In Plain Sight: Episode Order Cut, Headed for Cancellation?

In Plain SightUSA Network’s In Plain Sight TV show recently had its episode order cut from 16 to 13 installments. Is this a sign that the series is headed for the TV graveyard after three seasons?

Not necessarily. It turns out that In Plain Sight will wrap season three early for another reason. The Futon Critic was told by Universal Cable Productions, “John McNamara, executive producer and showrunner of USA Network’s In Plain Sight, took a leave of absence for medical reasons… John Romano assumed executive producer responsibilities for the remaining episodes. Given the unexpected change, we decided to end the season at a natural spot — with the surprising cliffhanger of episode 13.”

Season three will finish airing on Wednesday, June 30th. In Plain Sight hasn’t been renewed for a fourth season yet and isn’t necessarily looking like a lock either.

Last season reportedly averaged 4.08 million viewers but recent episodes have been attracting less than three million viewers. That’s certainly not a good indicator for renewal.

What do you think? Should In Plain Sight be renewed for season four or cancelled?

Nicole May 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love the show!!!!!!! But of course it figures that if I like it they will cancel it, like so many in the past. The USA Network is my favorite station to watch but with some of the shows that are adding to replace the good one they are canceling they are quickly losing my interest. I really think that someone needs to put some more thought into canceling this show before the wonderful actors get new jobs (and they will!). But if they still cancel it forever I will follow the actors not the Network.

linda May 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

PLEASE RENEW…..I LOVE THIS SHOW. REFRESHING, THAT IS NOT
ANOTHER LAWYER SHOW. PLEASE DON’T CANCEL IT!!! BEST CAST
EVER.

frannie May 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!,I JUST CAN’T BELIEVE THIS SHOW MIGHT BE CANCELED,TAKE A POLE ON SOME OF THE OTHER SHOWS THAT SUCK,DON’T WANT TO SAY WHICH ONES,BUT I CAN GUESS ALOT OF THE VIEWERS KNOW WHICH ONES I MEAN,SO PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL,A FAITHFULL VIEWER

Pam May 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

Like so many excellent drama’s on TV, programming is key. In Plain Site was competing against mainstays on other networks (ie ABC/CBS/NBC who were also playing the “best show against best show on another station” in same timeslot). Many times I watched the mainstays hoping I could find another airing of IPS. It didn’t help that IPS began at the end of the network season. A single showing between May 1 and Sept 30 once a year would have been optimal. But of course, it is always low viewership numbers that justify the means . IPS writing was one of m very favorites because Mary was allowed to do her job (in her own way) with support from Marshall and Stan. They did not desert her for corporate America. Thanks for that. Wish you would reconsider renewing, but we all know how that will work out.

James May 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

Plz don’t cancel this show my wife and i love it . It a good enjoyable store line with great actors . DON’T CANCEL PLEASE

Pat Finn May 4, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I agree with writer “S”- I’ve been ranting re: the same emotion. Why leave “Psych” on & cancel IPS? IPS’s writing, acting, dialogue, themes, story lines are all far superior to those of “Psych.” I enjoyed “Psych” when it first appeared on air. But the reparte between Sean & Gus was noticably dumbed down, which is a sad commentary on our society. I became bored with “Psych” in the middle of the 2nd season because it indeed became insipid, banal, etc. Contributor Dee Redwine presents a strong, valid point re: many people dvr-ing the programs, so an accurate audience count is most likely not possible. The new USA show “Common Law” appears idiotic. I doubt I’ll watch it. USA/NBC is making the same mistake here as it did with the prestigious Law & Order series. I am hardly comparing a 20 season T.V. miracle w/a 4 season show; it just appears very good shows with excellent writing & acting are rarities. My husband, 2 adult children & my 79 yr. old Mother all agree. Bring “IPS” back!

Colleen Dummitt May 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I have enjoyed every episode of In Plain Sight and am dismayed to learn that it will not be renewed. The show has an excellent cast and story line while many others shows lack both. Please reconsider this decision and schedule another season for those of us who appreciate good acting and story lines.

Yoshi May 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Love the show. Hate to see it go. USA made a bad choice like so many other chanels does.

B. May 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Please renew! DO NOT CANCEL this show, my husband and I both love it. Mary and Marshall do a great job.. Again PLEASE RENEW IT!!!

S April 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

So very irritated at USA’s decision here. Yet the insipid Psych continues – inspid being the key word here.
Ugh- bad decision, USA TV, bad decision.

jp April 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

love the show. not sure if i will watch the other usa shows. i like ips that much…

Dee Redwine April 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I sure hope in plain sight comes back. We love this show. What alot of these stations dont take into consideration is we all have dvrs now and tape the shows to watch later. I’d bet there alot more viewers than they think. Maybe another time slot would help .

Tony April 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

This is a great show, so sorry to see it being ended

Cindy April 28, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I do not think it should be cancelled at all. It is one of my families favorite shows. We all love the show!

dolly waters April 28, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My husband and I have very diverse interests, especially when it comes to watching TV. The only show we watch together is InPlain Sight. Mary’s character is so quick witted, there is no one else on TV that can hold a candle to her. Mary and Marshall are the best together.. You really don’t want to break up a 43 year marriage by cancelling the series leaving my husband and I without anything in common.

kathy April 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Please leave this wonderful show on.