Tyler Perry’s House of Payne: Should the TV Series End?

House of Payne series finaleAfter 254 episodes and eight seasons, this evening marks the end of Tyler Perry’s House of Payne TV series on TBS.

In April 2011, the cable channel announced that they were ending the venerable sitcom, in part to make way for Tyler Perry’s For Better or Worse. At that time, we understood the final episode total for House of Payne to be 220 installments.

In late September 2011, Perry posted on his Facebook page that TBS had ordered even more episodes. In December, the cast and crew had a wrap party that celebrated the completion of 254 episodes. We now know that was the last.

The series finale of House of Payne is called “All’s Well” and it caps off a very successful run. In fact, it’s the longest-running sitcom with a predominently African-American cast — surpassing The Cosby Show (201 episodes), Family Matters (215 installments), and The Jeffersons (253 episodes).

Still, it can be hard to say goodbye, even after a very long run. What do you think? Are you sorry to see House of Payne go? Should TBS have ended it? What will you miss?

Canceled and renewed TV show

256 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Tawanna Williams says

Tyler please bring House of Payne back for more episodes. I’ve watched the show since it first aired in 2007. I am so sad because it ended. The last episode left us hanging when Miranda walked out on Calvin. Curtis is so crazy he and Floyd both, that really had me laughing every Friday night.

2. Maya says

Please bring back this show, I’ve been an avid watcher from the very beginning. I love it! I’ve been waiting for the past couple of weeks I didn’t know if the last episode where Miranda asked for a divorce was the season finale or if the finale was coming on 2 weeks later. I had no idea that was suppose to be the last show :(

3. Sheila Hayden says

Watching House of Payne is part of my Friday night wind down ritual. What am I to do now? We need to know what is going to happen to Calvin and Miranda, plus there are so many other story lines that need to be touched on. I hope that something will be done to revive the show.

4. Miss Wendy says

Tyler I loved the show. It hit things not only African-Americans faced but American. I am a lot older and have seen things you wouldnt believe. I think the way Ella based it upon God is real. People do believe God and He is a way maker and bad things keep happening because that is reality. I wanted the show to go on. Tyler to end the show do a movie. I will go. I mean do a real finale in a movie.

5. LaDonna Hall says

I love this show and I feel that it should go on. There are not a lot of black shows on that gives young blacks hope for the future. This show deals with everyday struggles it shows the good as well as the bad. Tyler Perry has done a wonderful job with all his shows because of the real life situations, his shows show a lot of emotions it dosen’t just deal with comedy which is what you see now on television. Please rethink this decision because this is a great show let’s keep this and cut some of the reality shows.

6. Jennifer says

the house of PAIN should have ended after the first episode WTF was TBS thinking putting this HORRIBLE tv show on the air tyler perry is NOT FUNNY

7. angela says

Ok this is the gunter family my husband works hard and we hardly get to spend time as a family but he gets home when the show comes on my husband and our 5year old and 3 year old and I sit down and watch it. It gives us that time we sit there and enjoy the show sharing laughter. We just love the show please don’t cancle wed love to watch it for years wed love for it to continue we love all th characters and love hearing the problems and the happiness the family has. It makes us realize theres family that go through really bad problems just like us and anyother family that we can overcome them like the payne family does. They give inspirations…..

8. The Knox Family says

I have never seen a finale end so sad. This family has had so much bad stuff. Come on Tyler, we need to see more and end on a good note. There are families that don’t have crack heads, shootings, and divorce. I love Curtis and Ella. Give us one more season.

• The Knox Family says

My son and daughter love the show. It is only show we watch as a family, with the exception of Dancing with the Stars. My son LOVES Curtis. TV needs Curtis. Please, please, please. The Knox Family loves the show. Curtis makes us laugh!!!!!!

9. Lori says

Okay its over , well now you can take it to TVLand. Im sure they would love to have it in their line up. Tyler you can’t leave us hanging like this. Please, please come back if only to let us know what happen after everyone found out about Calvin and Miranda.