Huge: ABC Family TV Show Cancelled; No Season Two

HugeThere weren’t big ratings for ABC Family’s Huge series so the cable channel has cancelled it after just 10 episodes.

Huge follows a group of seven teenagers who are sent to weight-loss camp with diverse results. The cast includes Nikki Blonsky, Hayley Hasselhoff, Raven Goodwin, Ari Stidham, Ashley Holliday, Harvey Guillen, Stefan Van Ray, Jacob Wysocki, Molly Tarlov, Gina Torres, Zander Eckhouse, Zoe Jarman, and Paul Dooley.

The show debuted to a 0.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic last June with 2.53 million viewers. ABC Family bragged that it was their biggest series launch to date among women 18-49 and second largest in adults 18-49 and women 18-34.

Should Huge have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Unfortunately, the numbers started to fall in week two and slowly kept dropping off. By week eight, Huge hit a series low with a 0.5 rating in the demo and 1.34 million viewers. That represents an audience loss of about 45% since the debut. The last episode of the season attracted just a 0.6 rating and 1.45 million total viewers.

Now, according to Deadline, ABC Family has decided to cancel Huge. Unfortunately for the show’s loyal viewers, there won’t be a second season or a true series finale. The last episode aired on August 30th.

The decision to cancel Huge doesn’t really come as a surprise, especially if you look at the great success that ABC Family has been having with other new shows like Pretty Little Liars and Melissa & Joey.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Huge has been cancelled? Why do you think more people didn’t tune in?

samantha December 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

This sucks! I really like this show, man! Being an overweight teen girl myself I felt like I finally had a show I could relate to, unlike all the other “teen” shows that just show skinny unrealistic girls. HUGE showed actual issued faced by teen girls today, and was entertaining at the same time! I would buy 100 TV’s and watch every episode just for them to bring this back! D:

Emily December 4, 2011 at 5:29 am

I’m from England and I found the series online, I’ve been watching all the episodes non-stop and then when I found out that it got cancelled I was mortified. It’s not fair to leave a tv program hanging like that. The characters were so individual and I loved watching them, I feel like I know them and I want to know what happens to them. Please ABC i’m begging you, just give us another season or two so we can finally see what happens and say goodbye to the characters. Huge was a truly fantastic and inspiring show, i’m 13 and I thought it was one of the best shows ever aired. Please bring it back, I’ll find people to watch it.

Stacy December 3, 2011 at 11:22 am

I miss this show so much. It helped inspire me to lose weight (I weigh 179) and I wish it was still on to inspire me more! ABC needs to bring this show back. Me & a million other people miss this show like crazy. It is so much better than seeing plastic barbie dolls getting pregnant at 15 and their boyfriends having sex with other girls. That is such a bad role model for girls my age. I know a lot of my friends love “The Secret Life of a slutty American teenager” and are inspired by it. So sad!This is from a 13 year old. :) ABC PLEASE BRING THIS SHOW BACK!! :(

Ira October 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

And one more thing to directors : If you started the show i which people began to love you can just leave it because of the ratings you should work harder and harder. If people sea that you finish the show without any finishing of it people will be afraid to watch your shows because of knowing that they wont know the end….

Ira October 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I was very disappointed when i discovered that I will not find out how this story will end(((I am from Ukraine and I found this show accidentally. What I wanted to say that this show needs more advertising so that more people could see it and to my mind it needs more spices. I think its a great show its not like others for example about vampires or rich children it is more deep. I even cried 2 times what means that HUGE is a great show. I will show it to my friends and we all will bring it back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stace October 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

If it aired in Canada it would have had better ratings!!! i LOVE this show, and ALOT of other shows that only play in the US, I am truly upset there isnt a second season! I wanna know what happened to Will, Amber, EVERYONE!!! its like i know them now :( too bad….wish it would come back!!

Tricia October 16, 2011 at 9:46 am

I’m upset that the show got canceled too. It showed reality… without having to be a ‘reality show’. This show really hit home with me on many levels… not only am I obese, but the fact they actually showed how badly overweight children are treated not only by peers… but their own families as well. Several times I cried… especially when Willamena spilled out her feelings in that journal. I HOPE that ABC picks it up again next year… or even makes a DVD series… something! Overweight teens need to know they are not alone!!! If something like this aired when I was a teen, I would have begged my parents to send me to “fat camp” so that I could get help. Please ABC, hear us! Put it back on please :(

Jena September 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I am really upset that this show was cancelled. Now we will never know what happenes with everyone. It ended with such a cliff hanger and now all of us will be wondering. I don’t see why it was cancelled with and over 1million views. A lot of people also record shows now like I do. I have been waiting for this series to come back on and now that I know it won’t be I am really mad. It was such a good show and such an inspiration to someone who wants to lose weight like me. It’s more real then half of these other shows and this is coming from a 15 yr old. I think you should defenatly bring the show back. I will get everyone to watch it if I have to.

Evette August 26, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I loved this show, granted I also watch pretty little liers and secret life of an american teenager…it just really bugs me that any series that has big ppl seems to get knocked off. I loved HUGE and Dance your *ss off and both were cancelled….damn the barbie doll ideals in a bic mac society!

Crash Giggles Mouiisee August 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

Really sad its off:( I thought it was a great show! It was real and there isnt anything on tv that can relate to this so its a very big disappointment.

Em July 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I looooved this show. I just don’t understand why people watch secret life it’s storyline is the same thing over and over nothing changes. It’s just idiotic girls who don’t know how to close their legs. While I’m not overweight at all I still enjoy huge way more. Their characters were way more interesting that girls who are so excited to have little babies at sixteen. Disgusting.

Ashley July 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I am very upset that this show has been cancelled. I thought it was funny and with a positive message. I am heavy set, and I really enjoyed watching people I could relate to with the same insecurities as me…not like the stick thin girls on the other shows.

Christiania July 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm

That makes me mad! Make a show about about pregnant teens and the viewers are all over it! But make a show that concentrates on a serious issue thats needs to be addressed and people shut thier eyes and ears. im not saying teen pregnancy should be ignored but its just that we focus more on that then the issue with teen obesity. I want Huge back not just because it was an amazing show but because it addressed issue thats usually ignored.

robin July 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I disagree. i didnt like this show at all and ima thick girl myself. it was ok at first but slowly got boring. it just wasnt intresting and had no suspense. it was simple and predictable. fat kids in fat camp. the bigger kids hating on the smaller girl. and those of you that said it was canceled because people dnt like to see fat people and rather see the smaller girls like in pretty little liars are just being insecure. huge just wasnt good show and couldnt compete. its ethier u have it or u dont. shows like melissa and joey or ravens new show isnt about sex and drama and there ratings are very high. so no its not just about sex and getting knocked up. the new show switched at birth isnt about sex and slutty girls and those ratings are through the roof as well and its in its first season. so please stop being insecure this isnt skinny fat issue its a good show bad show issue. just didnt make the cut.

L July 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I LOVED THIS SHOW AND AGREE WITH ALL OF THE COMMENTS THAT SAY THE REASON WHY IT WAS CANCELED IS B/C IT WAS ABOUT PEOPLE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND NOT ABOUT SEX AND “PERFECT” GIRLS, WHO ARE GORGEOUS… I AM 30 AND WOULD WATCH IT IF IT CAME BACK ON. INSTEAD OF AIRING OLD EPISODES OF SAVED BY THE BELL (I LIKED THAT TOO), OR GROWING PAINS, ETC.. THEY SHOULD OPEN UP A SLOT FOR HUGE!! IT WAS A GREAT SHOW AND I BELIEVE INFLUENCED MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE, WHETHER THEY WERE “HUGE” OR NOT. BRING THE SHOW BACK!!!! WE SHOULD CREATE A PETITION OR A FACEBOOK PAGE AND VOICE OUR OPINION!!! xo