The Jeff Dunham Show: The Real Reason It Was Cancelled?

Jeff Dunham ShowA couple weeks ago, we reported that Comedy Central had decided to cancel The Jeff Dunham Show after just one season.

The ventriloquist/comedian isn’t going anywhere though. Jeff Dunham’s still got a very popular act that he performs around the country and Comedy Central has said they’ll continue to work with him on his live tour, a stand-up special, DVDs, and other products.

When the news of the show’s cancellation came out, some were confused as to why the show had been cancelled. After all, The Jeff Dunham Show had the biggest premiere in the cable channel’s history with 5.3 million viewers and a 2.2 demo rating. Unfortunately, those great ratings didn’t last and viewership went way down for the subsequent episodes. The season (now series) finale only attracted 1.3 million viewers. Like most, Dunham’s show was cancelled because of low ratings.

Or was it? The guys over at Funny or Die have their own theory as to why The Jeff Dunham Show is no more. Take a look.

Anonymous January 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

This world is WAAAAAY too politically correct. If the show offends you then don’t watch it! Do you remember the comedian Don Rickles? He was an INSULT COMIC. People knew he would insult different races and they bought tickets anyway. They just laughed along. AH! The good old days when everything you said wasn’t monitored and sent to the PC police!

murph April 22, 2013 at 12:23 am

I’m offended by how easily your offended. And ‘politically incorrect’ jokes don’t push people apart, they pull people together. Unless some entitled precious little snowflake has ditched the sensitivity training seminar to produce an unfunny parody of an act they will never be able to top, because humor is one of the ways, maybe even the most effective way, of dealing with heinous BS.
You want to heal the world, be a good little soldier for Gaia? Then maybe you should concentrate on some of the actual problems that exist, famine, ignorance, slavery, disease, genocide, you know, real problems, that effect real people, instead of adding to the worlds misery. I know, doing things that matter requires thoughtfulness and rational analysis, it’s a little more complicated than singing to the choir.
In the words of another favorite comedian, Life sucks, get a helmet.

Anonymous January 21, 2011 at 9:05 pm

i love jeff dunhams videos they are hiliarious but the show royally sucked i saw several episodes but not one of them was slightly funny at all. I hope jeff continues his stand up and dvds that is where his talent truly lies

Priyant Ranjan January 29, 2010 at 7:57 am

Jeff Dunham is awesome comedian ever .Who the hell cancel there channel show due low rating inspite u are getting a large amount of viewer???

Chris January 29, 2010 at 3:26 am

I love Jeff Dunham and I liked the terrorist puppet – but was offended by it every time I heard it. Personally, I don’t believe in God, but most of the people that I know, do. When I see that puppet, I think about what it would be like if the puppet was a KKK puppet making Christian jokes – and I know that my Christian friends would be offended. Are the jokes funny? Sure. But the reason that off-color jokes (about race, religion or sexual preferance) aren’t politically correct is that they pull society apart rather than pull it together.

Anonymous June 27, 2010 at 7:41 pm

but yet its funny when black comidiens make jokes about white people?

Anonymous June 30, 2010 at 8:30 pm

two words CARLOS MENCIA!!!
Why is it ok for him to make politically incorrect jokes but others cant????>:(

Scott January 20, 2010 at 11:49 am

The show was a crock. Sorry to be the one the say it, but it was. I watched two episodes and stopped because it really wasn’t funny. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love Jeff Dunham. I love the characters he created, I love the jokes, but this type of show didn’t show off his talents and I think Comedy Central realized that after he went thru a season.

I wish him the best, and can’t wait to see him on stand-up again, where he truly belongs.

John and Dusty Eversoll January 19, 2010 at 7:58 am

I got to tell ya, That is a big misstake! In todays tv we have Killings murder movies / What this country Needs is more laughter
and Jeff Dunnham is just what was needed. I am just glad that I taped the shows that he did… I hope that You guys at Comedy Central
Have KNEE PADS” and crawl to him BEGGING him to come back!
I would love to see him but probably couldn’t afford too.

andy January 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

u werent missin much, the show was shit compared to his stand up dvds

Bonnie January 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Man I didn’t even know he had a show. I love him and would of watched faithfully. Great advertising Comedy Central.