How to Rock: Cancelled; No Season Two

Nickelodeon How to Rock TV show canceledNickelodeon has decided to cancel their How To Rock TV series. This is the fourth sitcom that the cable channel has announced is ending — along with Victorious, Bucket & Skinner’s Epic Adventures, and iCarly.

How to Rock revolves around Kacey Simon (Cymphonique Miller), a popular mean girl whose status goes down after she must briefly wear braces and glasses. She’s ignored by her friends so Kacey finds a new way to express herself through music. She becomes the lead singer of a pop/hip-hop band. Others in the cast include Samantha Boscarino, Max Schneider, Lulu Antariksa, Halston Sage, Noah Crawford, and Christopher O’Neal.

The show premiered to a very healthy 3.28 million viewers with a 0.55 rating in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers fell over the course of the season and most recently generated 2.1 million in a 0.3 demo rating.

The news of How To Rock’s cancellation came from executive producer David Israel. In a long post, Israel said that Nickelodeon had decided against ordering a second season.

Nickelodeon ordered 26 installments and there are nine originals left. The next one is set to air on September 22nd and a holiday episode is expected to close out the run on December 8th. Nickelodeon aired a pair of episodes on August 18th and, according to production numbers, those were the final installments to be produced.

Here’s Israel’s message to the cast, crew and fans of How to Rock:

How To Rock The Future

Hey, HTR Fans.

David Israel here. How to Rock’s showrunner and Executive Producer.

There have been rumors swirling around about the future of How To Rock so I thought it time to set the record straight. Nickelodeon has decided, unfortunately, not to give How To Rock a second season. I know this news will be very disappointing for many of you. Believe me, it’s disappointing for me, too.

Why isn’t the show coming back? There’s no one simple answer. Nickelodeon is going through a transition right now. You already know that iCarly and Victorious are not coming back. Nickelodeon has many new shows in production and development that they believe will better suit their audience. While I don’t love their decision, I have no choice other than to accept it. The Nickelodeon executives who’ve worked on the development and production of How to Rock have been incredibly supportive of the show this past year. They’re good people who want nothing more than to make the best shows for their audience. I know it wasn’t an easy decision for them — they truly do like the show — and I’m grateful for the time and energy they’ve put in to make How To Rock as good as it is. Or was.

There is good news. We made 26 episodes. You’ve only seen 17 of them. Meaning — quick, do the math — there are NINE new episodes still to come and Nick will be showing all of them. Seasons of British shows are often 6 episodes. So if you think British right now, you still have a season and half of new How To Rocks. Smashing.

The next episode that will air is “How To Rock a Singing Telegram” on September 22nd. In it, Gravity 5 raises money for the school by performing singing telegrams in several different musical styles (including one like Big Time Rush, which is awesome). At the heart of the episode is a touching story about friendship. I know you’ll all like it. On September 29th, you’ll see “How To Rock a Yearbook” where Gravity 5 tries to get their own yearbook page, just like the Perfs have. The Perfs, of course, are two steps ahead. You’ll also learn why Zander is so secretive about last year’s yearbook from his old school — and why Stevie and Kevin will stop at nothing to uncover the secret.

There are 3 new episodes in October, including “How To Rock a High School Sensation” with special guest star Romeo Miller and “How To Rock a Camping Trip” in which you’ll be shocked which of the gang takes charge after Zander eats some bad berries. The acoustic campfire version of “Only You Can Be You” will melt you.

Our season — and series — will conclude on December 8th with “How To Rock Christmas.” Tremendous episode. Festive, funny, touching… and Kevin and Nelson are dresses as elves.

My biggest regret about How To Rock not getting a 2nd season is that I won’t be going to work everyday with the truly remarkable people who made the show happen. You know the cast and they are all incredibly talented and gracious people. Cymphonique, Samantha, Halston, Lulu, Max, Chris, Noah, Kirk, Jacob and our many guest stars brought the show to life by truly committing themselves to their characters. (Though I’m not sure Chris and Noah were ever really acting — they are that ridiculous.) I will miss our run-throughs and rehearsals and their pre-show rituals that I was fairly close to figuring out. (“Bunny bunny bunny bunny…”) All of them will continue to shine on screens and stages for years to come and I hope they look back at their How To Rock days with pride.

Behind the cast were a team of writers, producers, directors, production staff and a tireless, phenomenal crew who poured their collective hearts and souls into the show to make sure it looked good, sounded good and felt like a show worthy of being on Nickelodeon or any other channel. We never settled for average, always strived for excellence, and I think we hit far more home runs than we struck out. (Sam and Halston, that is a baseball reference. Can explain it to u more privately.)

Thank you, cast and crew, for your hard work and passion. This past year has been the best professional experience of my life. I hope it was as fun and rewarding for you as it was for me.

And then there are you fans. Wow are you people devoted. Especially you Shippers. As this was my first Nickelodeon show, I have never experienced fandom like I’ve seen on How To Rock. I’ve been overwhelmed (and slightly terrified) by your passion for the show and detailed observations of moments that occurred in various episodes. I am truly sorry that the How To Rock storylines won’t be continuing for multiple seasons because I know you would have been following — and complaining — every step of the way. You have no idea how gratifying it is — Chris and Noah, now would be a good time to google “gratifying” — to have the characters you helped create and develop strike such a chord with so many people. I’ve loved reading your comments about the show on Twitter (even those from the fearsome Zevie Nation) and look forward to seeing what you have to say about the final nine episodes. (Except those from the fearsome Zevie Nation).

I did read some comments about Nickelodeon after the Victorious news came out. I know how difficult it can be when some of your favorite shows go away. And I get the frustration. Try to keep in mind that the people at Nick really are trying to serve their audience the best they possibly can. Be open to the new shows that will be coming on in the next several months. They may surprise you.

Thank you, How To Rock Family, for going on this journey with me. I have loved every minute of it (almost) and could not be more proud of this season. Rather than focusing on what we didn’t get to do, let’s focus on all we’ve done. Life’s too short to worry, don’t you know it’s true. Only you can be you, only I can be me.

Rock On.

David

What do you think? Are you sorry that How to Rock has been cancelled? Are you a fan of the TV series?

Neyda July 1, 2014 at 8:22 pm

How to rock is an awesome serie and its not fair that some of us lobe it and some dont I was really wanted to see the 2 season but too bad no ever serie is better than how to rock

Jordan January 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Nicks new shows are WORSE than the old ones. How to rock was awesome. They had funny characters, good music, and it was just fun to watch.

samantha December 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm

i want how to rock back if not im going to delent nick forever how to rock need to come back i need how to rock back

amy June 6, 2013 at 6:50 pm

no they cant end how to rock i love it noooooooooooooooooo

samantha December 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm

danny December 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

fourth show from different channels that i loved are now cancelled :( i wish they would just tell us the pairings that were supposed to happen

Jonas October 28, 2012 at 6:59 am

Jonas

Will September 17, 2012 at 6:17 am

Well,more proof of the decline in great TV shows. How to Rock was one of the best.Great characters.Great music.Great stories.Good ratings…So hey!Let’s get rid of the show!Genius!I don’t know these nickelodeon tv programmers.What I do know is that if they really cared about what their audience liked,How to Rock would still be on the air.I guess these are the same type of programmers who think the Jesrey Shore shows are good TV.A sad day.

jesse September 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

nickelodeon is just stupid for this. it is very irritating

mohamed August 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Reject the cancellation of Icarly and victorious i beg you nickelodeon this will be fair . i love both of these shows very much i just started liking victorious about couple months ago. same thing with icarly i love that show as well. The only two shows are left for me are icarly and victorious. In disney channel there is barely shows to watch.

Anonymous August 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I feel it’s time for iCarly to end. I think that Dan feels that they are running out of ideas and I agree. iCarly has been on long enough.

Michael August 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

Fourth*
It was announced from one of its stars that Bucket and Skinner was also ending

admin August 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

Michael » That’s right. I forgot about that one and have updated the article. Thanks.

Ruban November 16, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Agreed Ed. Sometimes I think that they just tried harder and shows/movies smeeed a lot more original back then. There’s starting to be more creativity with all of the cable networks we have, but the major networks used to have so many more sci-fi, tv action shows: Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Greatest American Hero, A-Team, Knight Rider, Incredible Hulk, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, and on and on and on. Now, most of the written shows (not reality or game shows) are mostly just crime dramas.

Greg August 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thank god! Nick is finally getting rid of all these generic, cheesy live action shows about kids becoming musicians and being famous. All it took was a massive ratings drop and negative responses to these shows to make them realize how low they fallen. “How To Rock” had to be the worse show they’ve ever aired on the channel, even worse than “Bucket and Skinner”. Just another show about music with a laugh track that goes off every few seconds even though nothing funny happened trying to recreate the success of “Hannah Montana”which was an awful show. Hopefully they’ll focus back to quality programming and creator driven cartoons like they did back in the 90′s and early 2000′s. I remember the days when Nickelodeon was a dedicated to kids and not tween girls like Disney Channel has done since “High School Musical”. Though Disney Channel starting to add animated shows to replace the live action ones like “Gravity Falls” (big ratings success) and more to come in the year 2013. Hope Nick cancels “Big Time Rush” too and adds more Nicktoons to their schedule. And if they fire their new President Cyma Zarghami and change the logo back to a splat, I’ll fully regain my faith in Nickelodeon again.

jesse September 3, 2012 at 7:43 am

first of all icarly is haveing two new spinoffs. icarly was cancelled because it has been on long enough. and second of all victorius was one of the highest rated shows and since nickelodeon is haveing a huge transiton and a big change it is fair to cancel it. anyway iot was supposed to be renewed. but i do agree with you about big time rush and disney channel. so that is all. oh wait the second icarly spin off is also a victorious spinoff called sam and cat starring jennete mccurdy and ariana grande. oh how to rock was also another sacrifice nickelodeon had to make during the trasition. just go to this link http://www.nickutopia.com/2012/08/27/nickelodeon-cancels-how-to-rock-after-one-season/

Jeremy Rynek August 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

You know it’s a cold world in the business world when even the kid shows get axed early.

Tha Critic August 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, Nick put quite a few shows on the chopping block.

Andrew August 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’m very upset that how to rock us getting cancelled how to rock was one of my top 5 shows on nick along with BIG TIME RUSH VICTORIOUS ICARLY & BUCKET & SKINNER’S EPIC ADVENTURES I’m upset that B&S didn’t even get to finish the first season well at least Big Time Rush is getting another season

Joe August 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

Wow, first iCarly, then Victorious, and NOW HTR. What’s going on at Nickelodeon? :O