House: FOX Series Ending; No Season Nine

house season nine not happeningAll good things must come to an end and it turns out that eight seasons will be the finish of House. The series finale will air in May.

Creator David Shore and FOX have been discussing the possibility of ending the venerable series for a couple months. The initial plan was to make a decision by the end of 2011, to ensure that Shore and the writers would, if needed, have time to craft a fitting finale.

It was mutually decided to delay the decision and, at January’s Television Critics Association winter press tour, FOX president Kevin Reilly noted that he wasn’t looking forward to making the decision, saying that “it’s hard to imagine the network without House.”

According to Deadline, Shore was feeling like it was creatively time to end the series and he had the support of executive producer Katie Jacobs and star/executive producer Hugh Laurie.

By deciding to end the show now, the network will avoid another round of protracted contract negotiations like last year’s. There was a possibility that NBC, whose sister studio produces House, could take over the series for season nine but NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt said that was unlikely given the expense.

Here’s the official press release/statement:

Announcement from HOUSE Executive Producers David Shore, Katie Jacobs and Hugh Laurie

After much deliberation, the producers of House M.D. have decided that this season of the show, the 8th, should be the last. By April this year they will have completed 177 episodes, which is about 175 more than anyone expected back in 2004.

The decision to end the show now, or ever, is a painful one, as it risks putting asunder hundreds of close friendships that have developed over the last eight years – but also because the show itself has been a source of great pride to everyone involved.

Since it began, House has aspired to offer a coherent and satisfying world in which everlasting human questions of ethics and emotion, logic and truth, could be examined, played out, and occasionally answered. This sounds like fancy talk, but it really isn’t. House has, in its time, intrigued audiences around the world in vast numbers, and has shown that there is a strong appetite for television drama that relies on more than prettiness or gun play.

But now that time is drawing to a close. The producers have always imagined House as an enigmatic creature; he should never be the last one to leave the party. How much better to disappear before the music stops, while there is still some promise and mystique in the air.

The producers can never sufficiently express their gratitude to the hundreds of dedicated artists and technicians who have given so generously of their energy and talent to make House the show it has been – and perhaps will continue to be for some time, on one cable network or another.

The makers of House would also like to thank Fox Broadcasting and Universal Television for supporting the show with patience, imagination and large quantities of good taste. The Studio-As-Evil-Adversary is one of the many clichés that House has managed to avoid, and for that the cast and crew are deeply grateful.

Lastly, the audience: some have come and some have gone, obviously. This is to be expected in the life of any show. But over the course of the last eight years, the producers of House have felt immensely honored to be the subject of such close attention by an intelligent, discriminating, humane and thoughtful – not to mention numerous – audience. Even the show’s detractors have been flattering in their way. Making the show has felt like a lively and passionate discussion about as many different subjects as could possibly be raised in 177 hours. The devotion and generosity of our viewers has been marvelous to behold.

So, finally, everyone at House will bid farewell to the audience and to each other with more than a few tears, but also with a deep feeling of gratitude for the grand adventure they have been privileged to enjoy for the last eight years. If the show lives on somewhere, with somebody, as a fond memory, then that is a precious feat, of which we will always be proud.

Everybody Lies.

STATEMENT FROM KEVIN REILLY, PRESIDENT, ENTERTAINMENT, FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY:

While it’s with much regret, and a lump in our throats, we respect the decision Hugh, David and Katie have made. A true original, on the page and amazingly brought to life by Hugh Laurie, there is only one Dr. House. For eight seasons, the entire HOUSE team has given us – and fans around the world – some of the most compelling characters and affecting stories ever seen on television. They have been creatively tenacious and collaborative throughout this incredible run, and they are amongst the most superior talents in the business. For all the above, we wholeheartedly thank them, and the fans who have supported the show.

What do you think? Are you sorry that House is ending? Do you think there should be a ninth season?

Pam May 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I have watched every episode of this show since it premiered. It is a very interesting show with lots of twists and turns and even though you want to hate Dr. House because of his arrogance and bitterness, you always feel a little sorry for him, too. I will miss the show greatly and hope next season’s lineup will include something as interesting as this has been. Having said that, how many cases have been misdiagnosed as “sarcoidosis” over the last 8 years?

Robert May 14, 2012 at 11:51 pm

So sorry that another great tv show is ending. House was one of the best shows ever created. Given the current state of television programming where we’re notrequired to think anymore, with House gone a few more brain cells will die.

Barbara Castillo May 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Please extend this show for at least another 2 seasons! Do not cancel! It would be a great injustice to all of the people that follow this program. It has been one of the few shows that I have truly enjoyed watching and discussing with family and friends.
Dr. House and his staff have been the most interesting people that I have had the privilege of knowing ..(on TV) and trying to understand the amazing human dynamics and how truths are intertwined

Craig Kowald May 14, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I respect the decision to end it now, but I will miss this show tremendously. Hugh Laurie especially, but the whole cast, crew and writing staff is to be commended for producing a colorful, entertaining, and ultimately thought-provoking drama of the highest caliber. It’s usually the BBC that achieves this high level, but Fox hit one out of the park this time.

Christ Christianq May 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I cannot express the disappointment that myself and 22 yr old daughter are feeling right now, hearing that our favorite tv show “House” is going to end. We are in shock that tv’s best tv show is ending. We can never get enough House and would watch it til the end of time and I am positive that so many other fans would as well. There is just no other personality on tv like ‘House’ and we adore him. It would be nice if the writers and such would take into consideration the people who still want House to continue but I don’t see that happening. It sucks to have so many of our favorite tv shows end this year and it’s quite surprising that so many of them have been pulled… i.e. desperate housewives, etc. Thank you for 8 short years of joy, watching Americas favorite character House, the man who everyone loves to hate but can’t help but to love … lol…

Ivan May 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

As alwasys another awesome show gets dropped. House IS one of the best shows ever. With all the money Fox makes they can affored to keep going. Money rules the world!!! House is only a very few shows worth watching on ANY network. Sucks that it is over.

Will C May 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

It was a blow hearing that this show has been dropped, i would really hope fox would reconsider. This show and the character in it have moved many, and took TV series to a whole new level.

I will always be a fan of gregory hourse, chase, 13 and foreman and wish them the best in the rest of their carreers, you can bet i will be keeping an eye on where they move onto next.

Thanks Fox but i dont think any series you come up with now will ever top house, But Best of luck !

sue May 6, 2012 at 6:01 pm

why so they can put more stupid shows like big bang, women have a hundred kids and surviver and mike and molly , kardashians bull guess its time to throw my tv out the window. they done taken ghost whisper off . every time they have a show taht keeps you in suspense POOF its gone im pissed

linda May 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Soooo Sorry to see House end.. Loved Hugh Laurie

Nick April 28, 2012 at 9:51 am

Well, I’m sorry to see House end, but I believe it’s the right decision. Although this season has been good with a great opener the episodes over last few years have often lacked that special quality the earlier shows had.

Following the contract renegotiation’s after season seven and the departure of Lisa Edelstein the show has suffered from a lack of dynamic that was present in the past. But then we’ve had about 120 hours of great drama, wit, comedy and tragedy spanning 177 episodes.

Even though I’m a huge fan I wish it could have finished with House walking along that beach having just crashed his car into Cuddy’s front room – it would have been the perfect enigmatic ending to the show. So I hope they come up with a cracking story for the finale.

For eight seasons we have watched an amazing show. As a Brit, I’ve been a fan of Hugh Laurie for 30 years from his early days in comedy and through his wonderful comedy collaborations and friendship with Stephen Fry.

Laurie’s portrayal of Greg House, (Sherlock Holmes), is one of the best, most unique and most memorable in TV history – and I’ve never thought of him as that slightly silly posh upper class twit he has played so well on British TV. The cast, writing and production values have been superb.

So farewell House and Wilson and Foreman and Chase and all the cast and crew.

And thank you for a great ride.

Nick
London, England

“Treating illness is why we became doctors. Treating patients is actually what makes most doctors miserable.”

You could throw a dart at all the adjectives between “arrogant” and “unhinged” and I’m sure you’d hit one that describes me.

How come God gets credit when anything good happens?

“I always say if you’re going to get shot, do it in a hospital.”

“If you talk to God you’re religious. If God talks to you, you’re psychotic.”

“You always trust me. It’s a big mistake.”

“Like I always say, there’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me,’ though, if you jumble it up.”

“People don’t change. For example, I’m gonna keep on repeating ‘people don’t change.’”

“It’s not Lupus” – “Everybody Lies”

Pat B April 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I am really sad to see this show end. I have watched and enjoyed each and everyone of them. I am in health care and these shows brought saddness, laughter, and good characters . It is sad because with the shows on today they either relate to the younger population and are at best very strange . I wish the producers would reconsider and keep the series going for a little longer.

Brenda April 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I love House and I hate that it is over. I think Fox is crazy for dropping it.

Susan Jackson April 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I love the television show House! As a student hoping to get into the nursing program at Indiana University, I know that many of the things that happen on all of the medical dramas do not often happen in “real life”, however, the shows are close enough to the real thing to be very enjoyable and it really pains me to see yet another one come to an end. Please rethink this decision?

Brian March 25, 2012 at 10:54 am

This is one of the best show’s ever.

I could see that it was heading down this road due to, to many staff changes also a lack of patients in the later episode. The days of the white board, small ball off a wall and insults where the best. Also losing the chemistry with House and Cuddy was a bad move.

There is more room for another session but in doing so I think a change back to session 4-5 would be a better way forward. I love the crazy cutting edge ideas to save life’s and the fact that he has to brake every rule in the book to do it, this is what made house so big but this has been lost in later episodes.

Bring back the old House, also have more road trips with Wilson some of the best episode are with just the to of them.

Thanks for all the shows you all made, I will always be time for a re-watch if you do give up

Thanks
Brian Kelly
Scotland UK
Bye

john March 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm

house is a true inspiration to us all, there should be at lest two more seasons and after 10 go out with a bang to be remembered for all time. This is the best tv show anyone could possibly watch and you could learn a thing or two as well. I hate to see it go.