Jericho: Cancelled CBS Series to Return Midseason?

Skeet Ulrich of cancelled Jericho on CBSIt’s being reported that CBS is currently in negotiations with the cast and producers of the cancelled series Jericho to revive it for midseason. Right now, it’s sounding like a sophomore year would be made up of only eight episodes but that’s certainly far more than what was expected.

As fans of the Skeet Ulrich series know all too well, the series was cut short a few weeks ago after the conclusion of its first year. The season ended in a cliffhanger and fans were not pleased. They have mounted a huge online campaign and, aside from signing the usual petitions, have barraged the network with phone calls, letters, emails and, to date, almost 40,000 pounds of nuts. “Nuts” refers to a battle cry Ulrich’s character yelled to oncoming attackers. CBS made a statement that they were working to find a way to wrap up the series but fans have kept the protests coming.

Final word from CBS should come down very soon — no doubt the network is running out of storage space for all of those boxes of nuts. Jericho creator and executive producer Carol Barbee said, “The idea would not be to bring it for eight and out, but to bring it back for eight with the hope that it would keep going. They’re making deals with the actors and there’s other logistical stuff to work out too. Swingtown [a new drama series] was supposed to take over the same [sound] stages so it’s a lot about the logistics of how to work out a schedule that works for all of us.”

Talks are under way with castmembers of Jericho to return. The network reportedly has options on all of the actors, but the deals need to be modified to reflect the timing and size of the episode order. Due to budget reductions, some actors may not return.

One thing’s fairly certain. You won’t be seeing Gerald McRaney’s character returning from the dead. He was reportedly not happy on the series and asked to leave prior to the cancellation. He prefers to focus on his work on Deadwood and presumably hopes to be part of the pair of upcoming HBO films. A personal representative for the actor said, “Gerald is moving on. He’s thrilled that HBO has submitted him for Emmy consideration for Deadwood, in which he appeared as publisher George Hearst. Although he enjoyed working with the people at Jericho, the Deadwood experience was one of the best of his entire professional career.”

If Jericho does return for another season, it’s likely that a DVD set of the first season is imminent — a September date is rumored. If a second season of Jericho performs well, could a third season be far behind? No doubt CBS will be watching and planning for that contingency very carefully.

Lots of show supporters have mounted campaigns over the years, mostly with limited or no success. If this campaign actually works and the network returns Jericho, it gives hope to many fans of other cancelled shows. Speak loud enough and long enough and you will be heard. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Amanda August 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I loved Jericho it was the best tv show I have seen. Here’s hoping it comes back, English television is bland in comparison. Hurry up series three and more of the suspense.

bobby belcher December 16, 2007 at 11:12 pm

saw first preview of “jerico returns” after survivor 12/16/2007 ! looks great. looks like they spent some money on effects right out of the gate…could be better than ever !

Sherry December 11, 2007 at 10:29 pm

I have been waiting patiently for the return of Jerico and I am hoping with all the emails, etc. that there may be a chance of a return. Keep the nuts coming!!

mary prestidge November 2, 2007 at 6:26 am

I WANT JERICHO TO COME BACK ON I LOVED THE SHOW PLESES
PUT IT BACK ON TV

Cindy Ostrander September 26, 2007 at 1:56 pm

I HOPE THIS ISN’T A FARCE. MY WHOLE FAMILY HAS BEEN WAITING FOR JERICO TO COME BACK ON. WE DONT WATCH ANYTHING ON WED.NIGHTS. BUT JERICO. WE WERE DEVISTATED WHEN WE HEARD THEY WERE CANCELING JERICO. THEN HEARING THEY WERE BRINGINGIT BACK YAAHOO,CAN’T WAIT. JUST HURRY UP GET IT TOGETHER AND GET IT BACK ON. THANK YOU
CINDY

sue September 22, 2007 at 9:45 am

Hi. I was upset to hear that Jericho was cancelled. With the way the world is going now it’s good to have an insight into what needs to be done to survive. I’m going to miss Gerald MCRaney but the show is still good. This series shows how people can band together and become stronger friends and family. it may be bloody but what isnt in the way of news on tv? this show isnt any different than real life. like I said it does give insight. keep it on the air.
thanks.

Rhonda September 7, 2007 at 7:26 am

Love Jericho!! One of the best tv series I have seen in a long time!! I cant believe there isnt more of a fan base for this show. I guess people like those silly comedy shows, the ones that really are not funny, just stupid, Im thankfully, certainly not one of them. I wouldnt waste my time and electricity one any one of them, however I do plan to check out the new Caveman show. Thanks for keeping Jericho, the only other show on tv I liked was Deadwood on HBO and it got cancelled as well. HBO also got cancelled on my TV. Thanks again CBS!!!!

bria July 20, 2007 at 5:56 pm

If you cancle Jericho then i will louse my favrit show i watch it every week with my dad it is what makes Wensdays good it’s the only reason i like wensdays so please please please dont cancle it.

I LOVE JERICHO

Giuseppe Clemente July 18, 2007 at 5:04 am

I hope Jericho is really back!!! We love it in Italy. Please CBS continue this GREAT tv show!!! Don’t even think to cancel it ok? Or I’ll contact Robert Hawkins, and you know what does this mean… ;)
All my support from Italy

XaiLo June 21, 2007 at 12:13 pm

The save of the century. I commented to my wife just last night when she asked me what’s on TV? I responded since they took Jericho off I really haven’t cared much what was on Wednesday night. I just heard CBS annouce it’s mid season return Friday July 6th. WooHoo thanks guys.

Connie Reiersen June 7, 2007 at 1:07 pm

CBS Thank you for the return of Jerico.

ThrillaGorilla June 6, 2007 at 7:33 pm

JERICHO!

It’s back! Sounds like we need a podcast update to let everyone know the good news and that all their hard work payed off.

Marsha June 6, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Wow! Finally a “save the show” campaign that might work! Their campaign was clever. Partnering with Nuts Online was genius.

Nancy June 5, 2007 at 4:19 pm

While I will miss Johnston and his humor very much, I wish Gerald McRaney God speed.
Crossing my fingers that JERICHO is back on the air soon.
Thanks to all who have helped try to save the show.
Waiting for the official word is murder!