had hoped . . .
Last night’s show (Feb.20) tipped me off that the end was near, and I’m pretty certain now, that I know what is up for House as he finally finds his ever elusive happiness.
NAMI also is losing a “friend,” at least as an avenue for “getting the word out.”
Having read an article about Hugh Laurie years ago in a Sunday paper “Parade” Magazine, I have felt a special affinity for a comrade in the struggle with mental illness.
Also, as one who has lived with sarcoidosis since 1986, I am appreciative that more people now have at least heard of it because it was mentioned in almost every
show’s differential. I’m sure others with weird diseases share my thanks for
this. Having no background in medical “stuff,” I have learned from this show and trust the affirmations from the writers and producers about its accuracy in almost all areas.
I have enjoyed the show so much because for multiple reasons, I identify with House,
although my shell is not as hard. But most especially, I have enjoyed the show
for its intelligence. Very few shows exhibit this level of intelligence and its type
of humor.
The vast majority of people do not understand that above-average intelligence and mental disease, especially depression, can be, and often are, found in the same person. This show did an excellent service by demonstrating this through its complicated lead character.
For so many reasons, the show’s ending is a loss for those of us fans who “got it.”
Lastly, it is one of those rare shows where the cast is a perfect meld.
Farewell, dear friends, you shall be sorely missed. Best of luck to you all. And thank goodness for DVD’s.

Reid February 20, 2012 at 1:11 am

I’ve always loved this show. I hope the series finale is as good as previous season finales. It will live on with me as a fond memory. Thanks

Tim February 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm

House is actually a good show, brilliant by network drama standards (and comparable to cable drama). The writing, direction, and cast are always on their game and seem to really believe in what there doing. Hugh Laurie has always been brilliant. The show often actually deals with real ethical dilemmas, and with the balls to see them through. Still, the show is by it’s nature VERY formulaic. They’ve used creative mix-ups and really strong character dynamics to keep it going, but that stuff seems to be drying up. Really, it’s crazy impressive they’ve kept it going for 8 seasons.

Tibby February 18, 2012 at 12:24 am

Yes I’ll miss it, always was one of the best parts of my week. They should do one more season, and have house and Wilson (Holmes and Watson) finally get it on! It’s absolutely inexcusable that they haven’t done so yet.