House: Will Season Eight Be the Last? Hugh Laurie says…

HouseEarlier this week, we reported that House had been renewed for an eighth season on FOX. The announcement came after weeks of negotiations between Universal Media (the TV series’ studio) and the network.

Reportedly, FOX wanted a discount on the per-episode licensing fee. House has declined in the ratings and FOX execs know that the show makes a boatload of cash for the studio in syndication. A new deal was finally reached and the network will pay about $5 million per installment which is approximately the sum that FOX wanted to pay.

New contracts with some of the show’s co-stars also had to be worked out. Hugh Laurie has a three year contract but that will be up at the end of next season which means they’ll have to renegotiate with him if they want a ninth season. He’s apparently tired of spending 10 months a year away from his family and Laurie told the UK’s Radio Times, “The end of (the eighth) season, right now, looks like the end of the show… That is as far as they have got me for.”

Considering how long it took to iron out a financial deal for season eight, a ninth year doesn’t seem very probable. In addition, executive producer David Shore’s contract finishes this season. A new deal is being worked out and Deadline reports that it would see him “return and finish the series.”

What do you think? Will there be a season nine of House or will year eight be the end? Should it end?

david August 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm

we need house

Mummy Ninja June 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I hope this is not the end of House. Oh please…. T__T

Julie June 13, 2012 at 7:11 am

i have savoured this show with so much enthusiasm, I watch each series time and time again, never tiring of the wit and banter of the core stars, Hugh Laurie is mind blowing each performance, I would (almost) give my right arm to be blessed with another series, but its kind of bitter sweet when we know it must end sometime, and this series ending has left room for both the romantics, the hopefuls, and the sceptics – to just wonder – I think HOUSE would have loved that torment!! for a moment at least – so BRING HIM BACK!!!!! I’m as selfish as he is:)

dianne May 29, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I think ending it the way they did was a good idea, because now, he can come back anytime as House and start a new series or another year. So killing him would have been a bad thing for the future.

Anonymous May 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I love house we have got to get people to watch it agin

sherrie miranda May 15, 2012 at 12:07 pm

i also think the best way to end the series is to have house die i know as a fan i would be able to have closure that way i know it sounds crazy i have been with them from the beginning thanks to the cast love ya all

Anonymous May 13, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love the show and don’t understand why the ratings have gone down. It’s brilliant! Hope it goes on for a while. L

Carol May 7, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Time to end on a high note. I’d like to see the show end with House and Wilson going out with a Thelma and Loiuse ending.

Gabby March 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

House must go on! I think Cuddy could be brought back as a guest character, why not?

Rufus August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Things went a little pear shaped when Cuddy left.
She was great.
They should bring back House AND Cuddy (and Wilson should have a reprieve too!)

'bastien W February 29, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Don’t let House end. It’s hands down the best show on TV. Monday at 8pm is the only time (other than sundays) that I mark down for TV. Move it to another network if you have to but don’t let it end…move your family if you have to ;)

Leo Rogstad February 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

As a long time fan of the show i have enjoyed every season and was unhappy that the producers didn’t do everything they could to keep CUDDY on board as one of the main characters.I truly think if they had offered Lisa E. enough money that she would have stayed on board for the 8th season and that ratings may have been good enough to bring everyone back for a 9th season.We’ll never know now how things would’ve played out due to the producers being stingy with their money.Foreman was an ok choice to takeover as the dean of medicine,but there could have been a better choice,tho who exactly i’m not sure.Maybe HOUSE’S EX ? The Lawyer?Anyways i understand HUGH has had a rough schedule and doesn’t want to be away from his family too much anymore,but unfortunately the show is built around his character and i think the producers could have spaced out the episodes if needed to allow HUGH more time with his family.Was money really an issue in having a 9th season?I feel like there could’ve been a way to keep the series going,if they truly believed in satisfying us fans.There will never,ever be another medical show like HOUSE and there will never,ever be another Dr on tv like HOUSE,he will always be 1 of a kind and i’ll i’ll truly miss the show.

Babua February 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Yes it should end if he wants it to. He shouldn’t be a prisoner for our entertainment.

T.C. Parker February 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

House was done when they let Cuddy get away. The ratings tanked, the new characters suck, and Foreman being in charge turned me completely off and away. Besides Laurie has been trying to get his album out, move on dude, it’s been fun but it’s time to move on.

Lori January 24, 2012 at 1:34 am

They wasted so much time with the Cuddy/House angle that I grew tired of it and really didn’t pay that much attention to the show for a while, but now that they are back to the original House with the clever banter and Wilson and House being ornery again I would like to see more, but I also understand it must be hard for Mr. Laurie to spend so much time away from family and he is also touring promoting his new cd Let Them Talk, which by the way is outstanding, so I could see him wanting to move on!

skyler January 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm

NO NO NO O NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT CANNOT END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!