Hung: Cancelled by HBO; No Season Four

HungRay Drecker may be very popular with the ladies but HBO doesn’t want a fourth season of his TV series. The pay-for-view channel has cancelled Hung after 30 episodes and three seasons on the air.

Hung stars Thomas Jane as a struggling Detroit high school baseball coach and divorced father. He resorts to male prostitution to take advantage of his natural “endowments.” The show’s cast includes Jane Adams, Anne Heche, Eddie Jemison, Rebecca Creskoff, Gregg Henry, Charlie Saxton, and Sianoa Smit-McPhee.

This past season, Hung averaged a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.02 million viewers. That’s way down from last season (1.3 in the demo with 2.46 million), which had declined from the 2009 numbers.

The defacto series finale of Hung aired on December 4th and attracted just a 0.4 rating and 930,000 viewers.

HBO has also cancelled Bored to Death and How to Make It in America but has chosen to renew Enlightened, the newest and lowest-rated of the four.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Hung has been cancelled, that there won’t be a fourth season?

Andrew December 21, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Btw, I loved the twins! It contrasted nicely with their beautiful parents. The episode with Anne Heche where overweight women were protesting in front of a gym and they were hostile to Anne Heche because she was slim was great!

Andrew December 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Hung was my favorite show on tv. It is a smart comedy/drama with great performances. I hope it gets picked up by Showtime or another cable channel.

Linda December 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I really enjoyed Hung. I agree this season wasn’t as good as the 1st two, but
it certainly did not deserve to be cancelled. Maybe Showtime can pick
it up???

Alicia December 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I’m a big fan of Hung. Sorry to see it go… might cancel my HBO.

Anonymous January 2, 2012 at 3:36 am

I may cancel mine as well.

Liz December 21, 2011 at 10:20 am

I liked Hung from the beginning and thought it got better and funnier with each episode. Was it a Boardwalk Empire? No, but we enjoyed it just the same and were looking forward to next season. Maybe it wasn’t the highest rated show, but it wasn’t the lowest either, yet the lowest rated was the one HBO decided to keep. Two thumbs down, HBO.

Bethany December 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

Dang! I loved this show, and the last episode was not nearly enough of a finale. The Sopranos was better. HBO is usually such a better judge of good tv than that. I will only truly feel appeased if they replace it with more True Blood. (I understand that Hung is a 1/2 hour and TB is an hour, but I just keep pushing for more episodes per year. he he he) On a serious note, I just wish that they could at least come back with a goodbye movie or something to better wrap the show up. It will be dearly missed.

bingo December 21, 2011 at 2:48 am

I cannot believe they cancelled Hung. I do agree that this last season was way under par, and the stories were so uneven, but that was by far the highest rated show from the four shows. They should have given it another chance, that’s for sure.

Isaura December 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm

This was a funny show, but the second season got a bit ridiculous between the characters of Tanya and Lenore. Tanya was something like a charicature, I really can’t imagine real people behaving like that. This last season was a bit “better” but it was still kinda lame. I like that they gave the show more or less an end, but we’ll never know if Lenore died or not. Not that it matters much. All in all, I’m not too upset about the show being cancelled.

Jarrod December 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm

If they canceled Hung due to low ratings, then I blame HBO. They moved the premiere dates from it’s original airing from June to October. It got well over 2 million more viewers when it ran from June to September. If they had left it, instead of moving it to October to December, where it goes just over 1 million viewers or under, it would have done much better, as it wasn’t competing with all of the Fall shows that air in September/October. Leaving it during the Summer run was the best thing for it. They destroyed the show by moving it.

Kevin December 20, 2011 at 8:48 pm

My wife and I loved Hung. Very clever show with great characters (excepted the weird kids). Sorry to see it go without even a true finale. should have at least given it a final season run like Big Love.

Tha Critic December 20, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I don’t have HBO anymore, but that’s one less filthy show on TV.

Ron December 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

It didn’t even approach filthy, which was part of its problem.

Carlos December 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I watched Hung in it’s first season and it became boring and lame. The kids on this show were lame and homely. The show was called ‘Hung’, but they didn’t show male frontal nudity. However, I am happy to hear HBO cancelled ‘Hung’.

I started watching ‘How To Make It In America’ on Comcast Demand and I was beginning to like this show.

Anonymous December 21, 2011 at 9:24 am

There’s lots of places you can see a naked penis on the internet, Carlos. LOL!!!! omg. LOL ROFLMAO

Watcher December 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Hung was much weaker this season than previous seasons but far superior to most other shows on television. It’s a bit surprising it’s been canceled but it did have a hefty-enough 3-season run. It seems to have run its course. Very happy HBO is keeping faith in Enlightened. It will only get better. It’s enormously well-written and acted. Laura Dern gives by far the best female performance on television this year.

Jeremy Rynek December 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm

They seriously axed the other 3 when they did better than enlightened? Oh what a bunh of BS!!

Dave December 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Well Hung, was ok at first, but I got tired of it. When this season ended I figured I wouldnt bother with next season anyway.

But I really enjoyed Bored to Death. Just a strange quirky show unlike any other on TV. Bummer that one is not coming back.