Intelligence: To Be Cancelled or Renewed for Season Two?

Intelligence: canceled or renewed?CBS kept Hostages on the air even though it became obvious that it was doomed to be cancelled after one season. How has Intelligence fared? Will it suffer the same fate or will it be renewed for a second season instead?

On Intelligence, Gabriel Vaughn (Josh Holloway) is a high-tech intelligence operative who’s been enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. It allows him to be connected directly into the global information grid. Other castmembers include Marg Helgenberger, Meghan Ory, Michael Rady, John Billingsley, P. J. Byrne, Tomas Arana, Lance Reddick, and Peter Coyote.

Debuting on a Tuesday night in January, sandwiched between NCIS and Person of Interest, Intelligence’s first episode drew a very healthy 2.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 16.49 million viewers.

Unfortunately, most of those viewers didn’t return for the second episode the following Monday. That attracted just a 1.2 in the demo with 6.2 million, a decline of more than 50%.

The numbers have risen and fallen since then but have generally been moving downward. Last week’s episode tied a series low in the demo and hit a new low in viewership. Looking at the averages, it’s also the lowest-rated show currently on the network (aside from Saturday night’s 48 Hours).

Like Hostages before it, it’s clear that Intelligence won’t be back for a second season. The ratings are just too low. CBS recently renewed most of their primetime shows for next season. Intelligence was one of the few that were missing from that list.

At this point, we can hope that the producers finished the 13 episodes in a satisfying way.

But, what do you think? Do you like Intelligence? If you were running the network, would you renew it or cancel it to make way for something else?

356 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Sherrie Todd says

Love this show! Don’t know where they get their ratings from because everyone I have asked about whether they liked Intelligence or not loved it. Wish they keep it on.

2. The Bluelady says

Intelligence is one of the better new programs this year. Josh Holloway is a perfect fit ! My husband and I watch Intelligence each week. Please, don’t cancel Intelligence! Give it a change to gather a following.

3. says

I love the drama and the interaction of the cast. I hope it returns for another season then if they don’t want to renew at least have closure. It’s frustrating when a series ends and your guessing how it might have ended.

4. Barbara says

They put this show up AGAINST Blacklist & Castle — what did they think would happen? Who ever programs these new Shows needs to re-think what they’re doing!!!

• JoyousOne says

Totally agree – there are plenty of other evening slots to put shows — spread them out better for goodness sakes then maybe these shows could have time to grow the fans.

5. Chris says

I have been following the show since the first episode and like most of you, I’ve enjoyed Intelligence. Unfortunately, most of today’s society enjoy watching reality shows instead of drama. If this show is not renewed, I for one will tune out CBS as they will not deserve my viewership.

6. John Q Public says

This show should be renewed. I do like it and it is 1,000 % better than all of these very stupid sitcoms the keep getting renewed year after year. It just shows the Intelligence level of most TV viewers. I can’t stand many of the shows on TV these days but this one is not too bad. Please renew it for several years to come.

7. Nancy Schmidt says

I didn’t like the show at first, but it’s improved and I can’t stop watching. It deserves a second season. CBS needs to start giving shows a longer chance and this is one worth trying. The show has a top-notch cast and the writing has greatly improved. Come on CBS, take a chance and give it one more full season.

8. Ward says

I’d like to see the series renewed for a second season. It got off to a slow start, but I think it deserves another chance.

9. Nick says

I have to say that I honestly couldn’t care if this show gets canceled or not. This is a standard procedural with a stupid gimmick that doesn’t even have strong writing, compelling characters, or great acting to make it worthwhile. Because I’m addicted to TV, I’ve seen every episode of this show, and after each one I am left thinking, “My God, why am I watching this garbage?”

10. Kate Fredericks says

CBS was once a very smart network. That was 10 years and before ago. I’m not sure what is happening over there (my sense is a few good executives retired and the children with big ideal dreams took over, following ABC and NBC down the sewer). I am hoping they will renew this show that had a few shaky shows at the beginning, but has fixed it and is now an NCIS in the early stages. The cast is first class, the stories are finally making sense, more than that, are very intelligent, funny, and WORTH RENEWAL. However, I am not holding my breath. I have read about a lot of new shows coming up and it was one of the most depressing moments of this year. There wasn’t one out of about 15 that looked even remotely interesting. CBS no longer cares about their audience. But with the numbers they are being delivered by their already proven hits, one would think they could take a chance on a late bloomer with huge potential. I won’t hold my breath. But I hope they renew it. If not, hubby and I have decided to dump expensive cable and live by our ROKU. Cable is getting less interesting by the day!

11. says

This is a very intelligent show! love the premise and beats all of these so called “reality shows” with their fake scripting. I don’t like many shows on tv these days, many are just silly and no substance. This show uses technology and human nature to make a interesting twist in scenarios. Why remove this one and keep some of the all the no talent reality crap going? Save Intelligence for the people who appreciate it. Susie