House of Cards: Netflix New Series; Cancel or Keep It?

house of cards tv showOn Friday, Netflix released their much-hyped original TV series House of Cards. Was it worth the wait? Should they make season two or cancel it now?

Based on a novel by Michael Dobbs and a BBC mini-series, House of Cards revolves around a devious congressman (Kevin Spacey) and his wife (Robin Wright) who’ll stop at nothing to execute his plans to reach higher office.

Others in the cast include Kate Mara, Corey Stoll, Michael Kelly, Kristen Connolly, Constance Zimmer, Sebastian Arcelus, Sandrine Holt, Michael Gill, Dan Ziskie, Sakina Jaffrey, Ben Daniels, Mahershala Ali, and Rachel Brosnahan.

Unlike a traditional network, Netflix released all 13 episodes of House of Cards’ first season at once, so customers can stream them on their own schedule. With DVR usage becoming more and more prevalent, people obviously like this option but it remains to be seen if the strategy will pay off for Netflix’s desire to attract and hold onto new subscribers.

Netflix hasn’t said yet if they consider House of Cards to be a success or not. According to Sandvine, a company that tracks the volume of Internet data usage, Netflix is the largest source of Internet traffic. Sandvine also says that there was no significant change in Netflix traffic this past weekend — meaning there was no spike in viewing when House of Cards became available. It’s unclear if the Super Bowl was taken into account.

Meanwhile, Procera Networks measures web traffic for several of the larger Internet providers. They estimate that 11% of Netflix subscribers that visited the site watched at least one episode of the series.

The first few episodes were, not surprisingly, the most-watched but later episodes were viewed as well. It seems that the last episode of the season was watched by about 28% of the people who watched the first episode. Curiously, more people viewed the 13th installment than watched episodes nine, 10, 11, or 12.

Netflix won’t release new subscriber numbers until its next earnings announcement so we may not know how well House of Cards has been received for awhile. However, Netflix reportedly ordered two seasons up front so either way, it looks like we’ll see a second season.

But, what do you think? Have you seen House of Cards? Did you watch the 13 episodes one at a time, all at once, or some variation in between? Do you want to see more? Should the show be cancelled or are you looking forward to season two?

Jayme Snyder February 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I think one important thing to note is that Netflix, although is real-time streaming, it is not time depandant and it’s patterns are not like a TV. Just because they release a new series, it doesn’t mean I am going to watch more or less Netflix. I might watch it after I am done watching whatever I am watching but if it wasn’t there – plenty more content is available. A launch of a single show that can only be seen on Netflix will not increase Netflix traffic unless Netflix can add new subscribers due to the availability of exclusive content. I don’t think one new series is enough to add subscribers on its own especically when the two seasons can be watched in a few days, any day.

Laceyjane February 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I think they should definitely keep this show going! I loved it! Watched it in about 3 days!!
I loved the music score, too and the beginning video!

Eileen February 8, 2013 at 12:51 pm

This is such an incredible cast and such a spell binding experience! I cannot wait until the next season appears…I so appreciate the brilliant acting by all the cast members. Hats of to everyone who was involved in bring this series to fruition. It is truly brilliant!

PM February 8, 2013 at 12:14 am

Great show can’t wait for season 2

brandon clark February 7, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I watched all 13 episodes in 3 days prefer watching tv shows like this when theres a couple of seasons under the belt so I don’t have to stop watching now I can’t wait to find out what happens one of the better shows ive seen in awhile

debbie February 7, 2013 at 9:43 am

I have watched all 13 episodes yesterday and want the second season NOW……I loved
Kevin……He is ruthless.

Suz February 7, 2013 at 9:37 am

My husband and I watched the entire series over three nights and were hooked. We are only sorry we have to wait so long for the next season. Definitely a keeper. Kevin Spacey and other actors are fantastic!

LynFrim February 6, 2013 at 11:06 pm

No question. Keep the show. We love it- great cast and intriguing story line.

Jill February 6, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Couldn’t stop watching it. Told my daughter about it and she has been glued in her spare time also. Can’t wait for the next season!!!!!!

Ron February 6, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Watched all 13 episodes in 24 hours, on Saturday night. Love it, can’t wait for season 2.

Anthony February 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I’m 6 episodes in and I’m addicted! Definitely keep this show going.

Cdsavage February 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I watched the entire 13 episode series of House Of Cards in two days. Throughly entertained … Often rivited! Outstanding acting, directing, and dialogue. I would “vote” for a second season. Quickly, please! Catherine Savage

Ken February 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

At first I was a bit cautious yet curious, as I rate very highly, the original trilogy, particularly Ian Richardson’s protrayal of the central character and decided to watch the first episode. Too many times we are served poor fare with a remake of such a masterful drama. Much to their credit the casting of Kevin Spacey and his performance in the lead role left no quarter in my mind for any doubt about the quality of this retelling. I found myself eagerly jumping to each following episode and ended up watching them all back to back. The retention of the soliloquy device and the subtle undertones of shakespearian themes were just as delicious;y delivered as they were in the original, particularly in episode 13 where you could be forgiven for thinking you were watching an adaptation of Macbeth. The series worked; I was left hungrily anticipating the next episode after it drew to its’ conclusion.

Bren Martin February 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm

KEEP!!

Paul February 6, 2013 at 5:41 am

House of Cards was amazing. It drew me in from the first episode and had me wanting more like a good book. I watched the entire season over the course of three days and cannot wait for the second season.