House: Will Season Eight Be the Last? Hugh Laurie says…

HouseEarlier this week, we reported that House had been renewed for an eighth season on FOX. The announcement came after weeks of negotiations between Universal Media (the TV series’ studio) and the network.

Reportedly, FOX wanted a discount on the per-episode licensing fee. House has declined in the ratings and FOX execs know that the show makes a boatload of cash for the studio in syndication. A new deal was finally reached and the network will pay about $5 million per installment which is approximately the sum that FOX wanted to pay.

New contracts with some of the show’s co-stars also had to be worked out. Hugh Laurie has a three year contract but that will be up at the end of next season which means they’ll have to renegotiate with him if they want a ninth season. He’s apparently tired of spending 10 months a year away from his family and Laurie told the UK’s Radio Times, “The end of (the eighth) season, right now, looks like the end of the show… That is as far as they have got me for.”

Considering how long it took to iron out a financial deal for season eight, a ninth year doesn’t seem very probable. In addition, executive producer David Shore’s contract finishes this season. A new deal is being worked out and Deadline reports that it would see him “return and finish the series.”

What do you think? Will there be a season nine of House or will year eight be the end? Should it end?

vgnorweck January 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm

This team is lousy. Miss 13 alot and she should come back to work, even though we know she is sick, she wasn’t showing any signs yet and if there is only going to be a season or two left it would be nice to have her back on the job. The new mousy girl needs to step up her game or get off the team but that’s up to her personality and the writers. They should offer them a decent amont of money to stay on because the show is great or was before this new team came on. And get house off of house arrest and a new hospital administator someone new and put him back on the team. This year has been rather boring because they aren’t there to banter with each other. I would keep it on and will still watch it but I don’t like it as much. Hugh Is worth watching alone, but he needs people to mess with him.

Engineer January 11, 2012 at 6:48 am

Even if the series are over House will remain because he was invented and won’t die as real persons can.

Simon January 6, 2012 at 7:20 am

I really want the show to go on, as life goes on. If season 8 is different from season 1 or 2, it’s normal. Our lifestyles and surroundings also change. Or should we also die because of this then? House is probably the only character I know that should live forever, I feel him being more than just a character – a friend, and I think geography is a solvable problem.

Luz January 5, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Keep House on for one more season(9). Have House travel/consult,relocate to the UK. I’m not ready to give up my favorite show.

Fern Shaw December 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

I think it’s time to hang up his white coat. The cast has changed and I’m tired of hearing him scream at everyone and take drugs no matter what they do to him. Cut the cord alreadyl.

CR December 30, 2011 at 5:27 am

I loved the early seasons of this show, and though I hate to see it end, it is time. I hate to see this end with a burp like X-files, but the show has run its course.

Brian December 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm

House jumped the shark already. I love the show but it seems the same thing over and over. It had a great run.

Mrs. Nick Mancuso November 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I left a longer comment earlier right before this one and it is not here, may I inquire what I did wrong to make it non existant. It was for exec.’s and Hugh Laurie really. All is true.

Mrs. Nick Mancuso

admin November 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Mrs. Nick Mancuso » We moderate comments for hate speech and SPAM. While your comment wasn’t either of those, it was more than 1,700 words and not relevant to the subject of this post. If you want to get a message to Laurie and the execs, I’d try sending a message through FOX.

Mrs. Nick Mancuso November 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm

SIMPLE, MOVE HIS FAMILY HERE AND HAVE TWO HOMES, MOVIE STARS AND WEALTHY FOLKS DO IT ALL THE TIME. AMERICA IS BETTER ANYWAY.

Anon October 24, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I remember back at the end of season six – can’t remember where, though – that there would be “at least two more seasons”. So I of course expected seven and eight. As much as I love House I understand if it’s time to end it. Being a Brit it would certainly be interesting to have him in his homeland, but I don’t think that’s likely. One episode set over here would be sweet though! The only thing that’s ever bothered me about the show is that the cast is so inconsistent. It really saddened me to see Kal Penn’s character killed off so quickly and with everyone just forgetting about it…

Digital Fruit October 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Personally, I think when a show has gotten to the point of re-imagining, its really time to end it and start a new project. When the creative energy in novel gets thin, or takes a huge turn, most authors just spin it off as a new book. TV series just try and continue on and milk it for all its worth. I would like to see a production company devoted enough to know when the story ends, give it a proper dramatic ending, and start a new show.

Susan Winnie August 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I am commenting concerning Hugh Laurie denying the 9th season. I have a question. Since it is understandable that Hugh, would want to be in England with his family, and House is really my favorite show of quality. Why isn’t it possible to film say a couple of more seasons in England. It might make an interesting new scene for Dr. House. We could see the medical world of that country. It could be written that House and his team, are all offered new positions together in London, to work at a new hospital, interested in cutting edge creative medicine. Just a suggestion, after all House is Hugh Laurie, and it just seems the change would result in and generate alot of interest in the show.

jack August 15, 2011 at 1:19 am

It would be interesting to see the show taken to the UK. It might be something to consider in re-negotiations for season 9, if they pursue. Realistically, however, it’s fair to say there will most likely be a season 9 – ratings have declined – marginally, by comparison to total seasons (last season averaged a little over 10million viewers an episode) – and so this can easily lend itself to the start of a new marketing path in order to improve product placement, lineup, and bump more viewers. Until the total cost outweighs (in an extended front) Syndication revenue, they’ll most likely keep making new seasons (at least through 9), for the sake of the Syndication bump

Elf August 12, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Why don’t they just shoot the show in England? It would add a fresh twist and he could be home with his family! Simple!

Yanta November 10, 2011 at 4:49 am

This show has been killed. The current cast are abysmal. It’s like they wanted the shows ratings to plummet so they had an excuse to kill it.

Stephanie December 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I agree 1000% percent there’s something about the current season that isn’t like how other seasons were. It’s almost like they dont care about the show anymore. The other day I watched an older episode on U.S.A and the a new episode on the DVR and you can tell that something is off with the cast.. IMISSCUDDIE#

CUSH July 15, 2011 at 7:40 am

I understand he miss his family and all but come on I bet he don’t have a problem cashing that check he gets an episode. $$$,$$$