Huge: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled; No Season Two

HugeThere weren’t big ratings for ABC Family’s Huge series so the cable channel has cancelled it after just 10 episodes.

Huge follows a group of seven teenagers who are sent to weight-loss camp with diverse results. The cast includes Nikki Blonsky, Hayley Hasselhoff, Raven Goodwin, Ari Stidham, Ashley Holliday, Harvey Guillen, Stefan Van Ray, Jacob Wysocki, Molly Tarlov, Gina Torres, Zander Eckhouse, Zoe Jarman, and Paul Dooley.

The show debuted to a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic last June with 2.53 million viewers. ABC Family bragged that it was their biggest series launch to date among women 18-49 and second largest in adults 18-49 and women 18-34.

Should Huge have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, the numbers started to fall in week two and slowly kept dropping off. By week eight, Huge hit a series low with a 0.5 rating in the demo and 1.34 million viewers. That represents an audience loss of about 45% since the debut. The last episode of the season attracted just a 0.6 rating and 1.45 million total viewers.

Now, according to Deadline, ABC Family has decided to cancel Huge. Unfortunately for the show’s loyal viewers, there won’t be a second season or a true series finale. The last episode aired on August 30th.

The decision to cancel Huge doesn’t really come as a surprise, especially if you look at the great success that ABC Family has been having with other new shows like Pretty Little Liars and Melissa & Joey.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Huge has been cancelled? Why do you think more people didn’t tune in?

misty June 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I am so upset with abc family….besides the secret life….no other showss can relate to real life like huge did….this country has more than half of its citizens who are over weight…this show motivated us over weight people…it was real to me…who cares about a group of girl liars and vampires and warewolves. That’s not realistic..I know its t.v., but come on this is the times of reality t.v., people are wanting shows they can relate too.

Julie June 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’m fucking pissed. I loved that show. One of the few shows I actually liked. I’m so pissed. They better fucking reconsider.

Jamie June 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

This makes me so mad! I kept waiting and waiting for this show to come back on and now I see this? It is so dissapointing. This show was so beneficial to everyone, obese or not. It showed the struggles they go through and how others’ actions affect them. It was a good family show (what I though ABC FAMILY) was about…and it got cancelled because it didn’t measure up to Pretty Little Liars? I guess I have nothing good to look forward to from ABC this summer. Thanks.

Melody June 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Dang it!!! I’ve been waiting for this to come back on!!! Come on ABC bring it back! I loved it!

Kim June 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I am very upset the show was canceled. I get so sick of seeing shows with nothing skinny girls and people having sex. This show actually had real average people and girls facing real problems. Weight is an issue with teens now a days, but it seems like no one wants to address the issue. Instead we keep making shows with nothing but skinny model like fake people. This does not help the self-esteem of those out there struggling with weight. They finally had a show that girls and even boys who are overweight could relate to and they go and cancel it. It was a truly good family show.I guess it didn’t have enough skinny people and sex for viewers.It seems like that is all tv is now. I am very disappointed.

Ati June 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm

i dont know ehy ABC Family would cancle this show but not Secret Life of the American Teenager which by the way is one of the craziest shows i have ever seen. when i first saw it i was like ok it may be good but tehn i notice that one of the characters is sleeping with their step brother which by the way is gross then there is there is that churchy girl who had sex that one time now she is like oh now im going to hell. like that show degrades tv and it should be taken off the air. Huge stood for something like more people can relate to it more than any other show on that network. and it didnt have taht many vewers because they advertised that show very wrong. i had only seen maybe one or two comercials involving that show but i see comercials for all their other shows like every 5 minutes it seems like. all im saying is that the network should maybe rethink about conceling the show or atleast have the viewers deside weather or not they should seeing it is that we are the ones that in the end make that decision.

Audra Eades June 6, 2011 at 10:23 am

I was searching to find out when the next season of Huge would begin when I discovered that ABC had cancelled it. We have a large ever growing problem in this country ,OUR CHILDREN ARE OVERWEIGHT, or they have eating disorders trying to be like the abnormally thin people on TV and in movies. My daughter and I watched the show together every week. I was an over weight teen and now my daughter, due to health issues, is over weight also. she could really relate to the girls on the show, as I’m sure many over weight girls could. Children can be cruel to others that don’t fit the norm. Why not break the sterotype and keep the show on. It may inspire someone else to work on their weight to. I guess the world will never know just because your network was more interested in the ratings than the benefits that it could have on the teenagers that watched. What kind of message is that sending our children,that because they are over weight they don’t matter? That they are unpleasing to the eye of the network? All I ask is that you rethink the positive aspects of this show and I know If it where to continue it could impact a lot of obese children and teens.

Jacque June 5, 2011 at 11:50 pm

My daughter and I just became aware of a fantastic show called “Huge” by purchasing it on DVD. We truly enjoyed the 10 episodes that we saw, only to learn that it had been cancelled and there was not going to be a second season. I think it is very disappointing that ABC”family” should cancel a terrific show, that is addressing the topic of overweight teens, which is a family, community, and national issue.As for Pretty Little Liars, are there not enough shows on television featuring thin, beautiful people? Why are we so afraid of having a show featuring larger sized, beautiful people? If the American public is so afraid of acknowledging that everyone is not the same size, could ABC family at least give the show a true ending and close all the story lines? Thank You.

Thalia June 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm

You know now and days all the things on tv are perverted and huge was the only one that was clean! plus it was the only show that people could relate to. it gave people the inspiration to exsercise and be who they want to be! pretty little liars isnt even worth a penny! i wish ABC Family could open there eyes and finish season two and make us all happy!!!!!!! thats all we ask…give us an ending!!!!!

megan June 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

POOH! ‘Huge’ was soo good. So good. And now it’s canceled. And now, besides Pretty Little Liars, there will be nothing good to watch on ABC Family this summer. Heck knows I am not watching that show about that girl Chloe or whatever her name is who is supernatural or whatever. I’m so tired of vampires, warewolves, etc. GEEZ. WHY, ABC, WHY!? If not for all the obsessed teenage girls in America, you could have at least let the 1.45 million of us loyal viewers enjoy one more season of ‘Huge’! :/ Oh well.

alanis June 3, 2011 at 1:19 am

I AM SO MAD THAT HUGE WAS CANCELLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEASON ONE WAS GREAT AND I WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO WATCHING SEASON TWO. THEY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST FINISHED SEASON ONE INSTEAD OF LEAVING US HANGING!!!! VERY DISAPOINTED IN ABC FAMILY!!!!

Meredith June 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

I’m very upset that Huge was cancled. It was a great summer show! I also liked that for once ABC Family put a show out there that was a little different. It’s disappointing to see now how all their shows are cliche, non-individualistic, and are quite frankly like every other show on TV now days. Huge will definately be missed

Shannan May 31, 2011 at 8:49 am

People didn’t watch Huge(what I heard from my friends) is that they couldn’t stand to see fat people all the time! Personally, I loved the show and was hoping for a second season to see what happened with George and Amber, but I guess I will never get to know the answer, only unanswered questions floating in my mind! /: even if the show was cancelled the least ABC family could do was have a epilogue or something like that to satisfy not being able to hbe anymore seasons!!

pat May 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

I just did a seach to find out when season2 was starting, only to find out Huge was canceled. Needless to say, I’m really disappointed in ABC Family’s decision as the previews of the show was the only reason I tuned in and continued to watch it. I am a 60 yr old female, have no children, but fell in love with the characters & the premise of the show. Shame on you ABC!

donna May 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm

VERY sorry to see Huge was cancelled. I really looking forward to season two I watched every episode ,as did both my daughters.The message it sent out was very real to life. I enjoyed watching the characters grown. Also rented it when it came out on DVD to watch again. Really hope they reconsider, and at least do season two with a good closure. I’ll be waiting.