Intelligence: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Intelligence: canceled or renewed?CBS kept Hostages on the air even though it became obvious that it was doomed to be cancelled after one season. How has Intelligence fared? Will it suffer the same fate or will it be renewed for a second season instead?

On Intelligence, Gabriel Vaughn (Josh Holloway) is a high-tech intelligence operative who’s been enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. It allows him to be connected directly into the global information grid. Other castmembers include Marg Helgenberger, Meghan Ory, Michael Rady, John Billingsley, P. J. Byrne, Tomas Arana, Lance Reddick, and Peter Coyote.

Debuting on a Tuesday night in January, sandwiched between NCIS and Person of Interest, Intelligence’s first episode drew a very healthy 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 16.49 million viewers.

Unfortunately, most of those viewers didn’t return for the second episode the following Monday. That attracted just a 1.2 in the demo with 6.2 million, a decline of more than 50%.

The numbers have risen and fallen since then but have generally been moving downward. Last week’s episode tied a series low in the demo and hit a new low in viewership. Looking at the averages, it’s also the lowest-rated show currently on the network (aside from Saturday night’s 48 Hours).

Like Hostages before it, it’s clear that Intelligence won’t be back for a second season. The ratings are just too low. CBS recently renewed most of their primetime shows for next season. Intelligence was one of the few that were missing from that list.

At this point, we can hope that the producers finished the 13 episodes in a satisfying way.

But, what do you think? Do you like Intelligence? If you were running the network, would you renew it or cancel it to make way for something else?

354 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. says

CBS has a huge problem, I had watched CBS 90% of the time. Then it went down to one show THE CRAZY ONES now cancelled never given a chance. I am going to leave CBS after THE CRAZY ONES FINALE!!!

2. Baylady says

I think Intelligence deserves another chance/season. It’s a well written show and the characters are great. Maybe try another slot…?

3. says

WOW !………did not see this one coming. I can not believe CBS wants to cancel one of the best TV shows on TV. Every episode of Intelligence has left me on the edge of my seat. Now I know that me writing a few words of my displeasure will not change the minds of the Corporate Brass, but I’ve got to say, you guys are throwing away a great show. Here’s an idea, Friday nights lineup should be Hawaii 5-0 @ 8:pm EST, Blue Bloods @ 9:00 pm E.S.T and Intelligence @ 10:00 pm. It’s a no-brainer. I wish the people that were making the hard decisions could see my post. I know they are just Lost words. GodSpeed Intelligence………..you will be missed !!!!!!!

4. Rose says

They can go ahead and cancel it as far as I’m concerned. Didn’t like him on Lost and didn’t like Marge on CSI. But I agree w/Dan Uff… they SHOULD cancel 2 1/2 men!

5. Dan Uff says

Remember people, this is a network that renewed “no content” shows such as “The Crazy Ones” and gave (the once funny) “Two 1/2 Men” another season. Do you really think they would be intelligent enough to renew a good show such as Intelligence? (pun intended!)

Yes Hostages did stink at first but I liked it, and it had potential.

6. laura says

Would renew for second season, why they put in same time slot as castle is crazy that was and established SHOW for two or three yrs before.
    Come on CBS use.your brains put in a great time slit, the show is terrific but the cbs executives are idiots.
    Bring back a good show that makes us forget our problems ,who the hell wants to see reality when O live reality.
    Bring back for second season!!#

7. Stephanie says

I enjoy watching Intelligence…and I would renew it. Maybe put it on another night that does not much competition. Intelligence is unique and I like the plots and the idea of a guy who has a chip who can do the things that Gabriel can do. It is different than the rest of the crime dramas out there. Hope it is renewed, but if it is not….I won’t be heartbroken. I will be disappointed but that is the life of a show. But I hope it is renewed.

8. Marie Lewis says

I don’t see why the show should be cancelled. People watch it live, later or buy it on iTunes. The fans are there.

9. Redmond says

I would definitely give the show another season, but I would stress to the showrunners that they need to step up their game. ‘The Rescue’ and ‘Cain & Gabriel’ (and to a lesser extent, ‘Athens’) proved that the show is capable of delivering great episodes. But other than that, most of the episodes have just been above average.
    Also, I think they need to develop a larger story, which hasn’t really picked up so far. The first two episodes seemed to be building towards something, but it’s almost been completely dropped since. The procedural format simply is doing more harm than good at this point. But I hate to see a show get tossed aside, before it’s had a real chance to blossom. Maybe they actually have something really special in store for us.

10. Ana says

I from Portugal an love “Intelligente”. I hope that the number of viwers from other countrys can count for CBS. They have to renew this show.

11. Colin says

I was intrigued by this show when it first came on air because it was based on a book called Phoenix Island by John Dixon, which I read and really loved (but for whatever reason, the actual concept of the show has deviated FAR, FAR away from the original book concept).
    I can tell you now, I watched the pilot and was not impressed. At all. While I appreciated the production values and the somewhat charming and charismatic cast, I thought it was horribly cliche, horribly acted and horribly written overall. Another favourite spy-fi/action show of mine, Nikita, had just ended with a short (but phenomenal) fourth season and watching this was like a spit to the genre’s face.
    That being said, I DID feel that the show improved significantly as the first season went on. I hung onto it because I felt that it had the potential to be something great. And it really has improved.
    That’s not to say that the show doesn’t still have it’s fair share of eye-rolling, unbelievable moments. It’s still very cheesy, cliche and unbelievably predictable at times. The writer’s need to step up their game and I’m willing to give them the chance to do so…. if only the CBS would give them a chance to.
    All in all, I’m keeping this show on a short leash. I definitely won’t be devastated to see it go, but I WILL be a little sad to see a show that had so much potential was cancelled before it had the chance to really shine.