I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!: Ratings Declining; Cancel It or Keep It?

I'm a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!The remake of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! debuted this week on NBC. The concept began as a UK show and has continued to run there successfully. Season nine is scheduled to begin airing there in November.

ABC tried doing a US version a few years back but cancelled it after one season because of low ratings. Now, NBC execs have decided to try their luck and plan to air the program for 15 nights over the course of four weeks.

The reality show throws a group of so-called celebrities together in the middle of a jungle. Living in the wilderness, they compete in various challenges and tasks and struggle to stay in the game. In the end, it’s the viewers at home who will decide who stays and who goes. The last remaining star will be crowned King or Queen of the Jungle and will win the largest share of the prize money for their charity of choice.

The contestants are Angela V. Shelton, Daniel Baldwin, Frances Callier, Janice Dickinson, John Salley, Lou Diamond Phillips, Patti Blagojevich, Sanjaya Malakar, Stephen Baldwin, Torrie Wilson, Heidi Pratt, and Spencer Pratt. The hosts are former UK competitor Myleene Klass and MTV’s Damien Fahey.

Should I'm a Celebrity be cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The show got off to a bang on Tuesday night with Spencer Pratt in full diva mode. In terms of ratings, the reality series got off to a decent start. The debut attracted 6.45 million viewers and a 2.6/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. That put the program in second place in overall viewership and tied for first place in the demo.

Though you might expect that the show might start to generate some watercooler talk after Pratt’s tantrums, nearly a million fewer people returned for the second night. Only 5.54 watched the night two with a 2.2/7 in the demo. That’s half as many total viewers as competitor NCIS but it won the timeslot in the all-important 18-49 demo.

Last night, things got even worse with an audience of just 4.79 million and a 1.8/6. That put I’m a Celebrity in a distant third place for total viewers and in the demo.

There had been talk that NBC was considering extending the show for another week but it seems hard to believe that they still want to do that considering this downward trend. If the ratings go much lower, will they even want to finish the competition? Either way, it doesn’t look like I’m a Celebrity will be back next season.

What do you think? Is the show worth keeping or should it be cancelled already?

Anonymous June 18, 2009 at 1:29 pm

i think this show should stay! It may be kinda dumb, but it is for a good cause. Just think of how many people these celebrities will help! The first time I saw it, I thought it was stupid, and I thought it was so stupid, that I would watch it every night, then I became to like it. These people are kind people, just trying to make a difference and to have some fun! there is alot of emotion and relationships on this show, and should keep running!

jenny June 17, 2009 at 5:12 pm

This is some bull get all of the out of there misery. I’m so tired of the reality shows. Yall take good shows like ” THE GAME” and put crap like this on TV.

ND Mitchell June 10, 2009 at 7:39 am

I think this show should be called Celebrity Survivor and play the game with host Jeff Probst. This is a good summer reality show and just leave it as a summer reality show, too, like Big Brother. Move it to CBS and there’s a winner! I like it but it reminds me of Survivor except America votes on who stays and who goes…America is usually wrong when it comes to voting just look at American Idol. For the past few seasons, America has voted wrong! I think Sunjaya or Lou Diamond will win!

John Flanders June 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Watched for 15 minutes and turned it off. The worst television I have ever seen

Tim June 7, 2009 at 6:08 pm

All of this reality crap sucks it big time. I am just amazed that there is any audience at all for this garbage.

robycop3 June 6, 2009 at 6:36 pm

As I said before, ABC was stupid for resurrecting a FAILED SHOW from the trash pile. It stunk in its first incarnation & it stinx in nthis one.

The number of viewers in the key demo was up mostly outta curiosity. Now that the novelty is over, “reality’ sets in & nobody wants to watch it any more.

Another thing I said earlier, and I still stick with…Sure am glad those paragons of erudition, the Ostroff wannabees, the suits at ABC don’t do my tax returns nor represent me in court!

spencer June 6, 2009 at 3:25 pm

the thing is if you are going to do a show about celebrities having to “survive” at least put celebrities in it. Speidi, Sanjaya, Patte Blagoyovich etc. are not celebrities. At least put in d-list celebrities instead of z-list.

marly June 6, 2009 at 5:21 am

i guess celebrities with any real status wouldn’t need to do a show like this. i’m so tired of reality shows. let’s just set up lawn chairs in front of our neighbors houses and sit and watch them. losing weight is a hard thing to do, and admirable but i don’t want to watch it for entertainment, or watch a household full of kids, come on, on we so numb we’ll watch anything? what about the traffic light change? give us something entertaining please!

Tom June 5, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I was on the fence but after Thursdays show and the thought of Spencer coming back was it for me. Someone needs to take that A#$H%@& out in the jungle and beat the crap out of him. He is without a doubt the most disrespectful little punk I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t watch anything he’s had anything to do with…

NYC June 5, 2009 at 8:04 pm

the UK gets that it has to be entertaining. Which is why Big Brother & Celeb Outta Here has done so well. While us lazy americans just sit around staring at each other. Even NBC adding Speidi to stir up the pot hasn’t done too much.

A man named GOB June 5, 2009 at 2:06 pm

…and BTW the episode I DVR’ed and watched the morning was nothing but showing the “celebrities” (most weren’t celebs just been on TV for something) sitting around with Dickinson spitting all over the place. Sign me up for more episodes that, no thanks. The whole premise of the show was shaky at best minus the boring contest5ants they have on it. They’d have been better off with regular public doing the stuff given the “celebrities” they aquired.

A man named GOB June 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm

As long as Janice Dickinson is on it figure most people will tune out this show. She is nothing but annoying and makes watching it a real downer. It’s not even good annoying to where it makes it interesting to see who will knock her lights out first to shut her up. She does the same old shit on every show she’s on and it’s as old as she is and everybodies sick of seeing her. She’s done get rid of her and don’t ever use her in a TV program ever again, she’s a hasbeen that doesn’t know it and hasn’t known it for years.

Clara June 5, 2009 at 1:09 pm

The only reason I started watching this show was because Sanjaya is on. I will watch as long as he is on. Then I am gone.

Travis June 5, 2009 at 10:50 am

Now that Heidi and Spencer are off, this show has the potential to be a lot better. I am still undecided on this show, they have some great people, but the focus seems to be more on the annoying ones.

Lisa June 5, 2009 at 5:22 am

I watched part of the first episode. I couldn’t take it. Seems a lot of extra camera and interview time was devoted to Spencer and Heidi, a man you can’t help hating and a uniquely naive woman you tend to feel very sorry for if her total lack of common sense is to be believed. Is anybody that angry all of the time? Does anybody really find Spencer to be that intimidating? I watched for an hour, saw nothing challenging, other than having to listen to Spencer’s rants and the personal interviews, and decided enough was enough. There’s no way the show can get better, and with NBC threatening to run this garbage four nights a week, I find myself turning to ancient DVDs I haven’t watched in years. Only a sadis t could find this show entertaining. I know! Cancel it and replace it with Law & Order SVU. Because that’s what I feel like after watching just part of this horrible show – a victim.