In Treatment: HBO TV Series Cancelled; No Season Four, But…

In Treatment canceledIt looks like the doctor is out — for now. HBO has cancelled In Treatment after the seasons on the air but may be interested in keeping the series going in another form.

Starring Gabriel Byrne as Dr. Paul Weston, In Treatment first aired in January 2008 and ran five nights a week. That didn’t perform as well as expected so it was reduced to two episodes twice a week for seasons two and three. While In Treatment has been a favorite with some critics, the ratings haven’t kept up. The season three finale, which aired in December, attracted just 253,000 viewers.

Byrne noted that the role was quite demanding in that it required him to memorize large amounts of dialogue in a short amount of time. He was nominated for two Emmy Awards and appeared in all 121 episodes of the series. Dianne Wiest won a supporting actress Emmy and Glynn Turman won in the guest actor category. In 2009, In Treatment won the WGA Award for best new series.

Though In Treatment may be done as a regular series, HBO is interested in a new incarnation. A statement from HBO states, “It’s true that we have no plans to continue with In Treatment as previously formatted. However, we are in continued conversations with the executive producers to find another way to continue telling these rich stories.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a fourth season of In Treatment? Would you like to see it continue in another form?

Canceled and renewed TV show

200 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Mindy says

I just discovered this series on demand and I am thoroughly enjoying season 1. I don’t know how I missed it on HBO the first time around. Although, I had just had my second child at the time so that’s probably how I missed it. I’m so sad that there are only 3 seasons, and it looks like no resolution to the series–no series finale? I wish they would bring it back, but so much time has passed now that it seems very unlikely that they will. There are so few shows that have such real characters, thought-provoking content, intelligent dialogue, wonderful acting–it’s the complete package in my book. I will hold out hope that it will be brought back somehow in some form. There is so much garbage on tv, it’s so sad when truly great shows are canceled.

2. Diane Bila says

I watched season one of IN TREATMENT on Netflix. Liked it so much I bought season 2 season 3 on DVD for my home use. I hope you can continue the show in season 4 or some other way. I enjoyed the episodes very much.

3. James Clark says

I found this series in October, and have now gone all the way through to the last 2 episodes of Season 3. It is very difficult to part with the characters every year, and now the series is no more? Really disturbing , I have shared my love and admiration of the show with many professional friends. As others have said, IN TREATMENT is of the highest quality, and it is hard to accept that it is totally over. Intelligent television is so difficult to come by, let others be fascinated by cheap thrills and voyeuristic reality series. This drama makes one think, feel and question and the acting is so very fine.

I am a Substance Abuse/mental health Counselor now working in an outpatient setting at a hospital. In private practice, I am a mind body integration therapist who has a small practice designed to support people in their personal growth. The dynamics are very different and the clients motivations are as well. The dialogue , client characterizations, and fine points of clinical dynamics in the show have helped me and seem to provide a backdrop to realize the importance of the work that Paul Weston does, seems sometimes mis understood, ineffective and filled with all too human foibles, yet I know, like Sunil that he is a good man. This show has really gotten to me. I hope HBO can bring it back in some form

4. Brooklyn says

So wish there were more! Just finished season three on HBO Go. So sad not to see more. Great story telling and a fabulous time getting a minute out of the rut to relax and get sucked into something healthily destracting. So good. Come on HBO! You gotta do something! We were all worried about the great depression and the housing bubble when this was on! Give it back esp for us late bloomers who found it just recently!

5. Jamia Hil says

I recently discovered this series via Amazon prime. After avidly watching the first season, I invested about $40 in purchasing seasons 2 and 3. Since they were not offered via Amazon Prime, that was the only way I could keep watching. I’d think that knowing that viewers are so attached to this show that they are willing to PAY to keep watching would help convince producers at HBO that this series has a future and should be revived. I hope so. Perhaps in the style of Netflix’s Orange is the New Black, where the season is produced and released in its entirety rather than expecting viewers to tune in at network-determined intervals to keep abreast of the stories.

6. says

As a psychotherapist myself, I have some very real answers about how to revive Paul and this series–that would involve a far more personal approach to therapy. That, after all, is what he is searching for. The Psychoanalytic approach simply no longer serves him. I believe his instincts are correct. Not having been nurtured and supported within his family of origin, he is dissociated from himself, if not from his clients. Rather than see this as pathological–a blurring of boundaries–as Adele says, let’s follow that instinct and let Paul find a more nurturing approach to therapy. First, with his own therapy, and secondarily, with his clients. And given Season 3’s ending, it looks like Adele longs for that, too.

7. Manny says

I am finishing up season three and decided to see when season four would be out. Then I found out it wouldn’t. Disappointing.

When watching the series, I felt identification with problems or situations presented by various characters. I felt as though I got to know these people and cared for the them. All the credit to the writers and actors.

I’ll miss the series.

8. Wanda Brown says

Love this show. Totally enjoy it and I am so disappointed it has been cancelled. Love all the different characters and how their personalities develop over the weeks. Please bring it back!

9. Marge says

Just finished season three and disappointed it was cancelled. Gabriel Byrne has always been a favorite and enjoyed his superb performance. Would definitely be interested in some continuation of the series.

10. Helena Renberg says

Just re-watching the seasons of In Treatment with my daughter and realise how well-made and well acted a programme this is. Just found out that a fourth season was cancelled. What a shame that more people never discovered this brilliant series! Hope there still is some (hope) for a fourth season..!

11. says

Yes I am sorry it was cancelled. It is amazing how society would degrade themselves watching trash like true blood and fake reality shows. It just shows how people would rather escape from reality and watch sex and creatures. Its sad.

12. Mike says

I love this show, sorry to find out it was cancelled. I still have about the last 1/2 of season 2 and season 3 to watch.

13. karl chester says

I have been entranced throughout this series, and would very much be in favor of a continuation in some form.

14. Kim Howard says

I absolutely love this series and am sorry to see it come to an end! My husband loves it as well and we have enjoyed watching and knowing the characters as well as “Paul”…the brilliant, devoted, and flawed therapist of this interesting, thought-provoking series. We are strongly in support of a continuation of the series, or a new incarnation of In Treatment. We will be waiting and watching!! By the way, Gabriel Bryne is perfect in this role!

15. Kitty DeHaan says

I miss this show SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!! I have never felt so connected to a one on one show before. The acting and concept is truly amazing. Please please please bring it back!! (With more teenagers)

• Beth Thiffault says

I have only gotten into this wonderful series in the past month after joining Amazon Prime to get it on my iPad. I LOVE it, but wouldn’t have wanted to have to have to tune in several nights a week to see it. Sure hope they decide to continue it in an easier format, for the viewers AND for Gabriel Byrnne. He is a terrific actor, and I’ve been so impressed with all the individual characters in the roles of patients. I don’t get HBO unfortunately, so this is the only way I can see it – on line. PLEASE don’t drop it completely. Thanks.