Intelligence: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Intelligence: canceled or renewed?CBS kept Hostages on the air even though it became obvious that it was doomed to be cancelled after one season. How has Intelligence fared? Will it suffer the same fate or will it be renewed for a second season instead?

On Intelligence, Gabriel Vaughn (Josh Holloway) is a high-tech intelligence operative who’s been enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. It allows him to be connected directly into the global information grid. Other castmembers include Marg Helgenberger, Meghan Ory, Michael Rady, John Billingsley, P. J. Byrne, Tomas Arana, Lance Reddick, and Peter Coyote.

Debuting on a Tuesday night in January, sandwiched between NCIS and Person of Interest, Intelligence’s first episode drew a very healthy 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 16.49 million viewers.

Unfortunately, most of those viewers didn’t return for the second episode the following Monday. That attracted just a 1.2 in the demo with 6.2 million, a decline of more than 50%.

The numbers have risen and fallen since then but have generally been moving downward. Last week’s episode tied a series low in the demo and hit a new low in viewership. Looking at the averages, it’s also the lowest-rated show currently on the network (aside from Saturday night’s 48 Hours).

Like Hostages before it, it’s clear that Intelligence won’t be back for a second season. The ratings are just too low. CBS recently renewed most of their primetime shows for next season. Intelligence was one of the few that were missing from that list.

At this point, we can hope that the producers finished the 13 episodes in a satisfying way.

But, what do you think? Do you like Intelligence? If you were running the network, would you renew it or cancel it to make way for something else?

353 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. vp44 says

I, hope CBS will change it’s mind and keep it on the air. It is a very good show and the cast is great. I agreed with the cancellation of Hostages, it was a STUPID show, but I love this show come on CBS you cancelled Unforgettable, but then you gave it another chance and now it is in your mid season or summer line up. Please give it another very deserving chance, it will pay-off.

2. Kayla says

I LOVE Intelligence! I just hate the time slot it’s at the same time as castle n that is totally uncool! I think they should give Intelligence another season and change the time slot and the day!

3. Cloud9 says

I tried to like this show but it’s really too stupid at times (that title was a risky move… & now it’s an easy joke), the writing is AWFULl & simplist, & the acting is… ahem, to put it gently, especially with these dialogs… sigh… I’ll watch it to the end (hopefully for a story resolution vaguely satisfying) but the cancellation will be a relief. I watched for Marg H & John Billingsley, but IMO, along with the very bland leads, they really aren’t good in this, sadly…

4. Why Watch says

I’ve seen far better shows, the pilot for this was laughable. While I think Marg Helgenberger is a good actress, this role is not good for her. But the problem is Josh Holloway. He is not lead actor material. He was not good on ‘Lost’ and he looks lost on this show.

5. Jaime says

I sincerely hope they renew intelligence. Its a wonderful show with an outstanding cast. Please don’t cacell my favorite show!!!

6. Travis says

Hang on to Intelligence for another season. The show can really grow still. I have a feeling you haven’t even scratched the surface of possibilities.

7. Michele says

I love Intelligence! I’ve watched it faithfully from my computer and have really enjoyed it! Please renew it for another season…give it a chance to grow an audience!

8. lainie k says

I hope that CBS reads this and give Intelligence a 2nd season. The show has a great concept and Josh Holloway’s dimples. They just need to flesh out the characters more and make them more human. Right now, they are a little wooden, especially Marg’s character. If they continue to infuse humor and back stories into the show, I think it has a chance of running as long as the show that used to ‘live’ in that time slot – Hawaii Five O.